Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really would spend the money on a deeper machine TBH. Spending $120-$180 on a coil for an entry level machine really isn't going to be the best use of your money for extra depth. There are so many mid-level machines right now and many on the used market with plenty of warranty that you would be money ahead to step up to mid level machine.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice. It's a fine entry level detector but your not going to make it something it's not by throwing money at it.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bigger 9x12 coil for the Ace I dont use anymore. I would let it go for 50 bucks shipped. I noticed a big difference with it

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Fletch, Seems like the bug bit you like many of us. You ought to look into getting a mid level or higher end detector. Not that the Ace250 is a bad detector, it's plenty capable. I started with an El Cheapo detector, the bug bit and I upgraded to a mid level detector (Fisher F4), I now hunt with the top of the line Fisher detector. I have 3 coils in my arsenal. The 5" DD sniper, the stock 11" DD, and a 12" x 15" DD. How deep is deeper? My deepest coin was an 1812 5 Francs 10" deep. Mind you it's a big silver coin.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco Digger i'm really interested in your post About the Fisher F4 I might get that this Christmas I'm really a garret guy but will look into the Fisher F4 and check out the depth on it Thank you.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco Digger i'm really interested in your post About the Fisher F4 I might get that this Christmas I'm really a garret guy but will look into the Fisher F4 and check out the depth on it Thank you.

If your a garrett guy you should look at the ATP. Those things are amazong and garrett will always have you back with any issues. Not to mention its water proof. The ACE is a great machine to start with. I ran it for 2 years and did great on silver and even better on gold than i did my Pro. Its a good machine to understand what jumpy signals are. I noticed when i went from garretts to the CTX, they are complety different but act the same with certain jumpy targets.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I think I'm ready to upgrade to a mid-level detector I'v had the Ace250 for about 6+ months now and have learned it and Metal Detecting as a hole very very well. I plan on getting in AT pro in the coming years, and I think getting the Fisher F4 would be a good detector for mid-level detector for me I don't plan to buy it if I decide to go with it until Christmas time, in the mean time I will do lots of research into the detector for the next 2 and a half months until December and decide if the Fisher F4 would be a good machine for me! Thank you guys so much for the help and tips! I'v been wanting a detector with a VDI for a long time and the Fisher F4 has that but I will keep doing more research thank you.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you guys think about the Fisher F44?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mason I to have a ace 250 9 x 12 larger sized type coil and lower shaft that I am no longer using -- using a larger coil can get a bit deeper -- I live in fla and have been a long time member -- 50 bucks in the lower 48 and its yours..

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mason I to have a ace 250 9 x 12 larger sized type coil and lower shaft that I am no longer using -- using a larger coil can get a bit deeper -- I live in fla and have been a long time member -- 50 bucks in the lower 48 and its yours..
Ok i just lowered my price to 45 bucks lol

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No thank you :( Sorry not interested at the moment sorry bud

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well that I s ok --just offering ---currently --I'm using delta 4000 ... $279 bucks ...0 to 99 "numbers" display ... which I think is a vast improvement over the ace 250 --12 blocks--- as it allows for a much finer "sorting" of found goods -- 12 blocks results in "co mingling" -- a nickle , a pull tab and some gold all get "trapped" together in the same block resulting in you having to "dig it all" thus wasting much time in the process digging up junk---with the delta 4000's 99 "numbers" you have 8 times the slots to sort things into than the ace 250's 12 blocks ---thus you have a much greater "sorting ability" --its still not perfect however as some items still will have the same "electrical conductivity numbers" --however it is much better .. for only 67 dollars more -- 212 vs 279

oh and with my $50 coil --you would have gotten the "lower shaft" as well--makes for a much faster change out

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
save up mason...the atp is calling for you.the f44 isnt enough of a step up in performance for your upgrade.I recomend even selling off the 2fiddy and add it to the pot for xmass.check with our supporting vendors in the classified forum,you will be surprised how affordable an atp can be thru those guys(I recently got my wife an atp from kieth at fort bedford detectord...super deal...great to work with)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By no means was I trying to push you towards a Fisher detector. I just wanted to show you (if the bug has bitten hard), how many of us quickly upgraded the 1st year and that you should move up to a mid range or higher end detector instead of investing in accessories for a lesser than mid range detector. The more you spend the more the bells and whistles you get.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Don't get another coil for that piece of junk for goodness sake. Get another brand, any other brand will do! If you're in a hole, don't keep digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread