Ziggenation

Greenie
Oct 26, 2014
Elbe, Washington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm headed off in a couple of weeks to live in Vietnam for 3 months and am bringing my F2. I can't find anything on not being able to do it and I have someone doing research for me over there as we speak. I imagine certain things can't leave\enter the country. My concerns are safety, #1 from people, #2 unexploded ordinance, and maybe ground balancing. I'm not sure if I will have to or even can balance my machine.

Any tips ya'll have, advice? Anything I need to think of that I haven't? Would you even do it? I mean there is a real possibility of finding explosive stuff I would think.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swinging in Vietnam ? ? ?

I have heard there are some bad STD's over there... be careful :P

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check with the US Embassy they might know what the local laws are for swinging a rod over younder good luck and travel safe

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Chao Ong,

It has been 40 years since the war's end. There are likely no "cowboys", or the tribes of kids surrounding you, all with hands tugging on you taking your watch, your wallet, or your life. I watched a man who turned out to be an army colonel drop to the sidewalk as the kids scattered. He fought with them and they cut his throat.

There's no VC or NVA wanting to kill you anymore.

Any "ladies of the night (or day)" likely to be out in the open offering their moments entertaining your lusts will be rare- openly anyway.

Co ca dep lam! = You (single lady) are very beautiful

Toi yeu em suoung lam! = I love you (intimately) very much

Toi muon hut thuoc canh sa - I want to smoke pot

Mot, hai, ba, bon, nam, sau, bay, tam, chin, muoi = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

I was an interpreter for the 4th Infantry Division in the Central Highlands for 17 months - the language never completely goes away. I've often considered returning, even sent out resumes looking for a job there once.

Enjoy yourself, you should be safe - though do protect yourself in female activities. I was very popular there, a young man surrounded at all times with pretty ladies once they saw I spoke the language, and I left disease free.

It will take you a bit to get used to the smell though.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
You cannot ground balance an F2. If you find out that detecting is allowed over there, I would invest a little money in a better machine. The F2 is capable and I have found some cool stuff with it, but I wouldn't chance going to a foreign country with a detector that is not the best I could possibly bring. You don't want to regret not having a better detector looking back on this trip.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
check with the US Embassy they might know what the local laws are for swinging a rod over younder good luck and travel safe

Do you realize that if someone from a foreign country were considering vacationing in the USA, and did as you suggest, they might get a "no detecting in the USA" ? Because whomever they're asking (some desk-bound embassy pencil pusher) perhaps couches their answer in terms of ARPA, etc....

There is the humorous story for example, of someone doing what you suggest to border officials (travel consulates or whatever) in Mexico. And their "pressing question" came back with a "no". Imagine the tourists surprise, when they arrive at their Mexican beach resort, and see others swinging on the beach with no problem whatsoever ? :icon_scratch: Obviously then the question had been couched in terms of antiquities, shipwreck salvor stuff, raiding the pyramids, exporting gold bars out of the country, blah blah blah.

Thus no, it's not a good idea to ask officials that question. Find hobbyists there and ask them what the real skinny is. If you see posts from persons in-said-country who are posting their show & tell, then that tells you there's legal places to do it. If a person can't find hobbyists from that country on-line on forums somewhere, they can also do this: All the major manufacturers (Whites, Fisher, Minelab, etc...) have dealers around the globe, right ? See who their dealer is in that country, (or a nearby one where persons would travel in and out), and simply call and ask them.

And I notice the OP says: "I can't find anything on not being able to do it". If that's the case (that he can find no prohibitions, despite researching the applicable laws), then presto: It's not prohibited. Naturally, like ANY place on the globe, you avoid sensitive historic monuments, etc....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A suggestion here....

Presuming you are single....

Why don't you join one of the free dating sites and search for Vietnamese ladies there. They'd be all over you if you told them you were planning to visit there.

Talk to a few and ask them about metal detecting :)

Even Christian Dating For Free has Vietnamese ladies on it. Others do as well. All you have to do is search by country. They'd love a free ticket over, but you don't have to go for that or even meet them. You just might find your answer there from a local.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subscribed. Please keep the updates coming once you get there, here's hoping you find some interesting items!

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
The soil over there varies a great deal. Nice rich topsoil to red clay, according to where you are at. The F2 is automatic ground balance & should work OK over there , just like it does here. Not the greatest detector but I wouldn't want to take an expensive one over there, anyway. I am SURE that there is a lot of unexploded ordnance left all over the country . Be careful !

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Central Highlands was red clay. Hard dirt with entrenching tool :(

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Chao Ong,

It has been 40 years since the war's end. There are likely no "cowboys", or the tribes of kids surrounding you, all with hands tugging on you taking your watch, your wallet, or your life. I watched a man who turned out to be an army colonel drop to the sidewalk as the kids scattered. He fought with them and they cut his throat.

Any "ladies of the night (or day)" likely to be out in the open offering their moments entertaining your lusts will be rare- openly anyway.

Mot, hai, ba, bon, nam, sau, bay, tam, chin, muoi = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

I was an interpreter for the 4th Infantry Division in the Central Highlands for 17 months - the language never completely goes away. I've often considered returning, even sent out resumes looking for a job there once.

Enjoy yourself, you should be safe - though do protect yourself in female activities. I was very popular there, a young man surrounded at all times with pretty ladies once they saw I spoke the language, and I left disease free.

My " conversational Vietnamese " was much different. I learned , " Hands up, hands behind your back, get outta that hole , lay down , sit down , come here , surrender , you want me to kill you, etc. "

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My " conversational Vietnamese " was much different. I learned , " Hands up, hands behind your back, get outta that hole , lay down , sit down , come here , surrender , you want me to kill you, etc. "

Well, you wouldn't want to frighten him (or them) would you :)

After the 4th pulled out early November of '70, I had my "second" tour to spend in Nha Trang - a resort city. I rented a house downtown complete with lady friend for $30 a month and idled through the last almost 5 months in country in the pursuit of the pleasures of life! Then I returned here and found life a readjustment...

Of course there were "maintenance fees" required in that "vacation" - she always needed money... Hmmm.... Not so different from married life in the red white & blue.....

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chao Ong,

How about one of my favorites, spelling aside, Ahn cuc va chet. I will not translate but I bet you know it! (memories) The only thing I swung over there was a gun barrel. TTC

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'll be moving to Hanoi, Vietnam to start a new job next year. I'd love to connect with any detectorists there, if there are currently any.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
there is someone that comes on there,plus i think there is going to be a formula one race there next year.but like we told him there a LOT OF BAD THINGS IN THE GROUND THERE THAT WILL KILL YOU.bombs,rockets,booby traps.
good luck, there 71-72 brad

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Their is a guy who goes by the name “Beach Pirate” he moved there and married a Vietnamese woman. He drives his scooter all around to different beaches. I’ve watched many of his vids. Finds quite a bit of good stuff. Check him out on YouTube.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in the brush and you hear a click don't lift your foot.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No more golden B Bs. My thoughts, be very careful and find a friend that speaks english and can accompany you... Im in Thailand right now and i think that having a friend is a must.....Their Antiquity laws should be respected...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread