To Slump or not to Slump. Its not really a question...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To Slump or not to Slump. It's not really a question...

I've been finding, that as I get better at detecting (both in discrimination of targets to increase good to trash ratios, and site/location selection to increase probability of good finds), I've become more adept at having "good days."

An interesting effect is that it's easier for me to feel like I'm in a "Slump" if I have more than a trip or two where it's just a buck or two in clad. Basically, if I'm not finding rings that are silver, gold, or of some worth, or having a killer clad hunt (like $5 or more), I finish the day a bit down.

I KNOW this is ridiculous. I started the hobby thrilled to find $0.60 in a whole hunt... and now I average about $1.80 an hour. I was super happy to start with, but if I have a hunt or two that's "off" a bit, I get bummed out. I certainly can't complain about my finds... I find a couple of gold/silver rings a month, and for the last 3 months running, I've averaged about $70 in clad per month. That's decent for just lunch time hunting, and a few hours on Saturday.

I assume others are like this... where the getting has been so good for so long, that when you don't find great finds a few times in a row, it feels "slumpy." That being said, I'm sure definitions will vary depending on environment. For example, I live in a city that was largely built in the 1960's and later. There's hardly ANY silver in the ground. In fact, I've NEVER found a single silver coin. If that's your definition, I'm in a lifetime slump. LOL! For some, like those in the ocean business, not finding a gold ring or two in 2 or 3 hunts may be a slump (I WISH I could find a gold ring every 3 hunts!)...

Sooo... The question that is not a question.

FOR YOU... What constitutes a slump?

For me.. a slump is where I've gone three hunts without a decent ring/jewelry of some sort or at least $5 in clad.

Skippy

Upvote 0

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once I hit a worthy target, for me a musket ball or button or so on (relics), while I wish for more, I consider it a good day. If i hit none I consider it a bad day. If i hit none 2 detecting days in a row, I'm in a slump.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once I hit a worthy target, for me a musket ball or button or so on (relics), while I wish for more, I consider it a good day. If i hit none I consider it a bad day. If i hit none 2 detecting days in a row, I'm in a slump.

Well, that's data point #2, that after two events of "Something missing" there is a slump. I wonder if this will hold true with others...hmmmm

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A slump is when your expectations regarding finds have not been achieved. I think there are two aspects. First the healthy slump. You haven't gotten what you expected in few hunts but your ok with that because you know its just a matter of time and you never know what you might find with that next swing. In the second scenario you feel disappointed and unfulfilled because of it. If so it may be time to change your expectations or add some new ones. For some people a great day hunting is one where they haven't fallen into a well or been eaten by a bear. Which is easy for me. No wells or bears where I live.

Last edited:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

VERY Descriptive...For the sake of adding some levity to the brevity... totally get it... not really. :) I'm assuming you mean lack of silver coins... or is it any type of silver? Or is it when you only find silver, but not Gold?

Or maybe, this was a post intended to really have me dig deep into the psyche of detectorists. Like an Ink-blot.

Skippy

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when it comes to banner finds, I am in a slump going on 25 years.

Aside from that, a slump is 2 or more hunts without silver...

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not finding silver coins in general.

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
When I go to a park (which I rarely do ) I expect to find clad and tabs so that's not really a slump. When I get a chance to go to an old, unhunted private property and don't find any silver, relics ect... That's when I feel slumped. Hell going to the same places and expecting to find a lot of silver or jewelry is not a slump to me. It's the norm lol.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been keeping stats this year - .6 silver coins/hunt and 2.2 wheaties/hunt. So 2 hunts without silver coins or 1 hunt without at least 2 wheat pennies = slump.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least you find rings..Last year I found 5 cheap rings and this year? no rings. All I find lately is clad coins and not near as much as the last two years..Last year my clad totaled a little over 600 dollars..this year? 113.00. no this is what I call a slump.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No silver coins for a couple hunts leaves me a little bummed. If you haven't found silver you need to knock on doors in oldest part of town.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least you find rings..Last year I found 5 cheap rings and this year? no rings. All I find lately is clad coins and not near as much as the last two years..Last year my clad totaled a little over 600 dollars..this year? 113.00. no this is what I call a slump.

Yeah, OK, that's a slump. :(

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You are correct, in that everyone has a different situation.

I am into finding silver coins. I got 63 so far this year, average 7 per month. If I go for two weeks without one, I am in a slump.

I hunt with several other guys, the slump switches from one of us to another regularly. I hate it when my turn arrives!

We all do our best to enjoy the hunt, and the fellowship, as these are the real treasures of the hobby... however, we are all a bit greedy for the shiny!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we are all a bit greedy for the shiny!

Yep. I just started my next slump. Haven't found a ring since.. yesterday. But I went out twice today and only got about $4 in clad. I'm totally bummed...

Whiterook

Apr 13, 2015
Northeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe put all your best finds in a display case. Look at them and think in terms of all your total finds and not what you did on a specific day.
A slump to me is just not getting a chance to get out with the detector.
Enjoy the "hunt".

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe put all your best finds in a display case. Look at them and think in terms of all your total finds and not what you did on a specific day.
A slump to me is just not getting a chance to get out with the detector.
Enjoy the "hunt".

Oh, I've TOTALLY done that. I have a nice jewelry box (a "man" box, so to speak that hold cufflinks, rings and watches)... I have two rows of my rings... Gold on one, silver on another, with all my Men's rings finds sitting on a ledge above. I check it out every day! (It's also my selection point for wedding rings... I've found enough now, that I wear a different one every day of the week).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread