Why I detect.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have recently decided to revisit a hobby my father started me on when I was in my teens. When I was seventeen my father purchased a metal detector and encouraged me to do so as well. I saved up $150 and bought a machine mostly to make my father happy. I went a few times with him and gave it half an effort. The day my father had his heart attack he asked me to go with him to a home he had permission to search and I told him I had better things to do. I did not know that would be the last day I would ever get to spend any time with my father, I was 18 and he was 48.

A short while later he returned home in severe pain grasping at his chest and struggling to breathe. His face was ashen and I knew that this strong man that I had depended on for the first 18 years of my life was in trouble. I got him the best help I could but it was not enough. His heart stopped three times before they could get him to the hospital, and he laid in the ICU for several days before finally passing away. If I had gone with him maybe I might have been able to get him help sooner, I don't know. One thing I do know is that I passed up the last opportunity to do something with my dad that I should have done. I will NOT ever let that happen to me again with any other family member or friend. The pain is still as sharp today as it was thirty years ago. People move on, lives goes on but the pain for me has remained as sharp today as it was then.

So recently when a friend bought a Whites XLT metal detector and started talking to me about it, it sparked a burning desire in me to revisit this hobby I had started so long ago. My wife thought I was crazy (she still does) I bought a used machine off the internet and talked a new and VERY good friend of mine TOM into letting me come along. Little did he know that each time I go out with my detector someone extra was coming along. I like to think that my dad is somewhere watching me, encouraging me with each and every thing I find.

So any way I wanted to share with you a story that is true, it is just one of many that happen every day to detectorists everywhere. I don't care if people laugh at me for metal detecting, I don't care if I go and don't find anything. For me it is a way to pay respect to a man that helped me become who I am today. Oh and by the way Thanks Tom!

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 ...A very touching story. Btw..welcome to TNet and glad to see you here. My friend...I know your dad was and is proud of you. Looks like he did his "job" real well in a short period of time. Some dads can't do what your dad did in 100 yrs. HH

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I know my dad isn't the greatest. He's pretty much yelled and tried to argue with me for most of my life for the smallest things. Even up to a couple of days ago... and I'm almost 25. :-\ But regardless of how fathers act, and my lack of wanting to spend time with him, it's simple things such as watching the movie Click with Jim Carrey that really makes me regret not being closer to him...

Bran <><

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,that really makes me thankfull for my father who has survived cancer.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very Cool Story. I lost my dad also and he was always on an treasure seeking adventure. So I like to think to that he would be very proud of the things I do and the adventures I take with my girls.
Your dad would be proud that you took up the hobby that he loved. At 18 we dont always make the right choices and I am sure our dads didnt either.What counts is that we learn from the choices we make.Sounds like you learned alot.

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
Beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us.
My reasons were simple...a lot of hobbies require a lot of money or aren't something you can do with your kids.
My kids have been through a lot and there are limits on the things we can do as a family.
Mding was the exception to that rule.
None of us were coin collectors, making some great find was never the motivation.
We had no list of coins to find.
I have been told I have no business here, maybe not..I am surely not looking for the great find and I don't really care how many wheat pennies I dig in a day.
It's about seeing my kids digging holes and their smiles when they find anything.
That's why we did it.

DD

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
diggitdoggie said:
Beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us.
My reasons were simple...a lot of hobbies require a lot of money or aren't something you can do with your kids.
My kids have been through a lot and there are limits on the things we can do as a family.
Mding was the exception to that rule.
None of us were coin collectors, making some great find was never the motivation.
We had no list of coins to find.
I have been told I have no business here, maybe not..I am surely not looking for the great find and I don't really care how many wheat pennies I dig in a day.
It's about seeing my kids digging holes and their smiles when they find anything.
That's why we did it.

DD

I have to say I understand completely. My 8 y/o daughter loves to go and swing the machine and she wants to dig everything. I love spending the time with here because sometimes it is hard to find things she likes to do that dad can do to. My older son likes it only when we are finding things, otherwise he is thinking about cars and girls. Until we started detecting together my daughter didn't even know what wheat penny was. The other benefit that this has brought to us is the history lessons we learn together. I don't care if I go out and find anything or not as long as I am spending time with my kids. Thanks for your reply and thanks for being here. I don't know who told you you have no business being here but if you have a machine (any kind) and detect then this place is as much yours as anyone elses! A lof of parents don't spend time with their kids and they don't want to anymore and that is sad. Good for you and your family!!!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Again here's the type of story we need more of! Very sorry your father passed on at such a young age. Maybe detecting is something that can help you remember him. Financially detecting is the last thing I need to do! I worked 3 jobs until I was 40, and now still work 2 jobs, one pays very well and it allowed my wife to retire at 39 a few years ago. I detect early in the morning when everyone is a sleep, or when kids are at school. I spend all of my time with the kids when they are awake and home. That is one reason I have stayed on midnights with my city job. Hopefully some of us are taking the time while we detect to think of other matters too!

Funny you mentioned people laughing at you. I know sometimes when I am detecting people say things...it certainly does not bother me, it is like having a disagreement in one of these forums....Remember you really don't know these people and it means nothing! Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
A very touching story, thank you for sharing it with all of us.

I would like to express my condolences for the loss of you father at such a young age.

We all think of the "what ifs". Hind sight is always 20/20. Do not beat your self up over a what if. The passing of a parent is enough grief to bear without adding to the burden. I am sure you Dad is hunting with you when you go out and I bet he is proud of you.

My dad passed away a few years ago and I love him and miss him every day. I had my share of what ifs also.

Again, thanks for sharing your story.

Ray S

alduro

Greenie
Apr 13, 2007
Thank you for that story. There seems to be something in my eye.

I was 15 when my Dad passed. As you said, it was 35 years ago, but when I think of it I miss him as if it were yesterday.

The day he died we were plowing a field. He was already on the tractor when I got there (he always started at daybreak and I was a little slower). He asked me to climb up on the tractor after him and ride behind him. Incredibly unsafe and against the rules of safety he himself had taught me, but I did and rode and talked with him all that day.

We finished plowing and took a break to go to the house. His great-aunt was there and asked him how he felt. He said, “I feel better right now than I have ever felt in my life.”

Within an hour he fell dead of a heart attack.

He taught me the greatest treasures are those that you carry inside: honesty, integrity, charity, the nobility of hard work and the courage to do what is right when nobody else seems to be doing it or care.

I still talk to him sometimes. I don't know if he can hear me, so just in case he can't I send messages to him through God when I pray. But, I know he is still with me when I live up to those ideals that, thanks to him, are a part of who I am or the man I hope to be.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky I suppose. Dad lingered several days and was alert and wasn't in any pain. His heart just gave out after many years with heart problems. I was well into my 40's and had a long time with him. The last few days we talked of many things , things that needed to be said before he left this earth. So, when he went we both were at peace. I think of him nearly every day and especially on Fathers' Day. M :'( nty

andre

Jun 17, 2007
I lost most of my family when I was about 25yrs old. I appreciate your story, respectfully Frenchfry.

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
I Miss my Dad everyday of my life.He went with me sometimes and I have a vivid memory of him out in the woods in N.H. with our Dog looking for and finding an old CCC camp,When he died of a heart attack I had said all the things I needed to say to him ,He was in the hospital and I just knew he was not coming home ever again, That was only a couple of years ago and it feels like yesterday, My dad was a man of few words and when I told him I loved him he said he knew that and I was a great son. I"ll never forget that as long as I live. Thanks for letting me share that,I feel Thrs. are all a part of my family to.Isen"t that weird. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions