Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Never knocked on a door to hunt some one's property .. FOR i do not believe in hunting other ones private land... When some one ask's to hunt my property i am always nice but tell them no . I will not hunt there's and i do not want them on mine..

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like someone needs to re-read the question.... ::eyeroll::

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the people who go out door knocking...what is your ratio of yes to no answers from property owners?

My ratio is 7/10 roughly. I see absolutely no problem with asking for permission to hunt a private property. I would not allow anybody to hunt my property, however I will hunt others if they allow me to do so.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only cold knocked a few times. 3 yes, 2 no, 3 come back another time. I have hunted 28 other permissions this season, a few were friends places, but most were gotten when I saw the owner in the yard. Being 56, local, and friendly, I pose no threat.

Keppy I can see your side, but I am willing to ask for permission, since the odds are much higher on digging old coins even a bucket list coin on private property. If someone asks to hunt my property (built in the 1970s) I would take them to the back of my van and show them my detectors. I'd explain that I used my yard learn to hunt and they are welcome to detect. I doubt if they'd hunt it after that. (They may find 50 to 75 cents in clad and I hope they'd big the beer tabs out of the back yard).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only cold knocked a few times. 3 yes, 2 no, 3 come back another time. I have hunted 28 other permissions this season, a few were friends places, but most were gotten when I saw the owner in the yard. Being 56, local, and friendly, I pose no threat.

Keppy I can see your side, but I am willing to ask for permission, since the odds are much higher on digging old coins even a bucket list coin on private property. If someone asks to hunt my property (built in the 1970s) I would take them to the back of my van and show them my detectors. I'd explain that I used my yard learn to hunt and they are welcome to detect. I doubt if they'd hunt it after that. (They may find 50 to 75 cents in clad and I hope they'd big the beer tabs out of the back yard).
Yes i know what you mean ... But my home was built in 1896 and some one is always knocking on my door ... Drives me crazy..

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not trying to be a jerk here but if you don't hunt other people's land " .. FOR i do not believe in hunting other ones private land... " then where do you hunt? The local parks around here have been hit hard and I am just looking for some virgin ground. Enlighten me on the places I must not be thinking of.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When I was a kid starting out with this in the late 1970s, my success ratio was 90 to 100% (rarely ever got a no). But I guess being a freckle face kid who rolls up on his Schwinn bike, looks very harmless and innocent. Now that I'm a ugly mean looking adult guy, my success is below half. Doh!

The best way is to "catch them on their front porch" so-to-speak. You know, like if they're out front washing their car, or watering the lawn, or unloading their groceries from their car, etc.... I will sometimes purposefully, if scouting an old block of homes to find a lawn to do, will drive around several blocks looking for someone out in their yard doing yard work or whatever. Because by catching them outside (and wearing a big smile), your odds are much better. You're not "in their private space" so to speak, when you are just on the sidewalk talking to them.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not trying to be a jerk here but if you don't hunt other people's land " .. FOR i do not believe in hunting other ones private land... " then where do you hunt? The local parks around here have been hit hard and I am just looking for some virgin ground. Enlighten me on the places I must not be thinking of.
I hunt in the woods i find old foundation's and old cellar holes .. It is not easy like running to the park, the play ground or the beach ... It takes work to find these places... I found a old cellar hole this summer way out in the woods ... I think now a days there is no land that is not owned by someone or the government .. But there is still places to hunt were no one cares if you are there .. Away from all the people so you can enjoy the peace & quiet of the only sounds is the beep of your detector and the sound of your shovel digging...

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will start looking and asking about places like this when talking to friends. Thanks

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will start looking and asking about places like this when talking to friends. Thanks

Let's be honest here . You are always either hunting on some sort of government owned property or private land. Just because you are at a cellar hole in the middle of nowhere ( which is how I usually hunt) you are still on someone's land. And I never feel like i'am begging when I ask permission to hunt; just did it today and got permission and even got an inside tour of a awesome 1778 house to boot. For me , knock on wood , if you approach them properly , I've never been turned down ( just jinxed myself).

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a kid starting out with this in the late 1970s, my success ratio was 90 to 100% (rarely ever got a no). But I guess being a freckle face kid who rolls up on his Schwinn bike, looks very harmless and innocent. Now that I'm a ugly mean looking adult guy, my success is below half. Doh!

The best way is to "catch them on their front porch" so-to-speak. You know, like if they're out front washing their car, or watering the lawn, or unloading their groceries from their car, etc.... I will sometimes purposefully, if scouting an old block of homes to find a lawn to do, will drive around several blocks looking for someone out in their yard doing yard work or whatever. Because by catching them outside (and wearing a big smile), your odds are much better. You're not "in their private space" so to speak, when you are just on the sidewalk talking to them.

Of the 7703 posts you have ever made, this is on par with all the others..your insight, experience and knowledge are what this site thrives on.... You are the man.:notworthy:

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on Long Island Ny and most people look at you like your insane for even asking them. That's if they even answer the door. I have had 0 success door knocking so I don't even try anymore. But if you get permission to dig on private property that's great! Good luck!!!

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My success rate is about 7 out of 10 - that includes asking businesses as well as private citizens. But I am a 5 foot tall harmless looking woman. I think I don't look very threatening. I also live in a relatively rural area.

AgeofDiscovery

Jan 18, 2015
Williams, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, being a burly looking college student with a beard probably doesn't help my case, but this is something that I'd like to do more. I left my detectors back in Minnesota when I came to college, but it is definately a necessity to bring back when I go home for break.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread