Used (old) metal detectors for a beginner

fizzlebottom

Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to get into this hobby, and have a good idea of which new entry-level detectors would do me well. But I'm curious about older models. I see a lot of flashy features on new models; LCDs, big buttons, volume controls, etc. vs old models with dials, switches, and meters. I'm not averse to really learning how to identify tones and whatnot if it means getting a quality used machine for a little less money.

But I'm not sure if the newer models are built with more convenience features or actual better detecting abilities.

IE: Can a brand new Fisher F44 detect better and more accurately than an older Whites Goldmaster II given the right skill?

If you have any suggestions for makes/models to look for in the used market, I'd appreciate it as well.
I'm more specifically asking about a White's Classic III Plus that I have an opportunity to get for less than $150. That price is much more attractive than the $350 for a Fisher F44 (suggested to me by Blake @ KellyCo)

Upvote 0

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
You can get a new Tesoro Compadre for $160 from Kellco. It has no LCDs, big buttons, volume controls, etc.

I personally like the help that the VDI gives on determining to dig or not. And even though I already have an F75 and a Tesoro Tejon, I recently ordered an F44 because it's weatherproof. (from Blake @ Kellyco :happy11: )

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iFriz, the older models go just as deep as the newer ones, but minus target ID and the other goodies. The laws of the different freq. have remained the same. The major advances have been with the Pulse units, and the goodies ID dept, and possibly battery life. .I remember the days when we only had tube models and had to use heavy Plate voltage batteries etc. with very short lives and availability.

I would say that you could go for an older, cheaper model- such as the Garrett Deep Seeker 7 etc and be thankful of their lighter weight and stabilites.

I would say , yes go for the oldies and accustom yourself to lots of digging.

Have fun.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
6000 di pro is a good older machine that is very versatile and easy to learn.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger as my first detector earlier this year...roughly Jan-Feb if I remember. It (and a sluice) helped me find 2.2oz of gold this year in Colorado and Arizona.

Took me about 10-15 hours to "master" it...not the 100 hours Garrett and other fools recommended. (IMO MDing is not as difficult to comprehend as MANY make it out to be)

The Gold Bug 2 is what I would consider an "older machine" and Fisher just had their best year of sales with it ever. So the older machines absolutely work and still have their place in many cases.

That being said....I sold my Scorpion to a friend as I plan on getting a new F19 soon enough. IMO the newer VDI machines are not just fluff....they are "better" so to speak. For my personal preferences they offer me a wide range of capabilities the older machines just cannot match.

Best of luck with your decision...keep us posted.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are definitely a wise person for looking at used machines. I have been MD'ING for over 15 years and have only bought used machines. A lot of detectorists buy the newest models when they come out then sell them after only having hunted a few hours or months with them. I say let someone else take the depreciation hit on the new detector. I always wanted a T2 from the first time I saw them years ago when they debuted but the price was out of reach for me. Back in August (this year), I bought a 6 month-old T2 SE LTD (with DST from the factory) from a guy on another popular treasure forum. It came with the stock 11" DD coil, 5"DD coil, neoprene display cover and an extra rod, all shipped in the original box for half of what it costs new. It pays to look around and be patient. In the meantime, decide what type of detecting you will want to do: parks, open fields, old home sites, water, beach, etc. Research detectors that will fit your hunting requirements. .Narrow your detector choices down to a few then let the money you have do the talking when you find the one you want. It's your money, spend it wisely.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrett Ace 250 is perfect for learning. I still use one as a backup from time to time and feel perfectly comfortable using it almost anywhere.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still using my 32 year old Fisher 1260X. No nuthin but knobs. Yes, I have the CTX, but I actually pick up the Fisher when I'm just going to do a short easy hunt. That machine "speaks" to me and I understand it. I've dug dimes at 10", so it's no weakling compared to modern fancy gizmo detectors.

A moral to pass by you = what ever machine you choose, take the serious time to learn what it is telling you.

Why did I buy a CTX? Because I wanted one!

I purchased it USED, still under warranty, for 60% of original cost.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older machines can do the job. They are heavier, use more power to operate and are slower in recovery rate (so swing slow). But they do detect metal and will give you an idea what it thinks it is. Once digital replaced analog circuitry, the newer detectors offer a lot more options in a much lighter package. But the end result hasn't changed that much.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would choose a used detector over a new detector except in one particular case: hunting in salt water. In this case a new detector with warranty unless you get it cheap enoigh to accept the risk. My AT pro was 350 used and it has t leaked yet fingers crossed. You can find plenty of land detectors which are quite good for $150-$300

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
r we really having this discussion you are new at this so why harass your self with old models 9 outta 10 times you are gonna get so mad at digging junk that you are gonna give up. so buy a new model and you might get your money back when you quit and if you don't quit you will have mastered the new model and will not wanna look ba to the past but will wanna look to the future.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have bought new and used, never had an issue either way.

The basic reason to have this hobby is enjoyment. This would include the joy you get from saving money , OR the joy of opening a new detector, and ripping off the plastic screen protector for the first time.

Which one is more joyful?

That is up to you.

If you are short on cash (that you would be willing to part with for a detector) then buy used.

If you have money to spare for hobbies, and think that you are in this for the long haul, buy new.

Life is short

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
r we really having this discussion you are new at this so why harass your self with old models 9 outta 10 times you are gonna get so mad at digging junk that you are gonna give up. so buy a new model and you might get your money back when you quit and if you don't quit you will have mastered the new model and will not wanna look ba to the past but will wanna look to the future.

With the money saved buying a used detector, this leaves $$ for a good pinpointer and decent headphones. And if your 9 out of 10 statistic is true, why would you spend all that coin on a new detector when "you might get your money back when you quit"?Real encouraging words there??? Metal detectors are almost like automobiles when it comes to depreciation, sometimes worse. Besides, it doesn't matter how much you spend on a detector if you don't take the time to learn it.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy a used detector for a good price, you generally won't lose anything if you have to turn around and resell it. Even the most popular new model is going to lose 25% of it value as soon as it's "driven off the lot". Not so with a popular used model if you shop for the right deal. You can sometimes even make money! The advantage of a beginner buying new is, warranty, condition, user tips from a dealer, and getting the latest technology. If you're willing to gamble a little and you're good at figuring things out for yourself, buying used can save you a lot of money.

OP
OP
F

fizzlebottom

Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a wealth of info from everyone.

I've decided to save up for a month or two and go for the Fisher F44. $350 ain't a whole lot in the end, but as a new dad with a new mortgage, I've gotta put other priorities up front. I'd love a solid used machine for cheap, but the F44 seems to have everything I'd need in a machine for a good few years to come.

Thanks for the help in deciding.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should work fine for you in most types of general detecting. I doubt it will be much use in a wet salt water environment however. Have fun!

OP
OP
F

fizzlebottom

Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That should work fine for you in most types of general detecting. I doubt it will be much use in a wet salt water environment however. Have fun!

Fisher lists this one as having a waterproof coil, weatherproof/resistant box, and that it comes with the ability to ground balance. As far as I understand, that set of features will allow me to use it on saltwater beaches if needed.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher lists this one as having a waterproof coil, weatherproof/resistant box, and that it comes with the ability to ground balance. As far as I understand, that set of features will allow me to use it on saltwater beaches if needed.

true...however as you will see any single freq.vlf machine is gonna struggle in the wet salt sand.they are chatty there.if you can handle the noise you may be able to pull it off.dry sand...no problem at all.if this is to be a major part of your hunting,wet salt sand,you are going to be dissapointed.

one call to one our supporting vendors would be wise...find them in the classifieds forum

good luck...its a fantastic hobby for sure !!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a wealth of info from everyone.

I've decided to save up for a month or two and go for the Fisher F44. $350 ain't a whole lot in the end, but as a new dad with a new mortgage, I've gotta put other priorities up front. I'd love a solid used machine for cheap, but the F44 seems to have everything I'd need in a machine for a good few years to come.

Thanks for the help in deciding.

Good all around choice. I didn't see anything in your posts about salt water, so you should be fine. Actually, the F22 is a good choice as well for a new detectorist, if you want to save some $$$.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread