TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, new to the forums today and was hoping you could shed some light on the best detector for a 10 year old boy. I've been detecting since the mid 80's using a Garrett Master Hunter ADS lll. I know the machine up, down and all around and finally figured it's time to upgrade. I myself bought from Tony just yesterday. I took my son today to do some looking and narrowed it to 3 machines, the Cibola, Ace 250 and one of the white's prizms. If anyone has any futher recomendations I would love to hear them.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Wow, lucky 10 year old. All of those are great machines.

I have an Ace250, it's one of the easiest machines I have ever used. It does well for a good price.

Either way you slice it he will do well.

DM

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ace 250 and a cibola also. Both good machines . The 250 is great for the money but the cibola has better deepth and has a lifetime warrenty. It is also very lite. I love mine.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with birdman that Cibola is really hard to beat for the money.

Tesoros have super target separation and are excellent at pulling the good stuff out of trash. And they're easy to learn and use. If he drops it in the lake Tesoro will fix it free.

Badger

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
10 year old. If you want a new detector get the ACE 250 or get a used whites classic or IDX. Either way he has a very good detector to use and you don't have to spend big bucks. I bought an IDX/Pro on Ebay for my son. Came with accessories for 250.00. Also you have a nice back up.

HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with birdman, get him the Cibola. If your son doesn't take to the hobby, it will be a good backup machine for you. You can't beat the lifetime warranty.

If I enter another competition hunt I will get one as they have a freq shifter.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I would agree with everyone on a Tesoro as the better detector. However we have a 10 year old boy here that might be more interested in the screen of a ACE 250 or other screen types. The lifetime warranty of Tesoro could be useful for when he drops it, and you know he will.

There is a lot to be said for your son having the same detector as you have. It makes him an equal and you are better able to help him understand his. Having a son to detect with is a treasure in it's own

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
I also bought the ace 250 , as a first machine it is a darn good machine but I wish I would've chose the tesoro just for the fact of better seperation from trash/lifetime warrenty and I wouldn't have to turn&tilt my head to look at the screen to see what i am diggin how deep to dig.
And most of the time the ace has been wrong on the target for example it has read a 5c in the ground ,when I dug it up it was a penny .

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Normally I would agree with everyone on a Tesoro as the better detector. However we have a 10 year old boy here that might be more interested in the screen of a ACE 250 or other screen types. The lifetime warranty of Tesoro could be useful for when he drops it, and you know he will.

There is a lot to be said for your son having the same detector as you have. It makes him an equal and you are better able to help him understand his. Having a son to detect with is a treasure in it's own

I never thought it would happen but I agree with Sandman on this one ;D

Really, he got this right on. Why didn't I think of this? ???

Badger

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the ace because its so easy to use and its a cool yellow color! ;)

OP
OP
TimC (North Alabama)

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

Thanks a lot guys for all the great info. I think Sandman has the wisdom of true experience and that I should be thinking in that direction. So what ever machine I get for him, I will buy one like it, learn it and teach him so he will be an equal with me when we hunt together. Thanks All!
I will let you know how it's going.
Tim

D

Danielmc

Cibola hands down. Great machine, great depth, Auto GB, great price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread