Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Deteknix Quest]: I’m in!

$$$$ I am attending [Deteknix Quest].Post and win our prize. $$$$
POST TO WIN.jpg
Price Quest Pro.png
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deteknix/

My Metal Detecting Story

Ever since a little kid I’ve always been interested in finding treasures, like a lot of people, young and old. It was the summer of 1980 and things were good, my mom and dad just purchased a motorhome, a Minnie Winnie, we were so excited to hit the road. As we were planning our trip, in the corner sat my electric guitar, a beautiful stringer that I never got the hang of, being a leftie, the guitar was for right handed players.

I looked at my dad and said I want to sell the guitar, luckily for me a new consignment shop had opened up and my dad suggested maybe we bring in for consignment. About 2 weeks later we get the call, my guitar had sold and there is money waiting for me. As my dad and I drove to the consignment shop I started to think with a new trip in the future, my dream of finding treasure just got realized.

As we left the store my dad asked what did you want to do with the money. I didn’t want candy or some worthless toys; I wanted a metal detector. My dad was a bit surprised and at this time not much about detecting was out there. Living 2 hours away from Vancouver, BC, I got out the phone book and found an actual metal detecting shop, located in Vancouver. The following day, address in hand, my dad and I were off. Arriving at our destination, it didn’t seem the shop was no longer in business, my dad must have sensed my disappointment and said, well why don’t we drive around and look for a place that might sell them.

We decided to poke our head in a Pawn shop, of all places, I was shocked, hanging on the wall were a few metal detectors, I quickly fell in the love with the one that was a hipmount. It was huge but it was a White’s, what I loved about it was the not only the cool bluish grey finish but the Made in USA decal on it. Many years passed and I think I found a few horseshoes as we motorhomed our way through the Fraser canyon, stopping at rest areas so I could detect. Eventually I moved on and I don’t remember what happened to that White’s detector but it eventually got replaced with a Fisher 1235-X, which to this day I still own.

Last year tragedy struck our family and I lost my dad to a stroke, during his time in the hospital, my mom had told me, the ring my dad had made her, she lost but was afraid to tell my dad as he tried to recuperate from his stroke. I blew off the dust of my Fisher and headed to her place. I eventually found the ring, unfortunately my dad passed a week later while in rehab. A week or so later my mom, god bless her with her jewelry, she once again lost something, some silver bracelets, I wasn’t so lucky finding the bracelets but an odd thing happened. While my sister was visiting she took a walk out onto the yard to also look, with no luck she headed in, on her way to the garage she noticed a glimmer. On a bush away from where anyone would be gently lay my moms bracelets, as if someone had draped them for safekeeping. I guess my dad knew more about finding treasure then I’ll ever know and all this time searching for treasure when all along the real treasure was my dad.

ring.jpg

ring2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again, a fantastic and amazing story.

And there are people who still refuse to believe that miracles still happen.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, a fantastic and amazing story.

And there are people who still refuse to believe that miracles still happen.

Thank you again for the kind words, it's funny I became the dreamer-explorer in the family and although the outdoors really wasn't my dads thing, he did everything to support my love of the outdoors. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions