Which goes deeper? Etrac vs T2/F75?

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks! I'm planning on buying one of these MD's in the not distant future. I did not wanted to post this thread in any of the manufacturer's forum just to keep this post as neutral as possible. I want to get one of these but which of these can go the deepest on coins? I have seen on different posts that the F75/T2 SE could detect a quarter at 15"? That's deep..... But please, any comments?
Etrac
F75
T2 SE

Upvote 0

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the F75. I have not found any coins at 15". As a matter of fact, I can't remember digging one deeper than 8" anytime recently. To be fair, the ground in Mississippi during the summer is akin to concrete!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Carribbean-digger, you don't say what type sites you're going to be using it in. Eg.: beach? turf? relicky sites? etc... And the type soils, and the type targets you want (although you say quarter, so I'm assuming coin/jewelry sized items, and not cache or large item hunting, right ?)

Another big factor is "how much TID accuracy do you want with that depth?". Because there's a LOT of machines that probably could detect a quarter 15" deep (as you say in your example). Yet would be LOUSY at trying to differentiate to pass deep iron, or in any way cherry-pick. And might "hit a brick wall" at 6" in moderate to bad minerals.

The 1266 for instance was famous for ability to effortlessly get a quarter to 15" in an air test. And perhaps could do it in dry white sand too. But once you added minerals, wet, etc.... then pretty soon, everything after 6" sounds exactly the same.

So your requirement for whether or not TID accuracy-at-depth, is another factor you need to decide on. Personally I think the Etrac will have more accurate TID (tell-tale tones once you learn them) over the T2 or F75 at deeper depths. But I realize that's not answering your question on "which one goes deeper". But on the other hand, what good is the extra inch or two of depth, if everything starts sounding the same ?

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok generally there are a couple of sites that I know the good and old targets are deeper due to soil movement and or they poured in more top soil so they have to be deeper. I have an AT Pro for the beach and water hunting. So basically I want a land detector. Normally my ATP balances at 80-92 so I guess the soil is pretty neutral, and yes, the machine will be used as a relic/ coin/ cache detector.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
TCD, as I stated, I have the F75se, and it has been wonderful for coinshooting and relic hunting. I think it gets plenty deep. I also have a Tesoro Tejon that seems to get really deep. IMO, the Tejon tends to see coins masked by iron better than my F75 does, but I always start with the F75 to get the "for sure" hits.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak about the other 2 detectors you listed from personal experience. I've heard a lot of good things about the E-Trac and its on my list of machines to get. I would recommend the F75 based on my experiences with it and would recommend the Tejon as well if you are interested in machines that aren't on your list.

I hope any of this helps. Good luck with your decision! HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you would face a lower learning curve if you went with the F75 since you have experience with both the F2 and the AT Pro. The Etrac is a whole new language. I also believe the T2 may have a variation in VDI due to their large Iron VDI scale of 1-39. Depth can be gained through the use of a larger coil on any detector. The question one should ask is how many deep holes do you want to dig and for what reward. I am running a 12" x 15" coil and the deepest coin I found was a large silver at 10" (after a soaking rain). I have detected many deeper targets that turn out to be big hunks of aluminum, lead, or iron and were 14 to 15 inches deep. I was in your shoes last fall (was using the F4) and wanted to go for the deep coins. I found a great deal on a F75 LTD SE. I had grandiose thoughts of accurately identifying and digging deep coins. These never materialized but with the F75 I can use the boost process to assist in getting a good ID on deeper coins and it is way better on IDing nickles when using 3H or 4H tones.

just though I'd give my 2 cents.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest, I find the T2 to be quite a bargain. The LTD SE that is. Iv'e seen a couple of videos and it quite impressed me how the boost mode gave more a couple of inches!!! I'm very impressed also with FBS technology on the minelab machines! The F75 well it's a Fisher and I know there good working machines by personal expirience! It's more expensive than the T2 but it simply performs! I'm still having a hard time trying to decide, though I'm definitely heading to Etrac or T2.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
loco-digger is right: The etrac will have a much longer learning curve (wacky sounds). Whereas the T2 and F75 are easier "turn and go machines" AGAIN this doesn't answer your question of "which is deeper", but AGAIN that factor can indeed play a difference as to WHETHER YOU CAN EVER AVAIL YOURSELF of the supposed deeper depths.

And your post #4 still does not answer the question of how much emphasis you put on TID ?

Humorously, most people will immediately answer that they "don't mind digging some junk" in order to avail themselves of super human depths. But when you put those persons side by side hunting with someone who perhaps has slightly less depth, yet can accurately "call" all his signals, then guess who has the higher goodie count at the end of the day?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Example of TID factor:

This comes up frequently on the debate of pulse vs standard on beach hunting. In the ever-present quest for depth, md'rs will frequently choose the pulse machine, because some of them admittedly "provide more depth" on wet salt beach. And when you remind them "you'll have no disc", they'll gleefully chime in "I don't mind digging some junk". But then imagine their angst when they show up with their pulse on a nail-riddled beach after a storm, and are digging a nail for every conductive target, while the standard machine guy is passing all the nails ? Oh sure, the pulse guy gets a tinsel thin chain, or goes an extra inch deep. BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY the standard machine spanked him on target counts of keepers. So you tell me, which was the preferable machine ?

Yes I realize that a pulse vs standard on the beach was not your question, but just showing you that to re-enforce that there are times when some notions of targets (TID) is indeed a benefit that outweighs depth. Even when you think you're going to "strip-mine" yet you are still subconsciously making pass vs chase decisions all day long. Especially if in zones where targets are numerous and prolific, you will tend to favor the "better sounding ones". If everything sounds the same beyond 6 or 7", then ..... well then what ? You're at a disadvantage, and the extra inch isn't much help.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F75 LTD and it is a fantastic detector! I've dug a tiny Union Navy cuff button at a measured 14" and although the signal was quiet, the TID was well within the range at which I've identified and dug other buttons. I've owned 3 different detectors in my short detecting career and this is by far the best.

Another thing to consider is weight and balance. The F75 is light as a feather with the small coil and the large coil isn't really a burden when you compare it to other makers large coil weight.

One other thing to consider is service. First Texas gives great customer service. I had my doubts with all the grumbling from folks having their detector upgraded (backlog of units) but after a recent experience with them on a coil issue, I can honestly say they are as good as Whites, which puts them in the running for all time best.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info and thanks for all your opinions! I wouldn't mind learning to use a minelab machine. Trust Iv'e seen a lot of Minelab videos, and F75's and T2's also! Comparing single freq machines vs multiple it's obvious that the multi freq machine will give you a wider detecting range because of all the diff. frequencies all operating at the same time. Thats what really intrigues me!

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info and thanks for all your opinions! I wouldn't mind learning to use a minelab machine. Trust Iv'e seen a lot of Minelab videos, and F75's and T2's also! Comparing single freq machines vs multiple it's obvious that the multi freq machine will give you a wider detecting range because of all the diff. frequencies all operating at the same time. Thats what really intrigues me!

It does sound intriguing. On paper anyway. In practice, the single freq machines seem to go deeper and are far more power efficient doing so.

I really liked all the bells and whistles on my color VX3 screen, but truth be told, I found far more using one of the single frequencies with that unit and I've found noticeably more and deeper with the single frequency F75 LTD. Watch some videos online for the 3 frequency VX3 and you'll notice many of the "expert tips" are to operate in single freq.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Etrac goes deeper and is more stable than my AT Pro and V3i. The auto ground balance of the Etrac trumps any detector I have ever used. It works amazing would be putting it mildly, just not having to constantly GB my machine while changing soil types is great. The Etrac is simple to learn if you have ever tackled anything like the V3i.
On the other hand, the V3i processes info much faster than the Etrac and I love the 3 frequency Spectrograph display.
Each detector has its pluses and minuses but the Etrac is a great machine.

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Etrac goes deeper and is more stable than my AT Pro and V3i. The auto ground balance of the Etrac trumps any detector I have ever used. It works amazing would be putting it mildly, just not having to constantly GB my machine while changing soil types is great. The Etrac is simple to learn if you have ever tackled anything like the V3i.
On the other hand, the V3i processes info much faster than the Etrac and I love the 3 frequency Spectrograph display.
Each detector has its pluses and minuses but the Etrac is a great machine.
x1 - the E-Trac ! check out Dirtfishing videos , as he (Bill) does several compairisons between these detectors.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't have Etrac experience, therefore can't compare depth. All I CAN tell you is that I have used Whites, Tesoro, and Garrett machines before I got a hold of an F75LTD. F75 is my bread and butter and I'm never going back. Haha.. That's not to say I wouldn't field test an Etrac

True statement regarding DEEP coins. After 8" on a dime and 10" on a quarter, they all start to sound the same and you have to dig it all. If you don't dig it all, have to tune your ear into all metal and learn how to use that trigger to help differentiate between iron and non-ferrous round things... That tone I'm talking about is the threshholdy "woooOOOoow-WooOOoow" sound, not the "6 inch "beep-beep" sound. I sound like a crazy person. Haha

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
theyre both great machine....but when its really comes down to it anything that hits 8-10' is a great machine and most coins are in the 3-7' ranger regardless...also none other that really matters unless the research is done the location is good...and then if you get lucky enough to put ur coil over it first!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a t2 and a fbs explorer. The explorer is almost an etrac. I can dig deeper coins easier with the explorer. The fbs id's more accurately at depth. The t2 is deep but better at a dig everything above iron situation.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I own a t2 and a fbs explorer. The explorer is almost an etrac. I can dig deeper coins easier with the explorer. The fbs id's more accurately at depth. The t2 is deep but better at a dig everything above iron situation.

well stated dirtscratcher ! I was trying to say the same thing, but you said it better. The "which goes deeper?" question is often tainted with other "gotchas".

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75=Coins T2=gold rings Etrac=not in my budget

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75=Coins T2=gold rings Etrac=not in my budget

Yes, I think the same here. The Etrac is quite expensive, but I have a detector that I can sell thus contributes to the cause of making money for the new detector! I'm still leaning towards the FBS option. Whatever I do I'll post it on this thread!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread