2 Hunts What a difference

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I spent 5 hours hunting an old farm that I got permission for while doing some cold knocking. I found a WalMart bag full of trash plus what is in the one picture. A Buckle, harmonica reed, and a huge shell. The shell is 4 inches long and has a dia. of 13/16, it also doesn't look like it necks down. On the end it has an A R 42...any ideas? I did find three pennies...one being a Wheat cent. Today I went to a small park in a little town about thirty minutes from home and found 80 coins in 2 1/2 hours. I was digging all of the time and found very little trash. At one point I thought I had hit the mother load with a reading on my AT Pro of 99. Digging down about 9 inches I found the broken top of a mason jar but nothing under it :( The top is kind of neat. Funny how two hunts can be so different. I had a great time on both. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• md1.jpg
    md1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 84
  • md2.jpg
    md2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 98
  • md3.jpg
    md3.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting that cold knock permission. When I hunt farms, I always find more relics than coins. I dug a lid like yours, mine has a clear glass lid insert instead of the usual opaque white.. Which direction out of Ashland did you go and dig the park? I enjoy a good cladfest once in awhile. I have dug about $100 less than last season YTD, but boy did I dig better quality this season.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, looks like a target rich environment.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I headed North. The lid had the clear insert as you mentioned as well as half of the jar still attached. I was sure there would have been something else in that hole. Who buries a jar without silver coins in it !! :)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I headed North. The lid had the clear insert as you mentioned as well as half of the jar still attached. I was sure there would have been something else in that hole. Who buries a jar without silver coins in it !! :)

Where did you go? New London, Rochester, or Fitchville?

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The small town of Nankin right at ST RT 58 and ST RT 302.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The small town of Nankin right at ST RT 58 and ST RT 302.

I've hunted a little around the ball field (pulled a few bucks) there and in both parks across from each other on rt 302 in 2014. I was hoping to pull some deep oldies from the parks in town, but did not pull more than a couple bucks in clad. I was talking to a gentleman who lives in the area, he told me that there are supposed to be plenty of time capsules that were buried around the old school that were never dug up. The school was torn down a couple years ago. Maybe I'll have to hunt that area in cache mode sometime.

Last edited:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to take a shot at your bullet shell. I am guessing it is from a a tanker machine gun. My buddy found one like yours but his has Neon stamped on it also and that shell would be a tracer so they could see at night where the bullets has hitting at. Hope this helps.....Matt

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I now know what that shell is. It would have helped if I had not searched AR 42 and Searched RA 42 instead:) Must be my Dyslexia kicking in. It is a 50 caliber round made by Remington Arms in 1942 for the BROWNING M2 MACHINE GUN. "The Browning M2 machine gun was the most widely used weapon on the American bomber and fighter planes of WWII. Due to the high demand of ammunition for this gun, many companies began producing the .50 caliber round to keep the supply available." (From the web site....50 CALIBER HEADSTAMPS
Manufacturing Marks of WWII) WWII 50 Caliber Headstamps Looks like I was also wrong about it necking down. Hard to tell as the end is smashed and somewhat missing. It is always nice to know just what the items are that you dig up...adds to the fun :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread