Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any schoolyards or parks that you could swing at? Do you go to church? If so, ask your pastor about swinging at the church.

And research research research. There's plenty of available resources online to look at historical maps for civil war camps, troop movements etc. try to find some historic aerial views of your town as well.

Try to figure out the oldest part of your town. Look for curbs that have 90° angles and are not rounded off. These can be prime areas for finding old coins.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start at the library. Find the history of your area. You are in a great area. Find old farms, where old schoolhouses were located, millsites troop movements and training areas from colonial to ww 2. So many possible searches. Old picnic areas from 1800s on that are no longer there. Just make sure these are not protected sites. I recommend loking for centennial farms. Offer to share whatever you find in the fields and orchards.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iv detected 2 old 1900 schools but of corse everyone and there mothers have know about them and have detected them clean. Im going to attempt to door knock this weekend. I hope

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck and offer to share anything of value or the return of a lost family item.
I have found 2 gold rings, a sterling silver and turquoise ring, 2 silver dimes, a buffalo head nickel, 4 wheat pennies and a hundred year old Four Roses whiskey cup in my backyard alone.
Yards are awesome to detect because so much went on in them. Every year and every day there were celebrations of all kinds and all manner of daily life. The yards can be fat with finds and are there for your hunt!
Be humble and polite and you'll have a great time.
Being told "no" is ok because it teaches you what to say or not to say next time!
Best of Luck out there!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions