Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: what to charge for MD service

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2013
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

what to charge for MD service

theirs a construction company thats building new piers on the beach , they made big piles of sand with pieces of rebar in those piles , they want to hire me to scan each bulldozer scoop of sand for rebar ( and jewlery) as they spread out the sand , just want an idea what to charge per hour for this job, and rewards possible

Oct 2015
    Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
    42 times
    Relic Hunting

So the three main market forces at play here would be: 1) presence of any other service providers (MDrs) in the area, 2) if any, the prices they charge, 3) the value of your time taking into consideration your potential to profit directly from kept targets.

I would think #1 would be the wild card. #2 would probably be $0 since others might be willing to do the job on contingency. #3 depends on your circumstances.

For me, I would charge a little less than I would otherwise make at my real job since it would be a little more fun than my real job. But I might charge $0 and agree to make a contingency if I get to keep everything.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    5261 times
    I would probably give a total amount for the time spent. And make an agreement that anything other than rebar you get to keep as a bonus for helping them out.
    T.C., whammy and RustyGold like this.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6546 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I'd do it for free assuming it's not going to be a 9-5 type job and I could keep anything I find. I like making friends in the construction business for future hunting sites.
    T.C., whammy, slink and 3 others like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8356 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Dunno what state you are in, but in some, you would be considered a business if you are charging for your services.

That opens up a can of worms. What if you miss one and there is subsequent damage or personal injury to something or someone. Will you be liable? There are a zillion lawyers with nothing to do but file lawsuits...

If you do it for free, and don't have a contract- that may limit liability and let you have a great hunt.
    Fletch88, RTH and T.C. like this.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

Feb 2013
    Longview, Texas
    1864 times
    Whatever a archeologist would charge plus $1
    jamiefind, JoeB_OH, T.C. and 1 others like this.

Oct 2015
    Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
    42 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    Dunno what state you are in, but in some, you would be considered a business if you are charging for your services.

That opens up a can of worms. What if you miss one and there is subsequent damage or personal injury to something or someone. Will you be liable? There are a zillion lawyers with nothing to do but file lawsuits...

If you do it for free, and don't have a contract- that may limit liability and let you have a great hunt.
    You're obviously a business if you charge for services rendered. Taxed as sole proprietorship. Etc. Personally I would absolutely have a written "understanding" that in exchange for the mutual benefits of the arrangement, neither of you is responsible if the other one gets hurt or property is damaged or any other damages at all. Of course I'm a lawyer with a zillion other things to do BESIDES file lawsuits, but whatever.
    GA_Boy and T.C. like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10020 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    If the sand is at an old recreational boardwalk type frontage, I'd do it for free. And keep all the non-rebar objects. If it's sterile sand and you're doing an industrial job, then I'd do as etex says

Seems they'd be just-as-well off with a giant industrial trommel, if they're only objective is to remove large objects. ,

Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    11460 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Make a deal:
    You get to keep what you want to keep and you'll do if for free--until it becomes 'work'; then you'll make another deal with them, or not.
    Don...
    jamiefind likes this.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2353 times

$30/hour and time and a half after 8. Plus all the beer you can drink!
    RustyGold and G.A.P.metal like this.

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1583 times
    Free, if you keep the finds except rebar.

us
    we exist,and we are watching you

Nov 2011
    so.cal.mtns.
    garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
    3400 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    two problems...you will have to work at their pace,and their pace will likely be very fast.You may have no time to dig anything but rebar.you wont take a break till they take a break.UNLESS you are allowed all the time you need to look for rebar,have no liability and no expectations of x sq.footage per hour.then just do it for free if you think it will be a fun hunt.
    T.C. and jamiefind like this.
    I dont care which machine you use...you're gonna dig trash.
    an extra thousand bucks aint gonna solve that.

Charter Member
    us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    13936 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Hell...I'd do it for the rebar.
    jamiefind and bigfoot1 like this.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1318 times
    Metal Detecting
    To me this doesn't sound possible... detecting a scoop load of dirt at a time, unless they spread it 6" deep is going to be difficult. They can drop each scoop faster than you can sweep it.
    bigfoot1 likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flgliderpilot View Post
    To me this doesn't sound possible... detecting a scoop load of dirt at a time, unless they spread it 6" deep is going to be difficult. They can drop each scoop faster than you can sweep it.
    Maybe get a friend or two to help-------------------split the loot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links