All Treasure Hunting
At the rate I'm going I'd starve to death in 3 weeks! ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
What's your business plan look like? ?By business do you mean professional TH'er or MD'er? ?Coinshooter or cache hunter? ?What's your stamina level? ?When can you start? ?Part time or full time?

The other option is sales. ?We've got a lot of great people who post around here who also sell, they'd be the ones to ask.

Yep, a lot of us have considered how to approach it from a biz perspective w/o going through the actual hardships of biz via sales and dealerships. ?I haven't made it work yet, still working on the plan.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
What's your business plan look like? ?By business do you mean professional TH'er or MD'er? ?Coinshooter or cache hunter? ?What's your stamina level? ?When can you start? ?Part time or full time?

The other option is sales. ?We've got a lot of great people who post around here who also sell, they'd be the ones to ask.

Yep, a lot of us have considered how to approach it from a biz perspective w/o going through the actual hardships of biz via sales and dealerships. ?I haven't made it work yet, still working on the plan.

I think he is refereing to the "Lost and Found" "Machine for hire" type business
You could never make a living on what you find in this country....
you would nearly starve to death...

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
There are alot of options from

Detector for hire type yes
A detector dealer
A treasure accessories supplier like kellyco

No I cant imagine finding enough to survive. Im just thinking if I cant be detecting I at least want to be dealing and selling and talking about treasure.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nick1878 said:
Hi all. Has anyone here tried or been able to turn this great pastime into a profitable business. Have thought alot about it, but everyone I talk to says I wont make any money at it.

The only way I know of making a living at metal detecting "solely" with out being a dealer in detectors, equipment, and a million other things you'd be selling to keep from starving to death (which would leave you NO time to detect :) ) and other than becoming a full time professional treasure hunter searching/diving wrecks, and recovering coins, gold, artifacts, etc. (with 10s of 1000s of dollars invested in equipment to start "minimum") IS - to buy a "Top of the line Gold detector" go out west in the mountains, and detect for nuggets (in areas of old mines) and you can make upwards of $2500.00 per week "on average" - some weeks more, some weeks less (and that's ONLY if you know what you're doing) and you have the knowledge of where these mines are located.? ? ?Other than that? ? "good luck"? ? and let us know how it works out for you!

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Well the hardest part about making a living off what you find is first having to pry your fingers away from that prize find.

I have never sold anything I have found but that is mainly because of the value . Say a coin worth 15 ?or maybe 25 dollars is worth more to me for conversation however a jar full of them...well you can take a pic. and keep 1 or 2 for show.

And what I have found of a great value are the things I consider my most prized finds and it's hard to think of selling them.

However I have really been considering it for the reason of getting a new Detector .

I have done a lot of research on some large catch sites and hope to hunt them this spring and yes I will sell what I hope to find of them.

Keep your day job. but if you dint and start getting rich from your finds then please let us all know your secret.. ;D

Red

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd say you probably wouldn't starve just on stuf found MDing but there are a couple of catches. 1) be single, 2) no rent or mortgage, 3) no utilities, 4) living out of vehicle for shelter, stopping into camping areas for showers,etc. 5) eating the $1 dollar menues or sardines and vienna sausages all the time.

Not as fun now is it. HH

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I know a guy that made a living MDing he lives in Arizona right now. He went to Australia and found gold nuggets and lived on his finding for ten years he still has the big ones 5 and 6 oz nuggets! :o

Onion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread