Ignorance with people

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was metal detecting I had about an hour to metal detect before I had to go to work and I was metal detecting made it about 20 minutes and this van shows up a mobile dog grooming van. She pulls up in the grass where vehicles are not supposed to be. and then she yells to me that I need to move out of her way so she could do a photoshoot and it would probably take about an hour. I told her are you kidding me and she says can't you just go somewhere else . and I looked at her and said you know I was here first . then she asked me do you even have permission to metal detect here. and then I said as a matter of fact yes I do. and then she says can't you just go somewhere else for an hour . so I got mad and left. What would you do in this situation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were in your shoes, I'd have been pssd. However, it seems like a no win to me so I think you probably did the most practical thing, especially since the location will still be there for another time.
luvsdux

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are just plain disrespectful of others
This world is full of them. Wouldn't have mattered what you were doing, she probably would have been the same way. I would have probably left but she would have gotten an ear full first. If she would have asked and been nice about it I would have been glad to yield. Most people are decent, but some are miserable and like to spread it around

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I woulda walked right up to her and pepper sprayed her.....kidding...bear spray..:laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
K-A-R-M-A!!! When you give nutty people right-of-way (even when they don't deserve it), positive Karma flows with you. Gold is in your future. :skullflag:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have told her to photoshop me out of your pictures..
You don't really give us all the details of where you were.. public/private property etc.. First thing comes to mind is.. I was here and plan to stay here for an hour.. you want the spot, $40 and I will be on my way..

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public park with permission from town...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Luvdux has the right of it.
There's ways to deal with it that are not confrontational.

If you feel it necessary, you could always go onto YELP and post a review of her attitude about her business. And then copy and paste the review about her poor attitude and demeanor on every website that comes up with her business name.

That's about the only thing I can think of that'll change her attitude. People seem to forget that while they ALWAYS have the freedom of choice... they don't have the freedom to choose the consequences of their choices.

-Skippy

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was casual detecting and no fear of something in particular being recovered in my absence?
I would have laughed and told her she buys me lunch, beer or a coffee if she really needs the site. Squatters rights after all.:laughing7:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have said "Sure, I'll leave. I hate being around idiots"

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If she pulled the snotty card I'd have asked her if she had a permit to film on public property that allowed her to restrict "free and public access".

If not - don't film my face but you're welcome to have my ass in the background while I'm detecting.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Call into work sick.

Detect all day.

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call into work sick.

Detect all day.
Wish I could.. if metal detecting payed the bills and then some I'd do it.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tough one sproatz - I had nearly the same thing happen, I had permission and a neighbor starting giving me grief. I got really angry and was close to doing something violent. Better heads prevailed and I left to cool down, came back another day and had some great finds. Though, sometimes I wished I had given him a right cross to the jaw!!!!

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Option-1:
I would have told her dogs were not allowed in the public park.

Option-2:
If it was just her doing the photoshoot, I would have said "Oh go ahead, you won't bother me."

Option-3:
If she spoke first, I would have pretended not to speak any english.

Option-4:
I would have asked, "Can't you just come back in 40 minutes?"

Option-5:
I would have bludgeoned her to death with the searchcoil. (Only kidding!)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was metal detecting I had about an hour to metal detect before I had to go to work and I was metal detecting made it about 20 minutes and this van shows up a mobile dog grooming van. She pulls up in the grass where vehicles are not supposed to be. and then she yells to me that I need to move out of her way so she could do a photoshoot and it would probably take about an hour. I told her are you kidding me and she says can't you just go somewhere else . and I looked at her and said you know I was here first . then she asked me do you even have permission to metal detect here. and then I said as a matter of fact yes I do. and then she says can't you just go somewhere else for an hour . so I got mad and left. What would you do in this situation

In our local parks, if you park on the grass, you'll get a ticket. For the sake of argument, we'll presume that's not so in your park or that she had some sort of permission. If she asked nicely, I'd say "Sure" and come back another day to hunt that area. If she had an attitude right off the bat, as you kind of indicated, I'd first point out her rudeness, then call the police anonymously and say "a van with license # XXXXXXXX is doing donuts on the grass in the park". 2 can play that lying and complaining game. Goodness knows we've been on the receiving end of it enough times.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have told her ..
"I can tell by just looking at you whatever pictures you are about to take are gonna suck anyway so you might as well just split... besides I was here first."
Then put my headphones back on and slowly work my way out of HER "picture area"...
slowly leave... and if got a hit I would definitely dig it.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply hit the ignore button. If that didn't work, I would turn up the threshold a little more, up the volume and begin singing "Amazing Grace" out loud. If that didn't work, I would probably begin praying out loud and asking God to forgive this lady for her rudeness and ask Him to open all of our eyes to the needs around us......If that didn't work then :violent1:
jk

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it were me I literally would have continued doing what I was doing, then paused when she was finished talking, looked at her and said "cool story", and then continued about my business. and if she called the law then she would look like an even bigger idiot. but in the spur of the moment you did the right thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread