Traveling with an MD

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Traveling with an MD

I used to travel with my 1280 many years ago and it had a hard case. This is when it was included in the price. I checked it with the baggage. Soon though I had a RV and some detectors were always with me where ever I went.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

I would break your MD down all the way,check the shafts and carry on the brain and the coil,keep batteries in the brain in case they want to turn it on. Ive flown within the last 6 months and carried mine through 4 airports and customs going and coming and never had any trouble at all,have a nice trip...Shoot

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Most of the time I travel by RV, with detectors along with.

I will be flying to Florida soon to visit my Mom; to avoid any possible airport problems or baggage damage, I'm shipping the detector via USPS (Insured ) a few days ahead to her home, and then shipping it back home when I leave.

Yea, I know it costs a bit more, but it's minor in comparisan to the cost of the flight, car rental, etc. And chances of it arriving damaged, or not at all, is less.

Dick

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I took mine to the west coast a couple months ago. Broke it down and put it into a small suitcase. Packed it with foam rubber. Checked the bag and had no problems.

I also put the battery pack in a different bag. My experience is that bags with batteries get opened and searched.

DCMatt

diggndeep

Greenie
Jun 29, 2004
Utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer II w/X-1 probe - GMT

I've taken mine to Hawaii & Cancun a couple times. I put mine in a folding camp chair bag & carry it on. I get a window seat & put it along side the seat next to the window. DD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread