Just back from some door knocking

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got back from some door knocking and I have no idea how some of you can do this all of the time. I spent the last two days looking at old Twp. maps from 1861 and 1874 to make sure the houses I wanted to go to were nice and old. I even wrote down the web addresses to the maps on the back of my MD business cards just so I would have something to talk to them about...and I was still terrified. I did meet a very nice man who gave me permission to hunt around his barn so I will call this a win but I think I was shaking when I stopped at the other homes. The people were nice enough but you could tell right away it was going to be a "no". I explained how their homes were on the old maps the how they could type in the web address on the back of the card to view the map...then I thanked them for their time and went on my way. I have two more leads for spots of an old county fair from around 1852 - 1882 in my area...after those I think I may give my heart a break :) I am just hoping that door knocking will get a lot easier the more I do it because the parks are not as much fun as they used to be. One question, When you go knocking on doors do you go during the week or weekend and at what time. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are on the right track, it gets easier with time. I sometimes cold knock, but rather catch them in the yard. If they are older or handicapped I even offer to do a little labor to sweeten the deal. At one house I cold knocked and and older gentleman answered the door, I can see that he came from a hospital bed in his living room. I offered to pull all the left over trash from the part of his house that he rents for additional income. I even vacumned all the carpets. There weren't any silvers pulled from his lot, but I sure did run into a tribe of Indians (6 total). I worked for about 3 hours and detected numerous times on his property. My last permission, the owner has a heart condition, so Friday I plan on racking his side yards. It will decrease the false signals and allow me to hunt those areas having them cleaned up. Some treasures aren't dug and they can lead to more permissions.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have gotten a few permissions from people I work with, have you asked any of your peers at work? Even a newer property 1940's to 1960's can give up silver and jewelry.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going at it in a respectful manor, You will loosen up with time. Keep up the faith!

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice but this has to be the hardest part of MDing. Loco I like the idea of offering some help to them...I think that would make me feel a little better about the whole deal. Thanks again

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm new like you, and I haven't knocked yet. Love to see that you did that research and apparently put into use.

Did you offer to give them any part of your finds? Say anything about trying to disturb the ground minimally? Curious whether you said any of those things that I've read that help to ease the permission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It never made it that far with the ones that said no :) As soon as I had handed them my business card and told them about the old Twp. maps it was a "NO". You could tell by their body language that I was wasting their time. The man that said yes stood and talked to me for about 45 minutes about his property and everything else under the sun. I let him know that I was looking mainly for older coins...such as Indian Head pennies and older dimes...as I didn't want him to start thinking I would be finding bars of gold. He ended our conversation by telling me I could come anytime and that I didn't need to come to the house to tell him when I was there. I plan on going Saturday morning and will show him all of the items I find when I get done. I have only knocked on five doors and have gotten a yes on two of those.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always make sure to tell them you are local or live nearby. Increases the chances of a yes IMO. Also...make them think they possibly the holy grail in their yard.

"Hello...my name is X...I live over on X street. I'm really into our towns history and finding relics that may be of historical value. I have founds TONS of cool stuff at other houses around here....I was wondering if you would be interested in seeing if your yard has such items?"

Usually works for me....

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strike up a friendship with the old gentleman....he might be able to point you to other leads!! He sounds like a pretty cool ol' timer!!:thumbsup:
It never made it that far with the ones that said no :) As soon as I had handed them my business card and told them about the old Twp. maps it was a "NO". You could tell by their body language that I was wasting their time. The man that said yes stood and talked to me for about 45 minutes about his property and everything else under the sun. I let him know that I was looking mainly for older coins...such as Indian Head pennies and older dimes...as I didn't want him to start thinking I would be finding bars of gold. He ended our conversation by telling me I could come anytime and that I didn't need to come to the house to tell him when I was there. I plan on going Saturday morning and will show him all of the items I find when I get done. I have only knocked on five doors and have gotten a yes on two of those.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever watch American Pickers ?
Take the way that Mike approaches a situation / house / people as a good foundation to follow by.

This is the best "example" / bone I can throw you where you can "see" an approach that is non threatening and successful.
Little things matter.
Don't approach the "wrong ways" this is the key...
You got 2 out of 5 so you are on your way.

Whenever I see someone outside their home this is the best time to slow down ... roll your window all the way down...
Smile...
Say "good morning" if morning... "good afternoon"... Can I ask you a quick question...

I am a metal detectorist and I am really interested in old areas locally and am out looking for spots that I can metal detect...
Has anyone ever detected your property ?

If yes... then say " oh really what did they find ?... etc etc.. talk it up.. and ask questions... see where it leads... DETECT it if you can still.
If no... then say " oh wow... do you think it would possible for me to detect your property...
I will remove all trash I find... and leave no trace ... I only dig tiny holes which I refill.
I am so good I will not even damage the grass.

OR the likes... make up your own "foot in the door" line.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met so many cool people... to some too worried about things... to some real Biatches and A-holes ...
But during my years I have met all walks of life... more pleasant than not...
From rocket scientist... to other detectorists.

Nothing like the feeling when they say... Heck dig all ya want just fill your holes.
I have had lunch and drinks brought out before...
on and on...

OH BTW... LOCO... is dead on...
HELP them in any way... ask them if there is anything they need some help with in exchange for metal detecting their property.
This is great.

PS> Just make SURE that you respect the owner AND their property...
ALL detectorists should make this the FIRST priority. Period.

Last edited:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Invite them to walk with you so that they can see how respectful you will treat the lawn. They most likely wont but the offer builds trust. Then let them see you fill up any holes you make. Take the trash that you find home with you, after showing it to them.

Important: Don't go alone! Especially if you are a younger person.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the best one I've read yet!!:thumbsup:
I have met so many cool people... to some too worried about things... to some real Biatches and A-holes ...
But during my years I have met all walks of life... more pleasant than not...
From rocket scientist... to other detectorists.

Nothing like the feeling when they say... Heck dig all ya want just fill your holes.
I have had lunch and drinks brought out before...
on and on...

OH BTW... LOCO... is dead on...
HELP them in any way... ask them if there is anything they need some help with in exchange for metal detecting their property.
This is great.

PS> Just make SURE that you respect the owner AND their property...
ALL detectorists should make this the FIRST priority. Period.

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
This would worry the heck out of me...

You see one hole in a water / gas pipe / phone cable / electrical cable etc under the ground and your up for the tradesmen repair bill.

Say you hit a gas main and the whole neighborhood has to be evacuated to a hotel at your expense until the gas & fire people fix things and eliminate the threat?

Here we have laws even for homeowners and contractors.. "dial BEFORE you dig" and they have the city ordinance maps overlaid the addresses on google earth of every phone cable gas mains under ground cables optic fiber cables etc/ You talk them thru where you are and what your planning to dig for etc and they will even email you all the threats in that locality etc, once your informed you can legally dig and your insurer will cover you if you accidentally bust something - but if you didn't dial the number first then your it - for expenses to fix things.

When i put in a workshop in the back yard - I was carefull digging BUT I still dug up a lot of active water gardens lawns reticulation pipe that all had to be re-routed around the foundations. When the mini digger came in to take the turf away for the concrete floor inside the new workshop we found 50+ year old retic pipe (thankfully no longer active) that we had to dig out. We still managed to cut wires that operated the solenoids and have to get the guy out to locate the solenoids with his detector machine and fix them all the restore the automated reticulation system.

There's like 3 phase 415 volt power under the lawn to the submersible bore pump.

Anytime anyone sticks a fork or a shovel in the ground here, it ends up being like a $1000 repair bill.

I can understand why people say no when permission is asked.

I just can't imagine trying to detect in peoples private yards... what with all the modern services these days (I never mentioned sewer) what are the odds you WON'T poke a hole in something not meant to have a hole in it?

Round here its every other week I am repairing something after a contract gardener or plumber or someone came & after they left the sprinklers don't work - there's water geysers in the yard etc.

I'm fascinated by metal detecting and it's not that I wouldn't want anyone to find a hidden treasure in my yard, it's just that I already spend so much time fixing things in the ground round here I wouldn't be game to let anyone try.

I am amazed people do it and get away with it... if you leave a card with your contact 6 months later when a pipe bursts or something you just have to know the peoples lawyers are going to be calling your number and saying it must have been you - here's the $3K cable guys bill (insert contractor of your choice here) for you to pay!

Not for this little black duck, sorry!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a point there. I also live in a state with call before you dig. All that you have stated above is true....especially on private property. The only thing I would be concerned about being buried shallow, would be phone cable and most of the older homes it is overhead. Thanks for another perspective!!:thumbsup:

GFBurke

Sep 1, 2015
South Idaho
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One tip, don't walk up with your detector. Leave that in the car/home.
Just be you, they are just humans too.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody had that hotspot that's on your bucketlist, and offered the owner any money to hunt it? My place on the bucketlist is where I grew up. My grandfather's house was next door to where we lived, and there is a big gulley on his land where we used to find these softball size round iron things. Turns out with a little research of the area, that it used to be a harbor way back in the day. There is also a monument that states the area used to be a military sharpshooters park. Middle 1800's. All I can think of is those round iron things, maybe cannon balls.

Before the military, it was an Indian settlement. We would find arrowheads all over the place and not that has to do with Indians, IH's were very common. Of course we just went to the penny candy store, and didn't think anything of the arrowheads when were only 8 yrs. old.

Just wondering if anyone would pay to hunt a property, just as an incentive. What the heck , you have to pay for everything else.

I would pay up to $50 to hunt that property. Might even find some of my old toys, and maybe some of grandpa's old tools out in the yard, that I didn't put away.:thumbsup:

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
When my kids were growing up, my lawnmower was my metal detector. Darned kids would get my tools out of the shed to fix their bikes on the front lawn, fix the bike and ride off with their cobbers from next door the same age, leaving MY tools in the grass for me to find next month with the lawn mower!.

They are in their late 20's now... with kids of their own.... can't wait until my grand kids are doing the same to them with their tools in years to come.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. :thumbsup:

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the business card is a turn off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread