Garrett AT PRO or the Minelab 705?

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking to upgrade in the next year, but I can't seem to decide which one to choose. I've heard some bad things about the ATP having some issues with depth. Like it isn't stable on coin targets that are only 4-6 inches deep or that it just won't ring up at all. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with the X-Terra.

Upvote 0

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
I personally don't have experience with the 705 , but a hunting buddy had one for approximately 5 months and he sold it ..... Not that it was bad , but he had an opportunity to use it as some trade for a safari,and then pay the difference. I do have an ATP , I've had it for a year and a half . There isn't any issue with mine in depth . I've gotten a nickel at 10 inches, there was no vdi # but it was a clean , faint tone .
Good luck in your decision,
HH
Bill

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I used an AT Pro and did not experience and issues. I found 7"+ deep coins with it.

If you put it in Basic mode and cut the sensitivity way down, and the discrimination way up, then maybe it could miss a 4" target. In normal operating conditions with a someone that knows what they are doing, the machine should be able to hold it's own, against similarly priced machines.

Save up a little more, and go Deus, that's my best advice.
GL&HH!

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
I had an AT Pro for about two years then traded it for a 705. I couldn't tell that much difference in depth but in my opinion the 705 is more balanced and easier to swing I also like the screen and controls better. I now have an Etrac but sometimes wish I would've kept the 705.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705's prospecting mode is awesome for relic hunting open fields. The iron mask feature works well at telling if deep targets are iron or not.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking to upgrade in the next year, but I can't seem to decide which one to choose. I've heard some bad things about the ATP having some issues with depth. Like it isn't stable on coin targets that are only 4-6 inches deep or that it just won't ring up at all. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with the X-Terra.

I use the AT-Pro a lot,I have had no problem with Dept. I think for the price its one of the best coinshooting/Relics detectors out there.
If I am detecting on the beach I would get the Minelab 705

dennis

OP
OP
reaper8496

reaper8496

Apr 19, 2015
Somewhere in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your inputs! I appreciate it. I'm thinking that since I am already in the Garrett line (I own an ace 250) that I'll go with the Pro. I'm sure that I'll be happy with it.

CaptjimUP

Oct 17, 2015
Chassell, MI
Detector(s) used
Garret Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only owned my ATP for a couple of weeks now but it's finding coins down 8+" which my old Garrett CXIII has missed and my old CXIII was a great coin shooter.

GFBurke

Sep 1, 2015
South Idaho
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my 705 gold pack for 450.00 today. :D
canyons, come high snow... that AU is mine.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro here too. I love the machine. No problems with depth on land. In salt water, the max depth is around 9" for a small ring, but I've dug larger object way deeper than that. It helps to add some weight under the arm cuff to balance it.

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I know there is a big difference, but I use the xterra 305, and I must say I am really impressed so far, im assuming the 705 is even better. I have swung an at pro to see if I liked it and I did, but after using the xterra series I have to say they are excellent for the money. Just a month in I found more than I ever expected.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a X-705 but a X-70. Lasted a month and I traded it. Tried to like it, but the numerics are stepped up rather than 0-99 in single digits (or broken down with the - for iron like the AT Pro). Slower recovery rate as well. I traded it for a Fisher F5 that I used for 6 years. The AT Pro has many newer digital technology offerings over the older XTerra's, IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread