Opinions Please on which detector, thank you

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently using a BH Sharp Shooter II, the notching has stopped working and am looking at getting a new machine. I mostly go for coins and dream of finding jewelry. I am in Massachusetts. The replacements that I am looking at are Garret Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro DD coil and White Treasure Pro. If anyone has ANY comments/Suggestion/Recommendation I would appreciate any help. Thank you for your help.,,,looks like a real nice forum here :)

Upvote 0

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im looking for a new one also, use a BH Pioneer 505, its ok, just heavy. I'm looking at a Whites, maybe Tesoro? Shop around for the features you like & HH!

Joe.

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you don't need the slightly narrower iron discrimination notches of the Ace 350 (vs the 250), consider replacing "350" with "250" in your options listed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the ATPro..... More bang for your buck..

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest the Fisher F44. I bought one a few weeks ago and it passed my expectations. At $350, it is considerably cheaper than the AT Pro, but not much more expensive than a completely intro machines.

icemncmth

Nov 10, 2015
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ditto! .. I have a Coinmaster and I really like it. It has the Prizm mini on it. With that combo it still isn't as good as my ATPro.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
upgrading from an entry level machine requires an actual upgrade or you will be right back where you are now in no time.I urge you to save just a bit more.the f44 is a good machine and capable.the at pro could suffice as your last machine.in pro mode it is very capable and can hold its own against much more expensive machines.

upgrade=more than depth,it is speed of recovery,target id capability,consistancy and volume of information pre-dig.being waterproof to 10 ft.deep is a big plus as well.

the used detector market is another way to get more bang for your buck.watch many you yube vids on the machine you choose then buy used local so you can test it before you own it.

good luck and welcome...:occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Silver uMax - SPECIFICATIONS: Operating Frequency10.6 kHz Searchcoil TypeRound, open center concentric Searchcoil Size8" diameter Searchcoil Cable LengthApprox. 3'Audio FrequencyApprox. 630 HzAudio Output1 ½" speaker and headphone jackHeadphone Compatibility¼" stereo plugWeight (may vary slightly)2.2 lbsBattery RequirementOne 9 Volt DC (alkaline)Battery Life (typical)10 to 20 hoursOptimum Temp. Range30° to 100° FOptimum Humidity0 to 75% R.H.Operating ModesSilent Search All MetalSilent Search Discriminate $ 250.00 or so

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics Eurotek Pro with 11" DD coil at $299 or the T2 Classic for $499.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You asked for opinions, so here is mine. Just to let you know, I am a cheap B@stard. The 2 detectors that give the best bang for the buck are

1. BH Land Ranger Pro which will compete well against many mid level detectors, it is priced from $230-$449 depending on where you purchase it. It comes with the standard 11" DD Coil.

2. The classic T2 for $499. will compete well with most top end detectors. It comes with the standard 11" DD coil and there are many other coils available from both Teknetics and aftermarket brands. If you plan on buying a used T2, please have the serial number verified by the manufacturer before you buy. There are plenty of counterfeit T2 out their.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

TH is all over it.

It's a bit more money, but you will be well served with an AT Pro. Best of luck to you!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used DFX, they are selling on the forums for about $300 and you will be able to run with the big boys for an entry level price. Yes they are 10 year old but they are the badestass bang for the buck. dozens of coil choices, multi frequency wet salt sand is no problem. Bit harder to learn but you won't need to replace it. One on Finds, and one on Friendly for sale.. just sold my beater DFX to a guy for $160 and he is very happy (uses it instead of his V3i to hunt in the rain).

OP
OP
F

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you all for the great !! information,,,looks like I will do some more research,,,,and WOW I would have never given the thought of "counterfeit" detectors,,,thank you all !!!

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently using a BH Sharp Shooter II, the notching has stopped working and am looking at getting a new machine. I mostly go for coins and dream of finding jewelry. I am in Massachusetts. The replacements that I am looking at are Garret Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro DD coil and White Treasure Pro. If anyone has ANY comments/Suggestion/Recommendation I would appreciate any help. Thank you for your help.,,,looks like a real nice forum here :)

Not sure where you are in ma? I am in Rockland Ma, come by the shop
check out everything and test the detectors out
dennis

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't need the slightly narrower iron discrimination notches of the Ace 350 (vs the 250), consider replacing "350" with "250" in your options listed.

The DD coil on the 350 is a big advantage. I agree though, skip the 350 and get an AT Pro because you are going to do that anyway after using the 350 for awhile.

You will actually save money by buying the pro up front rather than buying the 350, selling it, and then buying a pro.

Or, you can get a used AT Pro for around $350-$400

I started with the 350 and quickly moved to the AT Pro. I now have a CZ for salt water hunting only, but the AT Pro is still my favorite machine for everything else (including some salt water hunting if conditions are not badly sanded in).

Last edited:

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites MXT/MXT pro, I have no problem finding the 3 kings (Silver, Gold & Platinum). Need I say any more.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Whites MXT/MXT pro, I have no problem finding the 3 kings (Silver, Gold & Platinum). Need I say any more.

Seabees, I also like the MXT Pro. I put the 10" DD coil on it and it is a very hot machine.
I just got a Sierra Super Trac off of ebay, and I am looking forward to using it as well.

Similar experience, but it is silent search, all metal and tone ID. You just have sensitivity, Salt/Trac/off switch and pinpoint. Depth looks the same as the MXT, but I need to use it a while to be sure.

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The DD coil on the 350 is a big advantage. I agree though, skip the 350 and get an AT Pro because you are going to do that anyway after using the 350 for awhile. . . . I started with the 350 and quickly moved to the AT Pro. . . .

Thanks, pilot. Agreed. Forgot about the coil size difference. The big coil is awesome for fields, but in tight junky areas it just turns into a beeper stick. I've been using the 350 hard for a few months now with the DD coil, and I'm already itching to upgrade to an AT Pro plus a super sniper coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread