Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lesche Sampson 31" or 18" shovel opinions

I was looking at a 31 inch T handle Lesche Sampson shovel and just wanted to see what people thought of it before buying one. I have a Garrett Edge Digger right now and like it but when I watch videos it looks like the Sampson makes nicer plugs and does it with ease. I was also wondering if it has prone to bending being 31 inches long. Do you use it when hunting parks or it considered a shovel and a NO NO when hunting public land? If so what about the 18 inch ball handle model...I like this one as well and feel it would draw less attention to myself when carring it. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that shovel... I really wish i bought one a lot sooner. Id say the handle is your own preference, but id make sure to have a serrated edge model... This digger is a beast, and i can't say enough about it! I cant imagine ever bending it unless you maybe try to pry up a one ton boulder... Haha!!
Don't wait!!:thumbsup:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mine also!!! I dig alot in cold weather and have broken my old shovel several times in frozen ground. I'm hard on stuff and use the Simpson as much as a pry bar as a shovel. This tool is all they say and then some.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cant go wrong...I have the tee handle 31.I'm at bout 8000 ft in mtns and everything is hard,rocky.rooty and nasty.It has performed perfectly.I was buying 3ish short shovels a year before this.I pry rocks,slam it into caliche...basically abuse the tar out of it.still like new...2 years now and counting

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might see it flex when you are in really lean back on it. I have not been able to bend it yet. It is considered a shovel, and would never carry it into a park. It is great for cornfields, farm ground, relic hunting and suck. But might be a little like waving a flag in a park. Just my opinion.

It is as strong as claimed. Backed up with a warranty too.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I think I might go with the 18 inch model as I think I would be able to carry it around the local parks without any trouble. Now all I have to decide is if I want the T handle or the Ball top. Thanks again

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche Sampson 31" shovel opinions

I personally wouldn't carry either model into a park. A probe and lesche are about all I would brandish in a public area.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very much agreed with what everyone here has said so far. I just bought mine and while I really like it there is a learning curve from a Spade type shovel. Very much preferred though over lugging that sucker around let me tell you.

However these digging tools look mean and when your toting one around it definitely gives you way as deep hole digger

I went with the T handle. Seems like it gets better leverage

Snatt

Greenie
Aug 5, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Nautilus,,, Teknetics Lesche T-handle relic hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another advantage with the T handle is also a belt holder you can purchase for it. Not sure how comfortable it is but it's something that might work for you.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just placed my order for the 31 inch T handle model...I couldn't make up my mind and if it would be a bad idea to take either the 18 or 31 to a park...get the 31 :) Thanks for the help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread