Medal detecting in ground litered with iron

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure! Set your discrimination to Pulltab or above. If that doesn't work, get a Tesoro Cibola! :occasion14:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of iron will mask good targets. My friend and I have an iron infested site that we have been working for awhile and the good targets are starting to come threw as we clean it. He has a Tesoro and I use an ATPro. Neither machine seems to out shine the other as we both have found an equal amount of good targets. It takes time but if you know your at a good spot you must clean it or wonder what you missed. Just my two cents

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get yourself a small coil, 5 inch to 6 inch diameter.

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using a ctx 3030 and a xp deus. I know there's good targets being masked and there deep under iron nails and such. I thought discrimination of iron would allow you to find the good targets under the iron but that's not the case.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Bayard, use a small coil, this will allow you to maximize target separation.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sproatz,

As painful as it might sound....the main issue is iron masking and to get at the deeper/older finds you're probably going to have to clear out the top 4"/6" of targets iron or otherwise.

If the site has sufficient age it might very well be worth it....my avatar rings all came from trashy sites among other good finds I've made over the years.

Regards + HH

Bill

I'm using a ctx 3030 and a xp deus. I know there's good targets being masked and there deep under iron nails and such. I thought discrimination of iron would allow you to find the good targets under the iron but that's not the case.

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I found a vintage avatar locket

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a way that you can set up a detector to find a silver or copper coin in a bucket of nails with out picking up the iron?

If you want to understand what you are asking please read the following article. It is long with lots of picture and diagrams but should probably not be read in one sitting unless you plan to read it more than once. It is a lot of info to process Truth About Search Coils

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... I thought discrimination of iron would allow you to find the good targets under the iron but that's not the case....

Welcome to the harsh cruel reality of the concept known as "masking". The detector will tend to see the object on TOP. So if you're rejecting the target on top, guess what happens ? Doh!

And in your OP, you use the term "bucket of nails". I'm assuming you were just using that figuratively, right ? :) Because of course, you can not find a coin in a "bucket of nails", no-more-so than you can put a coin on the seat of a '57 chevy, and detect the coin through the door.

But for a fighting chance at normal ghost-townsy ruins conditions (scattered nails): The various 2-filter machines listed can help see through and around them (they "average" better). But the downsides will be: less depth and TID and minerals ability.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I agree with Bayard, use a small coil, this will allow you to maximize target separation.

"separation" is one factor in the recipe. That's fine and dandy when the issue is one target *next* (close to) another. But if the coin is utterly/truly UNDER the nail (with no "peak" at the coin to either side), then the issue becomes one of AVERAGING. Some machines average better than others. And yes, those same machines usually also separate better too.

OP
OP
sproatz

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was tring to say is there a machine or setting that can detect a coin 8 to 10 inches under soil litered with nails with the coin directly under nails not next to. Has technology figured a way yet?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I was tring to say is there a machine or setting that can detect a coin 8 to 10 inches under soil litered with nails with the coin directly under nails not next to. Has technology figured a way yet? .....

You have just introduced a 3rd aspect: DISTANCE under the iron you're trying to see through. I'm afraid airscapes is right. Because you have a "fighting chance" to see a coin under a nail if you're not talking a lot of depth (or if the iron nail and coin are right next to or touching each other). And you have a "fighting chance" if the coin is slightly away from the nail(s). Ie.: having a "peak", such that separation is possible.

But if you areas "littered" with nails (hence trying to see through multiple, not just one or two over the coin), and that the coin is "8 to 10 inches" deeper than the nails, then ..... no.

Heck, 8 to 10 inches is about what most of us can expect to get, while still maintaining a semblance of TID WITHOUT ANY NAILS.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best thing to do is just clean out the trash and get to the goodies. No way you can find everything unless you clean it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread