Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had my AT Pro for a few years now... It sees regular, heavy use (8+ hour hunts) in very rugged terrain.

It is designed to be a high-end, middle class detector. I'd say that it is absolutely worthy of that title.

Aside from "coastal detecting", I'd find it hard to believe that it wouldn't perform to your satisfaction no matter what you hunt for - unless for some reason you went from regularly using a XP Deus or CTX 3030 or something maybe.

If your a gold-specific guy, get an AT Gold... Same benefits, but peaked for gold hunting performance. Don't be the guy who claims to be a hardcore, gold-only hunter - has a choice between the 2 - but somehow ends up going with the PRO instead of the GOLD and then b**ches a hole in the ground on the forums when it doesn't squeak and squeal exactly the way you want it to, haha.

I'm 29 so maybe that has something to do with it - but the stock 11" coil is great and i don't feel that it is nose-heavy/cumbersome to any type of negative extant even on hour 10 of an all-day outing... It is there, it has the expected heft, but if your not nursing a malady or "up there" in the years (or "experience", whichever term you prefer!) I'm sure you'll be just fine.

I do want to go on the record as openly admitting to being on the same bandwagon of those who claim that the 5x8 coil does feel almost nonexistent because it balances so well... Like everyone has said, it seems the AT Pro is just flat-out optimized to run that particular coil both in balance and performance. It is definitely money well spent and i'd wager you'll join the majority of us who practically never go back to the stock coil just on principle... Its the perfect solution in combining some of the advantage of a sniper coil and the larger coverage area offered by the stock coil.

Iron audio is the bread and butter of the machine... The waterproof rating lives up the the "AT" namesake.

Its completely understandable that your on the fence about it... I'm the same way and do so much research on equipment that after so many good reviews a single negative one can cause paranoia, haha. However, i'm confident enough to put my lowly endorsement on the AT PRO.

The hardest part is ripping off the proverbial bandaid... If you can get through that I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your choice!

Sounds like you might have a great Christmas, and lots of good hunts in the coming year!

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much! And yes that was my exact thoughts "so many great reviews and 1 neagtive really gave me paranoia

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One other question what is the depth of it. Iv know a lot about the AT pro iv been doing tons of research about it but it seems everywhere i look everyone is saying different things about the depth

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One other question what is the depth of it. Iv know a lot about the AT pro iv been doing tons of research about it but it seems everywhere i look everyone is saying different things about the depth

Thats because it's not a universal answer as you are probably aware.

Maybe make a thread titled "North Georgia Hunters - Whats your average and max dig depths with the AT PRO?"

Here in the TX Hill Country, i have never found the maximum depth of the PRO because of our shallow hardpan, haha.

I will say that I pull percussion caps out at 7-8" regularly.

~Tejaas~

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is plenty deep. I have no problem pulling older coins at depth with it even with the 5x8. Just got a bunch of Indians and a Barber the other night. They were in the 5-7" range where most of the goodies are. The barber rang up a constant 83-84. With cheaper vdi machine those numbers would bounce all over the place. Now ill admit that I dug a few Large cents earlier this year with my Vaquero that were very deep 10". Not sure the pro can do that

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked to a guy in my area that owns the at pro and claimed that he has pulled a murcry dime at 11"

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe the fishing rule/wife rule applies here...

Length (minus) 6" = actual measurement.

Haha!

~Tejaas~

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked to a guy in my area that owns the at pro and claimed that he has pulled a murcry dime at 11"

I've got a quarter buried in my yard since the spring at around 9". I just barely pick it up with both coils. I believe a dime at 11" only when I dig it myself

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean its faint signal and was it a good signal and would you of dug that out in the field

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean its faint signal and was it a good signal and would you of dug that out in the field

With the stock coil, I would definitely dig it. Those faint deep signals that are reapeatable are the most exciting digs. My friend digs in trashy New Jersey Parks doesn't like it as much.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth is dependent upon 4 main things:

1) Type of metal
2) Size of metal
3) Amount of corrosion
4) Type of ground

While the coil is in salt water, max depth swinging a penny in front of the coil is 4". If that penny is in the soil and heavily corroded, and has a halo around it, I might dig it at 10". I once dug a rusty master lock in wet salt sand at close to 18". I could not believe it, and anyone would say B.S., but I did it and took a photo of the hole with my scoop in it. Of course, I could say "HEY AT PRO CAN GO 18 INCHES" but that's not entirely true. An air test on that same lock produced only 8". This is because it had a huge ring of corrosion surrounding it like a sphere.

I would never ever dig a gold ring at 18 inches because a gold ring isn't going to have a huge halo around. 9" would be more realistic in good conditions and a good sized ring.

So don't be overly concerned with depth at this point the AT Pro goes plenty deep and depth is effected by many things which are different with each target.

There are some neg reviews of the AT Pro out there and most of these people either had an early AT Pro (the early ones had issues), live in areas with heavily mineralized ground, or someone who came from another detector brand and just did not like the sounds. I didn't have that predisposition so no problem with the sounds in pro mode although it does take some time to learn "the language".

You'll find that the majority of people who have owned an AT Pro love it. Admittedly I am buying another detector, but it's definitely not to replace my AT Pro! Garrett has an excellent reputation with warranty replacement/repair also.

Last edited:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me personally I don't consider it to be a mid range machine at all..... I'd like to challenge the so called high end machines & I guarantee I will keep up with them.... Just my two cents!

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive got an AT Pro as well. i must admit that when i bought it i absolutely hated it. id never used a DD coil and pinpointing was a pain and every time id try to use a pro mode it just sounded like noise unless it was a penny around 2" deep. those hit loud and solid lol. but, after fighting through all the learning curves it threw at me i cant see myself using any other machine anytime soon. my father recently bough an E-Trac and to me that sounds like constant noise all the time whether there's a good target under it or not lol. but to him my pro sounds like noise lol. its all about getting to know your machine. "the machine is only as good as the hunter" is what my dad always says. so regardless its not whether or not the at pro is a good machine or not its how well do you know the machine. through all the reviews ive read it seems like all the negative ones are from either people who are inexperienced to hunting or people who are moving up from machines that they've been using since the 70s. don't let reviews deter you from buying what you want.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm positive im going to get the AT Pro now. Just wanted to clear up a few things that where still bugging me ect! Thank you guys so much!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only used an AT Pro twice(it's our new back up machine) and was very pleased at how easy it was to pinpoint targets. It's not quite as light weight as my Minelab but still a great machine.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question why have you owned 6? Lol I get 1 or 2 but six?

Once the warranty expires I sell the AT pro then throw $100 with the $ I receive from the sale and buy a brand new one. That way for only $100 I have a new AT pro every 2 years and am always covered by warranty

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once the warranty expires I sell the AT pro then throw $100 with the $ I receive from the sale and buy a brand new one. That way for only $100 I have a new AT pro every 2 years and am always covered by warranty

That's a great idea. I may try this with my next detector.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread