Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444958700.419971.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444958712.369207.jpg

Best way to remove the corrosion on this coin, 13 year old brother found it today.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can try some hot peroxide and a tooth pick. It will turn it dark though and remove any green patina. Or maybe an olive oil soak and a picking.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing is going to remove just the corrosion and leave the coin in original shape. Looks like somebody may have scraped on the date already. It might not be readable at this point. Any serious cleaning will probably remove most of the original patina. Being a braided cent, unless your coin is a 1839 over 36, no year is particularly valuable in that condition. I'd go ahead and clean it, if it was me....at least enough to read the date, if possible. You can try the olive oil if you like. I haven't had much luck with it to remove corrosion, plus it takes forever to get any results at all. You can do a light cleaning that won't remove the patina by using acetone. I think I'd start there. It's not a corrosion remover either, but it might help bring out the date. After that, I'd just go ahead and soak it in vinegar and check the progress every hour or so until it stops improving. If you put the coin in the cup formed by the bottom of an aluminum soda can or by using an aluminum pie pan, it tends to work a little faster and better. Each time you pull the coin out of the vinegar, rub it with some baking soda and then rinse it off. Once you get it the best it's going to be, then put the olive oil on or use a preservative like CoinCare to keep it from corroding again.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe all that coin needs is to soak in some hot soapy water for about 15 minutes and then use a soft tooth brush to remove the dirt. You may need a toothpick to get into the crevices.

OP
OP
Marylanddetctr

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dident scrape it at all, the date was the only corrosion we wanted to remove so we could see what year it was

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something I found that explains the process used by a coin dealer. I hope it helps. https://www.crustyromans.com/cleaning/

I do the olive oil soak for days if not weeks. It does get into every crevice and the corrosion will come off. It does turn the coin very dark.
That will fade away as the coil dries out. I put one in the oven and it did speed up the drying process for the olive oil.

Be aware that sometimes the corrosion is the only thing keeping the details visible.

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a small jar like a baby food jar and fill it halfway with hydrogen peroxide (h202) and put it in the microwave for 1 minute or until it boils. then I take it out and drop the coin in it and leave it until the bubbles stop and repeat until it stops getting better. then I soak it in olive oil to bring out the detail. yes it turns the coin dark but on coins that aren't key date or ones you plan to try and sell it wont matter. :thumbsup:

PullinPlugs

Greenie
Oct 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's treasurepro, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fresh lemon juice works pretty fast, you have to swish it around alot, keep it moving and in 10 mins you should have a red hue to it with all the green and corrosion gone. At that point oil it up. That coin may come out better then u may expect, I've seen worse...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread