Which goes deeper? Etrac vs T2/F75?

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks! I'm planning on buying one of these MD's in the not distant future. I did not wanted to post this thread in any of the manufacturer's forum just to keep this post as neutral as possible. I want to get one of these but which of these can go the deepest on coins? I have seen on different posts that the F75/T2 SE could detect a quarter at 15"? That's deep..... But please, any comments?
Etrac
F75
T2 SE

Upvote 0

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks! I'm planning on buying one of these MD's in the not distant future. I did not wanted to post this thread in any of the manufacturer's forum just to keep this post as neutral as possible. I want to get one of these but which of these can go the deepest on coins? I have seen on different posts that the F75/T2 SE could detect a quarter at 15"? That's deep..... But please, any comments?
Etrac
F75
T2 SE

I own the F75 it is a nice machine. deep ,light ,well balanced and plan on a learning curve . But this statement applies to a number of detectors. Not to sound trite but your orginal question ; what goes deeper? ; is one of the questions like what is the best detector for me? I mean what is deeper the Etrac or T2/F75 well it depends on so many factors you could list a bunch, from soil conditions to user expertise. And yeah ive seen those videos on the sixteen inch coin etc,etc ..bottom line you can do alot of things in a test garden situation.Try that in mineralized dry soil with 2 inches of grass or at a cellar hole with tons of nails and 3 inches of pine needles. 15 inches aint gonna happen not even on a silver dollar. Bottom line depth is nice to talk about but over rated . Buy it . learn it and you'll find stuff.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I own the F75 it is a nice machine. deep ,light ,well balanced and plan on a learning curve . But this statement applies to a number of detectors. Not to sound trite but your orginal question ; what goes deeper? ; is one of the questions like what is the best detector for me? I mean what is deeper the Etrac or T2/F75 well it depends on so many factors you could list a bunch, from soil conditions to user expertise. And yeah ive seen those videos on the sixteen inch coin etc,etc ..bottom line you can do alot of things in a test garden situation.Try that in mineralized dry soil with 2 inches of grass or at a cellar hole with tons of nails and 3 inches of pine needles. 15 inches aint gonna happen not even on a silver dollar. Bottom line depth is nice to talk about but over rated . Buy it . learn it and you'll find stuff.

+1 for Gaspipe!! There are so many variables that go into detection depth that when I do testing for Kellyco, I minimize that aspect. I prefer sensitivity, TID, separation and recovery speed to the "foggy" question of depth. But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole. Your view of the battlefield may vary!

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this small piece of metal at 10in with my T2

Attachments

• 1443832887628.jpg
    1443832887628.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 1443832929767.jpg
    1443832929767.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 1443832960997.jpg
    1443832960997.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 127

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it all depends on soil conditions .. The Etrac could be deep in one type of soil and the T2 not as deep ..But go to some different type of soil condition the T2 could be the deeper than the Etrac...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both... an F75SE and a new eTrac...
You need to buy them both... I am not kidding...
I call my F75 the "Mighty Fisher" it is so powerful...
I use it on a trashy site first then come back in with my etrac...
The eTrac is like driving a Cadillac...
You will have the best ID and dig the less trash because of its accuracy...
I don't have to dig foil or zinc cents with the eTrac...
I would not, not have both of them...
I have been digging since the late 70's...
Gary from Oregon...

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both... an F75SE and a new eTrac...
You need to buy them both... I am not kidding...
I call my F75 the "Mighty Fisher" it is so powerful...
I use it on a trashy site first then come back in with my etrac...
The eTrac is like driving a Cadillac...
You will have the best ID and dig the less trash because of its accuracy...
I don't have to dig foil or zinc cents with the eTrac...
I would not, not have both of them...
I have been digging since the late 70's...
Gary from Oregon...

I feel the same about my t2 and explorer. My point is a good fbs and a t2 or F75 is a combo that will handle most situations.

Rik601

Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And my Whites TDI gets a Nickel at 18 inches at the beach in wet salt mineralized sand your Etrack will not do that on it's best day !!!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me throw in some clarity here.

The deepest detector is dependent on the skill of the user, period.

It's kinda like when I purchased my E-Trac. I'm a sound guy, not a VDI guy. So when I was looking to pick up a new detector I wanted a quality sound machine. I settled on the E-Trac, and was totally blown away by sounds, and scrambled using all kinds of modes & patterns, got frustrated because I overwhelmed myself. I quit using the E-Trac for a while and went back to my trusty Fisher 1260X. Then I settled back down, stripped my E-Trac patterns & modes back to factory and went back to the basics. I stopped looking at the screen until I was ready to dig based on sound alone. After just a little bit then, I got very productive with quick recovery, only dig trash occasionally for verification, and on my last hunt, dug 32 coins in just a couple hours, with quite a number at about 10". It would have absolutely hit deeper had there been deeper coins there. The Pro-Pointer was darned handy in the sand and turbo boosted productivity. Grab a target and on to the next.

On a simple, quick hunt, I pull out the 1260X. But when I'm going for a serious hunt, I now pull out the CTX (since I'd fried the E-Trac at the time) and settle into "listening". Took a while to get used to the sounds (E-Trac & CTX are the same at the very basics).

Even as an experienced sound guy, the Minelab learning curve was more than any machine I'd ever used - pretty frustrating as I'd expected better out of myself.

I'll sum this up in saying that depth is almost exclusively dependent on the skill of the user, regardless of the machine used. Any quality machine from any manufacturer today can hit pretty deeply. Learn to love any machine you have, or you'll spend more money on equipment than the value of the finds you dig! But then, if us addicts are an example - the prospect of wealth is only a light entertainment dream when it comes to our investment in equipment.

Everybody gets lucky sometimes otherwise. But productivity makes you smile :)

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx all for all the comments! Definitely learned a couple of things here. Talking about minelab and fbs, with this you could better in red mineralized dirt right? I'm helping a friend out that he's in charge of restoring this 1734 church from colonial times but I noticed there is red dirt in this area! He talked to me of finding this time capsule that in 1910 was buried. It had documents, money (coins), little artifacts from school ect. They used an old tin can to bury the stuff in. I used my garrett atp and we did find the tin can! It was approx at 24" inches. But obviously the can was really mangled and torn. There was nothing inside. :( just pieces of old pottery, and a lot of pieces of brick and nails. This is in a location with red dirt. I notice obviously that my atp was ocassionally falsing. So does fbs work better at highly mineralized dirt?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
So does fbs work better at highly mineralized dirt?

It is my opinion, absolutely yes! Me, I want to hear everything the ground tells me, and YES FBS reaches right in, tells you everything.

And that's when the skill factor sets in. A person using detectors for 30+ years will still be humbled and stumped by the sounds heard in the ground - until the language is understood. I believe that is where Minelab excels. FBS tells you everything, including things you do not wish to hear, and in there hides the good signal - you just have to listen for it.

I can't emphasize the sounds enough. ONLY if you master the sounds will you ever consider Minelab as a very very good beast.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this small piece of metal at 10in with my T2
That's my foot in the picture. Here is the funny ha-ha. I believe I was using my AT Pro that day. I was able to pick up the same targets. You may want to address what you are hunting for and where. But out of the fine bunch you mentioned. I would pick the one I have the most experience with. I can not list all the reasons why I would choose the F75. The F75 is the best machine for me.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And my Whites TDI gets a Nickel at 18 inches at the beach in wet salt mineralized sand your Etrack will not do that on it's best day !!!!

I hope I never have to dig any hole 18" lol .... 18" lol...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread