Swinging in Vietnam
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Swinging in Vietnam

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Live to Hunt

Oct 2014
    Elbe, Washington
    Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
    10 times
    Prospecting

Swinging in Vietnam

I'm headed off in a couple of weeks to live in Vietnam for 3 months and am bringing my F2. I can't find anything on not being able to do it and I have someone doing research for me over there as we speak. I imagine certain things can't leave\enter the country. My concerns are safety, #1 from people, #2 unexploded ordinance, and maybe ground balancing. I'm not sure if I will have to or even can balance my machine.

Any tips ya'll have, advice? Anything I need to think of that I haven't? Would you even do it? I mean there is a real possibility of finding explosive stuff I would think.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    55535 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Swinging in Vietnam ? ? ?

I have heard there are some bad STD's over there... be careful :P
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Live to Hunt

Oct 2014
    Elbe, Washington
    Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
    10 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Swinging in Vietnam ? ? ?

I have heard there are some bad STD's over there... be careful :P
    Eh, I'll just double bag it...
    AARC and Blak bart like this.

us
    Oct 2011
    Keystone state
    AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
    1772 times
    check with the US Embassy they might know what the local laws are for swinging a rod over younder good luck and travel safe
    AARC, Ziggenation and Loco-Digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18633 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Chao Ong,

It has been 40 years since the war's end. There are likely no "cowboys", or the tribes of kids surrounding you, all with hands tugging on you taking your watch, your wallet, or your life. I watched a man who turned out to be an army colonel drop to the sidewalk as the kids scattered. He fought with them and they cut his throat.

There's no VC or NVA wanting to kill you anymore.

Any "ladies of the night (or day)" likely to be out in the open offering their moments entertaining your lusts will be rare- openly anyway.

Co ca dep lam! = You (single lady) are very beautiful

Toi yeu em suoung lam! = I love you (intimately) very much

Toi muon hut thuoc canh sa - I want to smoke pot

Mot, hai, ba, bon, nam, sau, bay, tam, chin, muoi = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

I was an interpreter for the 4th Infantry Division in the Central Highlands for 17 months - the language never completely goes away. I've often considered returning, even sent out resumes looking for a job there once.

Enjoy yourself, you should be safe - though do protect yourself in female activities. I was very popular there, a young man surrounded at all times with pretty ladies once they saw I spoke the language, and I left disease free.

It will take you a bit to get used to the smell though.
    TerryC, Blak bart, Gare and 4 others like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Detector Collector

May 2015
    Madison, MS
    Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
    2230 times
    I mainly coin shoot, but I also enjoy relic hunting and shallow ocean hunting.
    You cannot ground balance an F2. If you find out that detecting is allowed over there, I would invest a little money in a better machine. The F2 is capable and I have found some cool stuff with it, but I wouldn't chance going to a foreign country with a detector that is not the best I could possibly bring. You don't want to regret not having a better detector looking back on this trip.
    DizzyDigger and Ziggenation like this.
    Clad - 2 dollars, 274 quarters, 282 dimes, 115 nickels, 787 pennies, 1 foreign
    Older - 1 Barber Half, 1 Walker, 1 Franklin, 1 Seated Qtr, 1 Barber Qtr, 5 Washington, 4 Barber Dimes, 12 Mercs, 13 Rosies
    1 CB Half Dime, 1 Shield, 3 Vs, 8 Buffalos, 4 War Nickels, 10 IHPs, 137 Wheats, 1803 Half Real
    Relics - 1 3-Ringer, 1 Round Ball, Silver fork, 3 pocket knives, Gem Micromatic razor, small compact, Silver bib clip, Silver brush, skeleton key
    Jewelry - 2 Gold rings, 2 Silver rings, Silver bracelet, Silver earring, 3 Silver charms, lady's watch

Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.

Captain Caveman

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10073 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsdq View Post
    check with the US Embassy they might know what the local laws are for swinging a rod over younder good luck and travel safe
    Do you realize that if someone from a foreign country were considering vacationing in the USA, and did as you suggest, they might get a "no detecting in the USA" ? Because whomever they're asking (some desk-bound embassy pencil pusher) perhaps couches their answer in terms of ARPA, etc....

There is the humorous story for example, of someone doing what you suggest to border officials (travel consulates or whatever) in Mexico. And their "pressing question" came back with a "no". Imagine the tourists surprise, when they arrive at their Mexican beach resort, and see others swinging on the beach with no problem whatsoever ? Obviously then the question had been couched in terms of antiquities, shipwreck salvor stuff, raiding the pyramids, exporting gold bars out of the country, blah blah blah.

Thus no, it's not a good idea to ask officials that question. Find hobbyists there and ask them what the real skinny is. If you see posts from persons in-said-country who are posting their show & tell, then that tells you there's legal places to do it. If a person can't find hobbyists from that country on-line on forums somewhere, they can also do this: All the major manufacturers (Whites, Fisher, Minelab, etc...) have dealers around the globe, right ? See who their dealer is in that country, (or a nearby one where persons would travel in and out), and simply call and ask them.

And I notice the OP says: "I can't find anything on not being able to do it". If that's the case (that he can find no prohibitions, despite researching the applicable laws), then presto: It's not prohibited. Naturally, like ANY place on the globe, you avoid sensitive historic monuments, etc....
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18633 times
    A suggestion here....

Presuming you are single....

Why don't you join one of the free dating sites and search for Vietnamese ladies there. They'd be all over you if you told them you were planning to visit there.

Talk to a few and ask them about metal detecting

Even Christian Dating For Free has Vietnamese ladies on it. Others do as well. All you have to do is search by country. They'd love a free ticket over, but you don't have to go for that or even meet them. You just might find your answer there from a local.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

us
    Sep 2015
    Mesa AZ
    White's Spectra V3i ~~~~ w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe Fisher F75 - ProArc w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
    36 times
    Subscribed. Please keep the updates coming once you get there, here's hoping you find some interesting items!

us
    Jul 2011
    635 times
    The soil over there varies a great deal. Nice rich topsoil to red clay, according to where you are at. The F2 is automatic ground balance & should work OK over there , just like it does here. Not the greatest detector but I wouldn't want to take an expensive one over there, anyway. I am SURE that there is a lot of unexploded ordnance left all over the country . Be careful !

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    18633 times
    Central Highlands was red clay. Hard dirt with entrenching tool

us
    Jul 2011
    635 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Chao Ong,

It has been 40 years since the war's end. There are likely no "cowboys", or the tribes of kids surrounding you, all with hands tugging on you taking your watch, your wallet, or your life. I watched a man who turned out to be an army colonel drop to the sidewalk as the kids scattered. He fought with them and they cut his throat.

Any "ladies of the night (or day)" likely to be out in the open offering their moments entertaining your lusts will be rare- openly anyway.

Mot, hai, ba, bon, nam, sau, bay, tam, chin, muoi = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

I was an interpreter for the 4th Infantry Division in the Central Highlands for 17 months - the language never completely goes away. I've often considered returning, even sent out resumes looking for a job there once.

Enjoy yourself, you should be safe - though do protect yourself in female activities. I was very popular there, a young man surrounded at all times with pretty ladies once they saw I spoke the language, and I left disease free.

My " conversational Vietnamese " was much different. I learned , " Hands up, hands behind your back, get outta that hole , lay down , sit down , come here , surrender , you want me to kill you, etc. "

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    18633 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptEsteban View Post
    My " conversational Vietnamese " was much different. I learned , " Hands up, hands behind your back, get outta that hole , lay down , sit down , come here , surrender , you want me to kill you, etc. "
    Well, you wouldn't want to frighten him (or them) would you

After the 4th pulled out early November of '70, I had my "second" tour to spend in Nha Trang - a resort city. I rented a house downtown complete with lady friend for $30 a month and idled through the last almost 5 months in country in the pursuit of the pleasures of life! Then I returned here and found life a readjustment...

Of course there were "maintenance fees" required in that "vacation" - she always needed money... Hmmm.... Not so different from married life in the red white & blue.....
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Sep 14, 2015 at 07:34 AM.
    CaptEsteban likes this.

us
    Jul 2011
    635 times
    I wonder about detecting at Vung Tau ?

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    8018 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Chao Ong,

How about one of my favorites, spelling aside, Ahn cuc va chet. I will not translate but I bet you know it! (memories) The only thing I swung over there was a gun barrel. TTC
    Gare and DeepseekerADS like this.
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144 1-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links