WaveHiMike

Greenie
Oct 10, 2015
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a place I want to hunt but I'm not exactly sure if I'm allowed to go there. It is an empty field owned by a real estate company that will eventually build a walmart or strip mall there. It used to be an old farm house. I think I'm going to go at night because I think during the day would be too risky. I'm mostly worried about being caught in a place that says no trespassing, which I'm not 100% sure if it says that but I think it might. Most likely I will go and not even be seen but you never know. Is this ok to do? Or am I breaking the rules. The only way I would be caught is if someone sees my light. I think tonight is the night I will do it too because it's warm enough and it was raining all day so the ground will be soft.

Upvote 0

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My batting average just keeps climbing......

Talked yesterday evening to the owner of the largest real-estate company in my area of Colorado.

Asked him if I could metal detect ANY property....not a specific one....ANY property with his sign on it.

His answer after a VERY short conversation about proper plugs and depth of holes etc etc.....

"Sure John...I don't see a problem with that. Stop by the office and we can print up a permission and liability paper if that is ok with you".

My response.....

"Absolutely...I thank you for your time and the permission"

I will be heading to his office Monday to sign the papers and open up a good 40-50 lots...all posted Private Property....half of which have 1800's houses in a corner that have fallen over. :thumbsup:

He also informed me it would be a good idea to call in and check with an agent to make 100% sure the property was still theirs and had not been recently sold...as sometimes the signs do not get removed right away. Pretty nice of him to mention that...being the owner and all...the guy that should have shut me down and told me no right away according to some. He also gave me permission to video all my digs...something I usually do not ask for on private property.

There is NO reason to break the law in this hobby....and there is NO reason to be afraid of asking permission. You are not getting new laws magically created...you are not opening some can of worms for the rest of the hobby....you are simply covering your own butt.

Be polite...word it correctly...don't ask desk clerks....then have fun hunting all the rad spots they said you couldn't or shouldn't. :occasion14:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really!?!? I've gotten permission for three different sites over the years. The only drawback I've hit was when one guy moved to another company half way across the country- no more good leads. The trespassing signs aren't really for liability. They give a leg up for removing trespassers, as in a lot of jurisdictions the police won't do anything if it isn't posted (fact) and usually won't do a PPI (private property impound) on abandoned cars unless it's posted and have docs from a property owner or manager.

Right, I agree totally that contacting the owner of private property is the right thing to do and would probably get access. I understood this (maybe incorrectly) to be a lot getting ready to go under construction by a large developer. In this case, getting someone to take 2 seconds to consider calling you back is probably not going to happen because they are simply not interested.

I've tried a few times contacting the companies who purchase these lots and develop them and have never gotten a single call back. However, I have a friend who's family owns a real estate company and they have given me permission to search lots that they are building on, so who you know definitely helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WaveHiMike

Greenie
Oct 10, 2015
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shouldn't have posted this thread. Live and learn. Thanks to the guys who pm'd me.

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could tell them that you would be willing to sign a waiver of liability if they let you detect there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You could tell them that you would be willing to sign a waiver of liability if they let you detect there.

Sure. You could try. But then you'd probably quickly find out that their song & dance of "liability concerns" is just the "go-to" reason to justify the "no" they just gave you. And that the REAL reason, is that they'd simply rather not be bothered.

I own a company, thus have $1million policy on myself. And have therefore given this answer to anyone who brings up the subject. Offering to get them a certificate of proof-of-ins, etc... But to no avail, they just get mad and repeat "no". The reality is: They'd rather not be bothered.

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there's no fence to hop, do it on a Sunday morning. If someone should say something, they'll most likely ask you to leave before taking legal action. No guts- no glory!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread