DO NOT !!! put your detector away with the batteries left in it

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Isn't the real lesson here to avoid long term storage in a damp environment? I leave the battery in my Etrac all winter and have never had a problem.

No, not at all. This isn't the first battery issue left in any equipment. My Tesoro Royal Sabre, left them in that and they corroded. They even corroded in my Fisher 1260X. Got lucky on both of them, still use the Fisher. Not a good idea at all to leave them in. But if you're confident leaving them in = Go For It! Maybe you're luckier than I was. Go ahead, leave them in that Etrac! It's only a $600+ repair or more. You bet your derriere I learned my lesson on that one.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, not at all. This isn't the first battery issue left in any equipment. My Tesoro Royal Sabre, left them in that and they corroded. They even corroded in my Fisher 1260X. Got lucky on both of them, still use the Fisher. Not a good idea at all to leave them in. But if you're confident leaving them in = Go For It! Maybe you're luckier than I was. Go ahead, leave them in that Etrac! It's only a $613 repair or more.

Thanks for the clarification. Let me ask you, did all these batteries corrode in the same basement? I'm curious if your basement is the one constant variable.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If at that time I can't remember the last time I used the device, out come the batteries!

Excellent post and education. Thanks for going there!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the clarification. Let me ask you, did all these batteries corrode in the same basement? I'm curious if your basement is the one constant variable.

Nope, just moved here last November, not the constant = all batteries corrode. And, reference Anduril's post above.

$600+ repair? I'll pay attention from now on!

You don't have to of course, strictly my focus from now on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread