Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an anual jewelery sale.used to be at a popular roadside spot but now at the farmers market for security reasons.I bought a couple cases and bring acids scale etc.I dont even price them,I take offers and decide,sometimes haggle a bit.2x spot is avg for gold.10x spot for silver.I can easily get $20.00 for a simple ladies 925...2 or 3 bucks melt.

after paying 50.00 for my space I still end up light years ahead of melt.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't bring myself to part with them lol. Wish I could but I guess I'll save them for the day the USD is worthless lol.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've sold gold rings on ebay and I've found they bring very close to the scrap if not more, but with the Ebay and paypal fees (about 13%) you still take a slight loss. You might want to try one ring, show a picture of it on a gram scale with total grams and put in your title "for wear or scrap" but be advised most don't get bids until the last day or even the last minutes or seconds so end your auction at a good time when most people are home and awake. I start my auctions low and I have never been disappointed with the price they brought.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never dealt with ARA, I've had friends that sent their scrap gold off to other gold brokers and were disappointed in their checks but that's been a few years back. I would say about 30% of time I would get higher than spot on my auctions.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its too much work finding valuable jewelery to accept less than scrap or even anything close to it.I have no problem having items repaired if required.melt value,ara or pawn etc.,give nothing for diamonds or other stones etc unless they are large or exceptional in which case you would never scrap it.selling as wearable does provide value for stones.last year I sold a 925 ring that had a cross studded with small diamonds.scrap value $2.50....sold for $35.00

just one example,I have dozens.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't bring myself to part with them lol. Wish I could but I guess I'll save them for the day the USD is worthless lol.
That is the best thing to do IMO. That day is coming.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
skippy....dont sell online.sell one on one,you have a story to tell and the story adds value.Always sell in person when possible.There are many ways to look at it.I hunt for treasure,things of monetary value that can affect myself and my family.That is what floats my boat and why I responded.There are many other reasons for others to hunt.everybody is right,thats the beauty.

when it come to maximising value for sellable finds,I have some success there.If you are attached to your finds...DONT SELL THEM !!You will spend the money and regret their sale.forever.

I look at my empty jewelery cases and rejoice.Now I have to fill it again,I love the challenge.Do I miss my finds....yup.would I change a thing...nope.I am not a collector,I am a treasure hunter for profit.Cant make a living at it but dang....has helped and pays for all of our hunting trips.good nuff for me.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try a consignment resale shop. I personally don't like to deal with the public.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best advice to you is to build a relationship with a local gold or jewelry professional. I have been selling gold to the same local jeweler for 20-years. No gimmicks, no surprises, no government interference.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All ya need is to find a Bullion collector. I buy kt gold all the time. I pay over spot on some jewelry, spot for other, 95 for scrap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions