The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so I ran into an issue the other day after I had been detecting in the rain. my shovel was really muddy. so like usual I just threw it in the back of my wagon and went on my way. well having a dirty car bothers me so I decided to look for some of those shovel mounts you see all those off road guys have. well it turns out that those are like 80 to 100 bucks. screw that. ill make my own :thumbsup: I found a cool DIY on a 4Runner forum and plan on making my own for around 15 bucks. my mounts should be here tomorrow or Thursday. anyone else have their shovel mounted to their car? got pics? ill post pics of mine when im finished

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol. Your going to mount your shovel to the outside of your car?

OP
OP
The Dirt Fisherman

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah. to my roof rack. its not like im going mount it to my quarter panel lol. itll only be there on my way to and from the dig site. plus that'll free up some room in the cabin when my brother, dad, and best friend tag along. I carry a normal shovel cause they're cheap and do the job. if this works out ill probably put a couple more mounts on it so we all don't have to put them in the car.

29914b_1.jpg

Last edited:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice i miss my wrangler...although where i live we drive quads on the roads...and i got a shovel mount for the quad!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a cool idea but I hope it is not your only digger. Walking into a park with a shovel is a big NO NO.

OP
OP
The Dirt Fisherman

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a cool idea but I hope it is not your only digger. Walking into a park with a shovel is a big NO NO.

parks here are illegal to hunt. at least in my county they are. I don't like to hunt parks anyway. I don't like the attention and kids drive me insane. I don't have the patience for them. also, I use my garrett digger 90% of the time. ill only hunt a park in the rain cause ill usually be the only one there but its not often cause I have to travel out of the county.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotcha DF, I was picturing a shovel mounted to a car, like a Honda Civic :) Looks more utility like on yours.

OP
OP
The Dirt Fisherman

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol that's not mine. that was just a picture for reference. I have a 94 Toyota corolla wagon =)

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a big plastic storage bin in the trunk of my car for the muddy days. It's big enough to fit my Lesche shovel, along with my collapsed detector, and my muddy backpack/finds bag.

Cheap and easy.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I drive a pickup. Anything nasty goes in the back!

OP
OP
The Dirt Fisherman

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill definitely post pictures of mine when im done with it and post a link to the write up if you all were interested. itll probably be sometime next week since im going out of town for my 1 year wedding anniversary

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mounted? No. I have a RAV4 and there is a locker under the back deck and I keep a shovel back there. For vehicle digging out more than relics. ;-)

OP
OP
The Dirt Fisherman

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if these pics post sideways. Here's a quick mount before I fully commit. I'll tinker with it more when I get back from our weekend getaway. Seems to be very solid in terms of the shovel moving back and forth. Doesn't move at all. I don't have the bottom mounts on to keep it from moving down toward my roof cause like I said it was just a quick mount. I'm very pleased with it. Let me know what you think.

20151009_144208.jpg

20151009_144411.jpg

20151009_144658.jpg

S

stefen

Heck, I was picturing an F-350 outfitted with a backhoe in the bed with outriggers set behind the back wheels...one serious shovel...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never was a roof rack fan. Less mileage, more wind noise, and a pain to wash the vehicle. Why not just get a duffel bag and put it in that?

OP
OP
The Dirt Fisherman

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually none of that is true in my case. I have more tire noise than wind noise and sound deadening wasn't a big thing back then so noise is normal for a car that old and I'm getting 34mpg in it :) I like the roof rack cause believe it or not it's pretty handy. Especially when I need to bring 3 sets of tires to the track. I can put 2.5 sets in the car and the other 2 on top. And I like that it makes the car look a little more versatile rather then it looking like something my grandma just pulled out of the garage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread