vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Kansas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state. Now, while waiting for a reply - you might consider browsing both the Forum > White's Electronics (DFX) and Forum > Nokta and Makro (Racer).

OP
OP
K

kan.hntr

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, for the reply. First post ,but I have enjoyed the wealth of information on this site for awhile!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight is one of the big advantages of the Racer. Quality and reliability are two advantages in White's favor. Look in the comparison section to see if anyone has done a side by side test.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no info on the racer but do own 2 DFXs. When comparing, remember you have a very long arms lengths of coil choices with the DFX, that I would bet you do not have with the newcomer..
You also know how the DFX works...

OP
OP
K

kan.hntr

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your thoughts..They actually do have a pretty good
coil selection. For the racer already....Here is some things I like about the DFX
1. The target I.d./ discrimination system.

2. Build quality

3. Ability to make it work it most situations
Some things I wonder about are target separation and depth?

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts..They actually do have a pretty good
coil selection. For the racer already....Here is some things I like about the DFX
1. The target I.d./ discrimination system.

2. Build quality

3. Ability to make it work it most situations
Some things I wonder about are target separation and depth?

Well yes, even with the adjustable recovery speed, the processor speed in the DFX is Slow compared to what is available on the market now for use in devices. Separation is also dependent on the size and design of the coil. Depth with the DFX is more related to how it is configured and the ground. Even in fairly mineral free soil using a ground filter of 2 is very detrimental to depth and 2 is used in most of the default configs.

One thing I am finding with the DFX is that I tend to crank the sensitivity way to high. This causes less separation as I am picking up close by objects and getting ground returns. We all have this idea in our heads that we need to have it on the edge of instability at all times which is not really the case in many of the sites I hunt.

As was mentioned earlier, the Racer is an import and you can not really call the factory if you have an issue..
If I was going to get a new machine, I think I would do so and hold off on getting rid of my DFX until I was sure the new machine was actually an upgrade.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the DFX and now use the V3i and the Racer. You stated that you were mostly a coin and jewelry hunter and for that purpose I'd stick with the DFX. It has many advantages for that type hunting. Many were mentioned above like coil choice, totally adjustable tone ID, etc. The Racer is a great detector, for some specific sites and iron infested sites it's got it all over the White's due to it's super fast response. That's why I mostly hunt with the V3i and the Racer although I have about ten others. The DFX (V3i) are as good as it gets when hunting freshly dropped coins and jewelry and are also excellent at pulling deep older coins. I prefer to use the BigFoot coil when hunting coins and jewelry in open areas, and I'll switch to the Racer when hunting the super trashy areas. The Racer with the 5" OOR pulls targets out of the trash like no other detector I've used. The White's with the BigFoot gets all the others in the more open, less trashy areas. I also love using the Racer in ghost towns, railroad sidings, and teardown sites. Can't really say one is better than the other. It's more a question of what works best for your type of hunting.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the DFX and now use the V3i and the Racer. You stated that you were mostly a coin and jewelry hunter and for that purpose I'd stick with the DFX. It has many advantages for that type hunting. Many were mentioned above like coil choice, totally adjustable tone ID, etc. The Racer is a great detector, for some specific sites and iron infested sites it's got it all over the White's due to it's super fast response. That's why I mostly hunt with the V3i and the Racer although I have about ten others. The DFX (V3i) are as good as it gets when hunting freshly dropped coins and jewelry and are also excellent at pulling deep older coins. I prefer to use the BigFoot coil when hunting coins and jewelry in open areas, and I'll switch to the Racer when hunting the super trashy areas. The Racer with the 5" OOR pulls targets out of the trash like no other detector I've used. The White's with the BigFoot gets all the others in the more open, less trashy areas. I also love using the Racer in ghost towns, railroad sidings, and teardown sites. Can't really say one is better than the other. It's more a question of what works best for your type of hunting.

Man what an arsenal of detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread