New to Metal Detecting ... need some advice

stunmo

Aug 29, 2015
Willard, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 2SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting and love the hobby, but I have a older Whites Classic 2 SL detector which is not giving me much luck. I bought it used and not sure if it is discriminating properly. I have alot of nails in my yard and it is hard to find anything worth keeping. I am shopping for a new detector but my funds will only let me go up to only $375 dollars to spend. I am trying to decide on a Minelab Xterra 305, Fisher F44 or a Garrett Ace 350, which one is the best machine? Please help me.... Thanks!

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not familiar with the Whites. I sure do like the AT Pro if you can step up that high in price. Paid for mine many times over.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not rule out the line of Tesoro it really discriminates on iron.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Cibola!

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the F44 or the Treasure Pro from Whites. I would not even consider the Ace from Garrett. The first two have a lot more features than the Garrett. But that Whites machine is no slouch.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At that price point I agree with TNMt & Terry - check out the Tesoros.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your looking for an answer as to one of the three you have listed than I would say the f44.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just searched craigslist in the Springfield MO area. There is an Ace 350 for $200 in Nixa, you could then afford a nice pinpointer.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always remember with any detector - If it's not there, you can't find it.

Start with any base model, get to know it - Find gold & silver - Buy a Minelab = Life is GOOD!!!!! :icon_thumright:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That whites classic II should be able to effortlessly tune out nails. In fact, being a 2-filter machine, you should have some decent ability to get coins next to, or even under nails (assuming you haven't run your disc. too high).

Me thinks you are using it wrong, mis-intrepretting sounds, or whatever. Your best bet is to hook up with someone proficient in your area. Trade of flagged signals. Listen to what they're listening for. See what they're trying to isolate. See/hear what they'd chase vs what they'd pass, etc.....

RelicReapers

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker - AT Pro - Garret Pin Pointer- Whites Bulls eye 2 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is good advice, people may laugh but I currently use a Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker. It may not go super deep but for coins and things up to 6 inches deep I have no trouble at all finding treasure with it. I know of people who have an AT pro and I seem to do just as well with my $100.00 Bounty Hunter. It's all about getting to know your machine and what the signals represent. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=relic+reapers

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of the 3 you mentioned. it's a no brainer. The F44 has ground balance over the other two (and the Tesoro's in that range), a better TID that is numeric 1-99 and not progressive like the 305, plus the F44 is faster in recovery than the other 2. The 305 and Ace are old hat. Go with the new technology that will take time to outgrow. F44.

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Ace 250 right now and I love it getting AT Pro for Chrismas I would get the Ace 350

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Classic 2 was my first detector and I found my first Indian Head penny with it. I wish I had not sold it actually, it is a fun beep and dig machine.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buying a more expensive metal detector won't bring you the luck that you say your present detector lacks. There is a little luck involved with metal detecting but research and learning your machine is what gets the job done. Save yourself the expense right now and make a test garden to help you learn your machine and hone your skills. Buy a good pinpointer and practice using that Classic II. Happy Hunting!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take ur time buying on...you will get the best price right around christmas and after...do ur homework...rmemeber once u get to mid grade detectors they all work...u just gotta do the research and be lucky enough to swing ur coil over the coins first!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to metal detecting and love the hobby, but I have a older Whites Classic 2 SL detector which is not giving me much luck. I bought it used and not sure if it is discriminating properly. I have alot of nails in my yard and it is hard to find anything worth keeping. I am shopping for a new detector but my funds will only let me go up to only $375 dollars to spend. I am trying to decide on a Minelab Xterra 305, Fisher F44 or a Garrett Ace 350, which one is the best machine? Please help me.... Thanks!

While I own both an AT Pro and and Ace 350, for that price range I would buy, in this order, 1) A used AT Pro (I got mine for $350), or 2) The F44. Both are resistant, the AT Pro is good down to 10ft, the F44 I think is just splash proof.

The 350 is nice with the DD coil, but many times my hunt ended with rain, and it's nice to be able to wash off the machine.

The AT Pro is a great choice because it opens up the world of water detecting which for me has been most enjoyable. Those lakes harbor gold ;)

Last edited:

Clair-VT

Oct 9, 2015
Swanton, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just searched craigslist in the Springfield MO area. There is an Ace 350 for $200 in Nixa, you could then afford a nice pinpointer.

I would second the Garrett ACE 350 -- and if it is in good shape, snap it up. They are one of the best all round MDs. That's what I bought after much reading! Will be here next week.
Bought mine used too and with the Garrett carrot pinpointer. All for $275 -- I am a happy camper now and will be even happier next week!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions