Hunting cache

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
i will have the opportunity to hunt a property this weekend where an eyewitness saw her uncle bury money when she was a little girl. This has been about 30 years ago and the uncle is deceased. She has given me a general area to look in and my question is, is there any special technique to approaching this kind of hunt? Her uncle was my first cousin and his father has given me permission to hunt there. I will be splitting any money found with him.

Rick

Upvote 0

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Im not familiar with Minelabs but im sure they have an all metal mode to them. So with me and my Garretts i wouldnt use any discrim cause that cuts out your depth. and dig everything big or even small depending on the size of what it is your searching. other than that just hunt like any other. good luck.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I'd go post this over in the Cache hunting forum... just in case nobody over there saw it. or... do a quick search to find any useful info

steve

K

Kentucky Kache

jonnyrebel00 said:
Im not familiar with Minelabs but im sure they have an all metal mode to them. So with me and my Garretts i wouldnt use any discrim cause that cuts out your depth. and dig everything big or even small depending on the size of what it is your searching. other than that just hunt like any other. good luck.
That just about says it all. The only other thing I can think of is use a big coil. Wish you the best, and look forward to hearing your success story.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
If you know what kind of container was used to bury it in, it shouldn't be to hard to find, but may need to do some probing with a metal or fiberglass rod.

Good luck!......HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use of a larger coil will get you more depth as will all metal mode. Sure you will find trash too, but you need to remember that people that buried things would use some way to id where it was. Examples are a nail under a tree limb where a plumb bob would hang, or near a fence row where the wire could be on the wrong side of the post. It most likely wouldn't just be in the middle of a yard. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread