langsy

Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So the three main market forces at play here would be: 1) presence of any other service providers (MDrs) in the area, 2) if any, the prices they charge, 3) the value of your time taking into consideration your potential to profit directly from kept targets.

I would think #1 would be the wild card. #2 would probably be $0 since others might be willing to do the job on contingency. #3 depends on your circumstances.

For me, I would charge a little less than I would otherwise make at my real job since it would be a little more fun than my real job. But I might charge $0 and agree to make a contingency if I get to keep everything.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably give a total amount for the time spent. And make an agreement that anything other than rebar you get to keep as a bonus for helping them out.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd do it for free assuming it's not going to be a 9-5 type job and I could keep anything I find. I like making friends in the construction business for future hunting sites.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Dunno what state you are in, but in some, you would be considered a business if you are charging for your services.

That opens up a can of worms. What if you miss one and there is subsequent damage or personal injury to something or someone. Will you be liable? There are a zillion lawyers with nothing to do but file lawsuits...

If you do it for free, and don't have a contract- that may limit liability and let you have a great hunt.

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dunno what state you are in, but in some, you would be considered a business if you are charging for your services.

That opens up a can of worms. What if you miss one and there is subsequent damage or personal injury to something or someone. Will you be liable? There are a zillion lawyers with nothing to do but file lawsuits...

If you do it for free, and don't have a contract- that may limit liability and let you have a great hunt.

You're obviously a business if you charge for services rendered. Taxed as sole proprietorship. Etc. Personally I would absolutely have a written "understanding" that in exchange for the mutual benefits of the arrangement, neither of you is responsible if the other one gets hurt or property is damaged or any other damages at all. Of course I'm a lawyer with a zillion other things to do BESIDES file lawsuits, but whatever.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the sand is at an old recreational boardwalk type frontage, I'd do it for free. And keep all the non-rebar objects. If it's sterile sand and you're doing an industrial job, then I'd do as etex says :)

Seems they'd be just-as-well off with a giant industrial trommel, if they're only objective is to remove large objects. ,

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$30/hour and time and a half after 8. Plus all the beer you can drink!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free, if you keep the finds except rebar.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
two problems...you will have to work at their pace,and their pace will likely be very fast.You may have no time to dig anything but rebar.you wont take a break till they take a break.UNLESS you are allowed all the time you need to look for rebar,have no liability and no expectations of x sq.footage per hour.then just do it for free if you think it will be a fun hunt.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me this doesn't sound possible... detecting a scoop load of dirt at a time, unless they spread it 6" deep is going to be difficult. They can drop each scoop faster than you can sweep it.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me this doesn't sound possible... detecting a scoop load of dirt at a time, unless they spread it 6" deep is going to be difficult. They can drop each scoop faster than you can sweep it.

Maybe get a friend or two to help-------------------split the loot.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
On friday, I got a call from a new home builder. He asked if I could find the 4 corner pins on the lot where they were about to start a house. He said that the guy who usually does his surveying wanted $3-500-. I jokingly told him I would do it for $2-400-. I grabbed my detector and ran in to do it. Twenty minutes later I was done. He happens to be a good friend, so i did it for free.

I am sure you will figure something out that suits you both.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Charge a fair price. I'm sure the contractor charges about $70/140 per hour per man when bidding his work. Work at a safe pace and charge the going rate of a highly skilled individual in construction. $20hr. is too cheap and $40/hr. is too much. I know as a licensed contractor I would be comfortable paying something like $24/Hr. Especially knowing, that by hiring you by the hour, you are not only covered under my various insurances but that I will have to cover that cost as well.
So my estimate is $24/Hr. give them the rebar and share the rewards but don't say that at first. Leave the rewards part off the table until the end of the job and if it's still worth it then offer to share anything that isn't rebar.
The Contractor isn't just hiring a man, they're hiring the skills and equipment that goes with it.
Best of Luck!

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
On friday, I got a call from a new home builder. He asked if I could find the 4 corner pins on the lot where they were about to start a house. He said that the guy who usually does his surveying wanted $3-500-. I jokingly told him I would do it for $2-400-. I grabbed my detector and ran in to do it. Twenty minutes later I was done. He happens to be a good friend, so i did it for free.

I am sure you will figure something out that suits you both.
$3500.00 to find 4 pins that sounds really high to me..

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Are they hiring you to get just the rebar? Then I'd say $0, with contingency you keep everything else. If they hire to get rebar, and whatever else might be there, then I would think they want a cut or all. Then you charge as much as you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions