LOWER BACK PAIN RELIEF FROM DIGGING- SUGGESTIONS?

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One Ibuprophen and one Naproxin (generic Aleve), and a good blast of water. I start out gung ho and if a site is weak I tend to peater out in a few hours. Then I cherry pick. It usually only takes one old coin, marble or bottle for me to be quite satisfied. Of course if I hit a few nice ones early and or the site is hot, my degenerative arthritis tends to be forgotten for a longer period. :icon_thumleft:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, in my mid-50's, it's "early(?)" onset arthritis. Mostly in left thumb joint area.
It's not bad, but I'm a wuss for pain.. :) It's more annoying than anything else.

Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) works wonders for me, although as with all mediciations, I try to use them only when I feel it's necessary.
The brand name is pricey, but Costo & Walmart carry the generics, which are just as good in my opinion. I can't tell any difference.

I've been pretty lucky overall with backpain, but on somewhat rare occassion, I have used Doan's Pills - another NSAID (magnesium salicylate tetrahydrate).
These don't seem to be as popular now as they once were, so you might have to try places like CVS / Walgreens?
I also don't recall seeing this as generic - maybe it already is? It's a little more pricey compared to Aleve generics.
That said: I recall these worked amazingly well - but it's a small sample size for me as I'm not especially prone to backaches (at least not yet!!). :)

As always, check with your doctor first, etc. etc..
Booze doesn't really work for me. Stretching helps, but not that much frankly (for me).
It feels good to stretch while you're doing it, but the effect doesn't last.

I think the key to joint/muscle pain is to control the inflamation. NSAID's do that pretty effectively.

I wish I could find the cause of the inflammation. My wife seems to think the triglycerides in beer causes it!

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could find the cause of the inflammation. My wife seems to think the triglycerides in beer causes it!

No! No! - That's "inflation" (as in belly fat), not "inflammation" !!
Totally different.

No problem, though - the answer is the same:

#1 - Don't argue with the Mrs.
You can't "win" anyway. (You also can't break-even. You can't even quit the game!) :laughing7:

#2 - Cut down on the beer.
I've found the BEST WAY to do this is to seriously upscale the quality of the beer you drink.
Trade-in all those Bud Lights for one or two really good [insert new favorite here].

Let me save you some time...
Pranqster | North Coast Brewing Co. | BeerAdvocate Wow! :occasion14:

Getting old sucks.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting old sucks.

Nahhh,just quit acting your age,the worse off you think you are the worse off youll be.To act your age,the only person you end up screwing is yourself.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
COQ10 brings down triglycerides. I get it from Swanson Vitamins, but pipingrock.com also sells it cheaply. Very effective for this beer drinker. Of course legalized cannabis is safer than alcohol. It is anti-inflammatory and has 250+ medical uses.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a product, from the health food store, called Sciatic Rescue. It's a lotion, and does alleviate pain.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sixty years ago when I was fifteen a FE loader flipped a portion (400-500#) of sidewalk up and it teeter tottered for a short time and was beginning to fall on a coworker. I grabbed it and kept it off him for a very short time to allow him to get out of the way. During that short period I did some serious damage to my back. Went to a Chiropractor off and on for years. AT age 74 I bought an Inversion machine and haven't visited the Chiro. since. 20 min. a day and most of the pain goes away. If I'm away from home one 7.5mg NORCO is my solution.
It's H3ll getting old but it sure but it sure beats the other option.:icon_thumright: I'm still a Digger, but a slow digger.
BTW You should start out slow on the Inversion machine------maybe 4-5 minutes twice a day and build up you time gradually.
Here is what one looks like.
Marvin
10329020.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread