Suggestions anyone?

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be going out today to do some door knocking and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to add on to my permission slip [emoji1] ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445958276.990272.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445958276.990272.jpg

Upvote 0

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Does that work for you?
I've never used a permission slip because I feel like I may get a NO if the land owner actually had to sign something. With some of my permissions, the owner wants to chat a little while and I always oblige them. Others just say "Go ahead" or "Sure" and don't act like they really want to talk, so I surely don't want to say "Well can you come sign this".
I'm definitely curious if this is a tried and true method you use or just a well intentioned idea.

To answer your question, it looks good and I have no wording suggestions. I personally use business cards with my personal information on the front and MD ethics on the back.

OP
OP
reaper8496

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that work for you?
I've never used a permission slip because I feel like I may get a NO if the land owner actually had to sign something. With some of my permissions, the owner wants to chat a little while and I always oblige them. Others just say "Go ahead" or "Sure" and don't act like they really want to talk, so I surely don't want to say "Well can you come sign this".
I'm definitely curious if this is a tried and true method you use or just a well intentioned idea.

To answer your question, it looks good and I have no wording suggestions. I personally use business cards with my personal information on the front and MD ethics on the back.

Actually, this is my first time door knocking. I'm just worried if I get people that will turn on me and pull me into court for holes that THEY dig up after I leave. So I figured that if I get them to sign this paper, I will be safe from getting sued. But if you didn't have any problem like that before, then I probably shouldn't worry.

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CC, like you, I carry business cards and talk to people. i usually reserve the "sign this" forms for the Realtors I MAY ask every now and then.

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this link, it has several permission forms that you can look at depending on the situation.

MDHTALK - Forms: Permission Letter

I agree with the Cpt., usually a friendly conversation goes a long way and may even get important information for areas on a property to focus on. A little chit chat may even get a few referrals for neighboring properties to hunt. If possible, have the property owner call or introduce you to his neighbors. An introduction can go a long way to "greasing the wheels" towards permission.

Good Luck!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd not sign it, just because I don't like signing stuff- from people I don't know.

I like the business card, maybe on the 'lighter' side, and your contact info. That way if they change their mind, they can call you.

Keep it simple, relaxed and visit with them.

OP
OP
reaper8496

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I went with what CC said, and asked someone politely and she said, oh sure! So, needless to say, I am just gonna go with that from now on. I just got back from the hunt and on my second hit, I got a 1821....large cent! I'm so freaking stoked!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Nice! I agree with those who say to avoid signed contracts, unless asked for by the landowner. Now, if they're not going to be on the property while you're searching, I'd ask them for a simple permission slip that only says that you're allowed to detect on the property as their guest, just in case a neighbor calls the cops on you.

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats, reaper!

I'm a contracts lawyer and got a kick out of your draft letter. I do agree with others here, though. It's hard for me to imagine the detectorist being exposed to liability from the landowner. I have, though, toyed with the idea of creating a little slip of paper to hand to the landowner with a copy of my ID and a statement that I waive any legal rights of recourse I might have against them for any injuries while I'm on their property. That's what I would want to see from a total stranger wanting to dig around my land.

I wonder if that's just because I'm a lawyer, though, and maybe I'm more risk averse because of it. It might spook an otherwise friendly conversation to give them something with legal language, never mind that it's to their benefit. Since you had the kind of mind to draft your permission slip earlier, what do you think?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually have a release of liability form that I modified for my metal detecting. I keep a few copies in the car, but have yet had anyone ask for one. If the situation arises, I have them handy.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread