Detecting in the rain

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Before I got into MDing, I was a hardcore bass fisher for a few decades. Rain didn't even slow me down; lightning was a different story.

Now, I metal detect and again I leave only for lightning. In the past I've used my CZ20. This Sunday it rained from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed, but I went MDing for about 5 hours anyway. I used my F75 with a rain cover. I took numerous breaks to get in a barn and dry everything off. I was very nervous the entire time that I would fry my machine. Now, I'm thinking about buying a machine strictly for rainy days. The detectors I have in mind are the Fisher F44, Garrett AT Pro, White's Coinmaster GT or the new Deteknix from the naming contest.

So, for those that don't let rain scare them off, what do you do? Do you have a rain proof machine (if so, which one), do you have a rain cover or use a plastic bag, or are there other tricks? Inquiring minds want to know! :tongue3:

Upvote 0

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out in the rain last weekend. Was using my AT PRO. Have used it during the week and all is good. I don't mind the rain as long as it's above 50 degrees.
The IH I found didn't mind that it was raining either:thumbsup:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always used plastic bags around the control box and tie the bags handles together. I have never had a problem with moisture getting in.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use saran rap and a little electrical tap. I always keep a roll of each in the van. The dust covers work well when you are detecting in intermittent rain, but if it's coming down hard, that's when I pull out the saran wrap. I have never fried a detector yet, used the F4 last season and it did not have a dust cover, the saran wrap kept me detecting in the rain.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a Deus. There are a bunch of ways to waterproof the control box.

AT Pro should work well.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a AT Pro and use a cover just to keep the screen clean and protect it from scratches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread