CLAD- DO YOU MEASURE SUCCESS BY NUMBER OF COINS FOUND OR MONETARY VALUE?

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The post about whether you should bother digging pennies led me to this question. Some MDers measure success by how many coins they dig (like me). I look at it as targets recovered, and the monetary value is secondary, since I sometimes dig a dime when it says it's a penny. Naturally, quarters, halves, etc give me a bigger thrill, but aesthetically I get more satisfaction that I recovered every target I sought.

Upvote 0

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im happy when i get 1 penny or if i get a silver quarter. its the surprise of the hunt and to me penny's at up to dollars lol:thumbsup: :coins:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me its like fishing, if you catch something its a bonus. It's the thrill of the hunt I'm after.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If it's the beach (like after storm erosion), I go by # of coins found, to measure the success of the hunt. Because that becomes a measure of how much mother nature is grouping up targets (hence upping the odds of an eventual ring). If it's on land, I tend to figure out the face value, since I'm not-so-much gambling on gold jewelry finds when land hunting.

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me there's no way it could be about the money because if it was, I would find a hobby that made more but, when I dig a dime, I tend to think, "that's like digging 10 pennies"...

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still get a thrill from tabs and caps....somebody help me please. :sadsmiley:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Success is having fun.. some days you hit a new school and find $12 in quarters within the first 2 hours and it feels like a jackpot. Another day you are on an old property and find a old coin that you can hardly make out to identify and is worthless and it is a great day.. Another day you go out for 3 hours in the woods and find nothing but it is a really nice day! Dirt fishin is fishin..

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hunt places like modern parks and schools. My first level of "success" is, did I find any coins at all? Then my second level is, were they only pennies or did I find any nickels and up? If I can find nickels and up, that's usually nice, at least for me.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The post about whether you should bother digging pennies led me to this question. Some MDers measure success by how many coins they dig (like me). I look at it as targets recovered, and the monetary value is secondary, since I sometimes dig a dime when it says it's a penny. Naturally, quarters, halves, etc give me a bigger thrill, but aesthetically I get more satisfaction that I recovered every target I sought.

For me, it's a bit of both... I won't regularly dig pennies, but if the signal is off even a little bit, I'm on it. Just pulled a 925 ring the other day with a penny signal that had a hiccup... The ring was smashed flat, and gave a weird signal.

At the end of the day, I call a successful hunt, where I make more than $2 an hour in clad, OR I find a ring of some sort. I love rings...

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, I call it a successful hunt as long as I can get away for a few hours and not think about anything but the beeps coming through the headphones. No work, family nonsense, bills...just me and the sound of beeps. If I happen to walk away with enough to cover the gas and the batteries for that day, then its a plus. If a piece of jewelry or an old coin/silver coin happen to show up then I consider it a great hunt. If I were to ever have a day like some of the more prolific hunters on here average like Vino, Casper, Crusader, and others then I would probably consider it an epic hunt for me :)

-TwoYewts...listening to the beeps.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with hunting places with lots of change concentration like parks and schools to get a hang of the detector. But once I got into relic hunting old cellar holes and such modern change is not something I love to see a lot of. If I'm finding it then I know the site I'm hitting is not unknown to others.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I did all acceptable signals. Happy with a cent, delighted with a quarter. Silver coins begat satisfaction of the hunt. Jewelry is a very separate excitement.

Clad buys batteries. Dispose of all trash properly and fill all holes.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on what kind of hunting I am doing? If I go out for clad, I go for the dollar amount. When I do a permission, I am elated if I pull 50 cents, but in that 50 cent there are some silvers, IHPs or other keepers. Last season in 7 months I dug over $500 and mainly hunted public lands. This year I mainly do permissions and am at $241.54, but boy have I found some goodies. The next plug could be "the plug"....

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just getting out to swing is a success in itself.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me there's no way it could be about the money because if it was, I would find a hobby that made more but, when I dig a dime, I tend to think, "that's like digging 10 pennies"...

Oh I TOTALLY do that. My other "Brain bender" is when I find a nickel, I think, "Wayyy better than a pop top!"

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a park or school i count number of coins. When you can dig 200 or so coins its a good day

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a coin shooter by nature, and pride myself on the NUMBERS of coins found,
monetary value, unimportant - however, I (do) search for silver, gold and jewelry (don't you, too?)
Love spills, as well.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me clad is all about cash, since it goes into the coin jar which gets cashed in a few times a year for entertainment/fun money. So, a handful of pennies is not the same as a handful of quarters. I do pickup pennies, but generally aren't happy if that is all I go home with. Anything else, like rings or silver is a bonus.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
My wife is sure i have not found enough to even pay for the batteries, but I just get a smile when I find ANYTHING better than a pop top! I can come home and say I found 23 cents and that to me was a good hunt, she can just roll her eyes and say I'm glad you had fun dear! I actually end up at years end with well over $150.00 worth of coin so I guess I think the amount is how I rate a good hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread