CLAD- DO YOU MEASURE SUCCESS BY NUMBER OF COINS FOUND OR MONETARY VALUE?

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The post about whether you should bother digging pennies led me to this question. Some MDers measure success by how many coins they dig (like me). I look at it as targets recovered, and the monetary value is secondary, since I sometimes dig a dime when it says it's a penny. Naturally, quarters, halves, etc give me a bigger thrill, but aesthetically I get more satisfaction that I recovered every target I sought.

Upvote 0

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
All depends on where the hunt is for me. If I am searching a park or beach area I consider myself "skunked" if I don't find at least a dollar in clad for the day. This rarely happens though as the locals seem to drop change everywhere plus I dig all the penny signals. Private property hunts are a little different. I have done several where no clad was found at all but the relics and jewelry finds more than made up for lack of coins. I just try to be positive no matter what I find. Once I hunted a park all day and only found garbage and 1 brand new penny. Then there was another hunt a few weeks ago where I came home with nearly $12 in clad and 3 rings after 5 hours. There are no guarantees in this hobby. You just never know what's there until you detect it...... HH! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still get a thrill from tabs and caps....somebody help me please. :sadsmiley:
2015-09-10 002.JPG

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it, a slabbed pull tab! :headbang:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like to find anything... but cents add up to bucks and i have used a lot of found coins to pay for gas food and laundry mat,,,,, but tend hang on to the pennies four coffee containers full of cents and pickle jar half full of dimes and nicky's .. but it does not matter i have fun looking has we all kno you never know what is really under the coil till you dig it

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that tab has to be rare only one i have seen in jail like that what is the value .00005 cents?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I have GOT to get myself one of those. That's priceless. :)

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate clad and will give up on a spot if no old coins show up. so clad is a sign of failure in research for me. i would rather dig a square nail.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do about 3 to 5 hundred bucks a year in clad so I cant ignore it.I'm after old coinage and jewelery.mining relics at times also.I LOVE to hunt and consider it a fine day if I'm out there,BUT,I'm a treasure hunter and its all about the monetary value.I expect results and put the work in.I have been blessed with the results I expect often enough to keep me satisfied.Number of coins means little to me.I dig all coin signals unless im in a park setting which is rare for me,maybe 10 times a year.I only dig mid tones and quarters up in parks(probe actually,I dont dig in parks)

I hunt in the mountains and focus alot on where the flatlanders pull over and snow play.A cladfest for sure but jewelery happens.In july my wife,myself,our daughter and her friend spent 3 days livin it up hunting the oc beaches in so cal and it was all paid for by selling a single find.thats what its all about for me.

:occasion14:

Last edited:

Patriots

Jul 16, 2015
Northern California
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the largest coin spills I found took me about about 40 minutes to pick up all the coins...About a dollar worth in pennies. It got old quickly and should have moved on. I still enjoy finding "stuff" including pennies but always wished for something a bit more interesting.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a novice and still learning, so for me it's about "what is under the plug?"
Could it be? Is it?
There's still that excitement of the hunt and the possibilities.................I'm happy to be rewarded with whatever coins are discovered..............

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
As a long time coin collector I hate finding clad. It's not about monetary value with me. I'd rather find one common date Barber quarter worth around 5 bucks than $20 worth of modern change.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to clad.. It montary value. I love detecting but im not out there to see how many pennies i can dig, its a waste of time. Typically when I find clad its by accident looking for silver or wheats ( to gove me hope of silver) thou it does add up. I range about 400-600 a year in clad. But i get no satisfaction digging 100 holes for 1 dollar. The only thing i keep track of our my silvers. I used to track my wheats but even that gets daunting.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a long time coin collector I hate finding clad. It's not about monetary value with me. I'd rather find one common date Barber quarter worth around 5 bucks than $20 worth of modern change.

Yes sir! These days, clad is just a step up from trash lol

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've been taking my $20 in clad, and buying nice 1800's coins. It all works out. :)

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love coins, I love digging coins, I love quarters more than pennies. But I love old pennies more than modern quarters. I really like finding old stuff thats just been waiting there for years for me to come along. I'm hooked on this crazy stuff, I can't go by an old building without wondering what might be in the ground. I must say finding something is better than finding nothing, value is in the eye of the beholder or should I say in the hand of the beholder ya gotta digit right? Also I want to say it doesn't matter what your detector is worth as long as your out there using it, just figure out whats your angle of attack and go for it, it might be your lucky day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread