Need help on identifying!!!!

Ltmagnum

Nov 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the other day i went by an antique store that i have been to many times and have become friends with over the years. The store is an old train depot that has been converted to his store. I got to talking to him and he hands me the object below and tells me about how he let a kid in the area metal detect under the old depot which this kid unearthed this object. The top has been cleaned up to remove some corrosion and it appears to be copper or brass. Also the top is threaded to screw onto something.
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bad rendition in the metal arts of a pot leaf ?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one of them metal rooster foot. Made for a large metal rooster that is a garden ornament. The top of the foot would have inserted into the legs. That is just a guess.

OP
OP
L

Ltmagnum

Nov 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were thinking it could be a rooster foot but maybe for some kind of candle holder. Your idea of a giant rooster is a good idea but ive never heard of one being made of copper or brass before.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fh3.jpg

There's too many.... Ah say, there's too many TOES boy...

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a handle on it and use the hook to remove the lids on your wood stove and the foot to stoke the fire?????????????????????????

Nortonics

Greenie
Nov 20, 2007
That is a crow's foot electrode for a antique copper sulfate battery - used to power antique radios around 1900.

Last edited:

Nortonics

Greenie
Nov 20, 2007
The top has been cleaned up to remove some corrosion and it appears to be copper or brass.

Solid Zinc (except for that copper tip) - that should cover you for a months worth of pennys...

The first time I ever saw one of these (in use, no less) was a pair of these batteries powering a spark-gap transmitter (one of the earliest wireless devices ever) at a wireless museum near my hometown here in MN. The batts are underneath the table and can't be seen in this vid, but I tell ya what, when he hits the morse key to transmit it's so loud you don't dare get within a foot or two of that thing. Very powerful for what they are:

Antique and HAM radios have been in my blood longer than MD'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread