Ziggenation

Greenie
Oct 26, 2014
Elbe, Washington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm headed off in a couple of weeks to live in Vietnam for 3 months and am bringing my F2. I can't find anything on not being able to do it and I have someone doing research for me over there as we speak. I imagine certain things can't leave\enter the country. My concerns are safety, #1 from people, #2 unexploded ordinance, and maybe ground balancing. I'm not sure if I will have to or even can balance my machine.

Any tips ya'll have, advice? Anything I need to think of that I haven't? Would you even do it? I mean there is a real possibility of finding explosive stuff I would think.

Upvote 0

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No laws against detecting in Vietnam. Don't bother asking any authorities because they don't know diddly squat about the hobby and most vietnamese are not interested in history.
There is a real possibility of digging up some ordinance and if you do it's best to contact the local police. In all my years roaming around Vietnam I've only seen three people using metal detectors. Two on the beach and one guy inland.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a viet man who has been detecting Vung Tau Beach for many years and he might be annoyed if he sees anyone else on his turf. There's a pic of him in my album pulling a shovel behind him to mark the sand where he's already searched.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i always tell people that i didnt need for learn the language ,because if a dollar didnt get what you wanted a m16 would
My " conversational Vietnamese " was much different. I learned , " Hands up, hands behind your back, get outta that hole , lay down , sit down , come here , surrender , you want me to kill you, etc. "

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
How about one of my favorites, spelling aside, Ahn cuc va chet. I will not translate but I bet you know it! (memories) The only thing I swung over there was a gun barrel. TTC

Something about feces and die :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little search shows 800,000 Tons of un exploded ordinances remain in Vietnam.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread