I Am So Lost....

kreadman

Nov 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need Help With First Detector

I am looking to purchase my first MD and the more I research the more lost I get. I started out looking at the F2, Compadre and Ace 150. I wanted to stay around $150-200ish. I like the compadre for it's simplicity but don't like that there's no sensitivity control.

As I've reasearced further I've seen people discuss the Eurotek pro, the Silver umax and various bounty hunter products. Actually the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger is now $188 on Amazon and appears to be spec'd out.

I definitely want to do coin shooting but would like to eventiually get into relic hunting. Any guidance would be appreciated. Right now really thinking about the F2, Compadre and the Time Ranger. I realize there's a big difference in the specs between F2/Compadre and the Time ranger but given the price I didn't know if it might not make sense to get the time ranger.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have no fear, Brutha!! Before the day is out, there will be at least 10 "suggestions" on here for ya!! Welcome to TNET....you've just started down the path to a great addiction!!:headbang:

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you'd be happy with the Euro Tek Plus...love mine. great coin finder.

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have no fear, Brutha!! Before the day is out, there will be at least 10 "suggestions" on here for ya!! Welcome to TNET....you've just started down the path to a great addiction!!:headbang:

OK, here's recomendation #2: Get the F2. It is a very good machine for all the kinds of detecting you want to do, is reliable, light in weight, and has an excellent warranty of 5 years. The are many post on this and other forums by folks who continue to use it, for years, as their go-to detector. For about 200 bucks, you get a lot of detector.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
If it were me, I'd go for the Compadre. I also imagine there's a trim pot inside for sensitivity adjustment, but probably wouldn't fool with it until you've used it for a good 6 months. If you're "handy", fix it so you can swap coils. Did it to mine, of course voids the warranty, but I wasn't concerned about it. Don't think you'll hear too many complaints on the Compadre.

Another consideration would be the area you live/detect, and how mineralized the soil is. You may want a machine that can be ground-balanced. Regardless of what you buy now, you'll end-up getting a 2nd detector/upgrade in the future.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me I would just get one to get started because once the addiction takes hold you will have several more anyway......Oh and Welcome to the party!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter which one you buy, you will always wonder if the other one was better.

Just get them both...

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Compadre! You will not be sorry. Mine was hitting as deep as my Lobo Super Traq and had better discrimination. $160 and a LIFETIME WARRANTY. You Can't beat it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the machines you are interested will serve you well, but we all encourage you to use our supporting vendors when you take the plunge. Several of them will offer package deals that may include extra accessories, such as a digging tool, a finds pouch, our even alternate coils, and more. If you want some suggestions from personal experience, you can PM me...

After that, save more money for upgrading your machine, along with all the other swag and accessories that you cant live without!:laughing7:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and then, no matter what ya get, ya just have to have another coil. It's a vicious circle....but very satisfying!! Oh yeah, don't forget, down the road ya might want a pinpointer....:dontknow:
No matter which one you buy, you will always wonder if the other one was better.

Just get them both...

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
A first detector can be a confusing decision.

I would widen the narrative a bit and ask yourself if a good used detector can be found that is a little more capable than a new beginner model.

I have bought and sold quite a few on ebay, and on some I have lost money, others I have made money.

You may end up with much more machine for your dollar.

I bought a Minelab 305 that needed the 'ears' on the coil fixed for $150. I just happened to have a coil ready after we upgraded the 705 to a 10"DD, so that unit is a great backup.

I also bought a Whites SST for $200, I do not think many people know what that unit is. It is like an M6, really cool.

Keep that in mind while you decide.

I always think about resale value when buying certain things, MD's is one of them.

I currently own 8 detectors, 4 of them I bought new. All work great.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You think you are lost now ...Wait till you read all the answers you get here .... THEN YOU WILL BE REALLY LOST...

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Really no right or wrong answer, but consider this. You're new to the hobby, and honestly wouldn't be the 1st to lose interest. Many see the finds made by members of these forums, and think they can buy a detector and make similar finds, only to be disappointed when they don't. Most of those finds are made by dedicated folks who put in ungodly amount of research into a site. Sometimes it pays-off in finds, sometimes not.

Likely the 1st places you'll go will be your yard, school, park, etc. Maybe you'll find something "good", maybe not. Spend $3-500 plus on a detector you don't have sites to use it on (to justify that much cash spent), and you're liable to be kicking yourself.

Let me ask this, have you done any research on where you plan to hunt once you have a detector? If not, now's the time to be doing so, not after you've spent your money just to see your detector propped-up in a corner collecting dust.

Learn to walk 1st, then if you decide MDing is something you want to continue to do, then upgrade to a better detector. By then you'll have a much better understanding of all aspects of the hobby...not just seeing a site where people post great finds. Most who make those finds have paid their dues.

Many will argue, but a pinpointer isn't "needed", sure, they're nice to have, but master the art of pinpointing with your detector 1st. Lots of things were found and recovered for decades long before PP's became available.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the research, listen to these replies, Make a decision and buy. All of the machines are good from what I read, however I haven't used any of them. IMO, the most important thing is to learn your machine-----dig everything for a while will help in the learning as you can sometimes tell by the sounds, etc.
Welcome and good luck.
Marvin

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Eurotek Pro and find it has awesome TID capabilities. Around $220. It will discriminate iron out if needed and is an all around good detector. Control screen is large and easy to read and is lightweight to swing.
Best of luck with your choice!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are a personal choice. If you can, go try out a few detectors, that maybe helpfull to you.
You seem to know what you want to start out looking for, coins/relics. You also want to keep in mind what places you will be searching and the soil type. Some detectors handle mineralized soil better than others.
If there is a detecting club near you, go pay them a visit and ask questions.

If you buy on line make sure you don't end up with a knock off from China.

Once you get the detector, practice, in your yard digging neat plugs. Dig everything at first to see what the detector was telling you was down there. You need to become very familiar with the detectors language, it's one of the keys to sucess.
Research places to hunt, throw in some patience, and a sense of humor and your good to go.

It is a little confusing, with all the info, work thru it you'll do just fine.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
buy a used 600.00 dollar detector on ebay for 300.00,you will be way better off.i like white,s
good luck brad

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the used idea from Beerguy is the best way to go to get the most for your money to start with. After you have your feet wet you should buy the detector you want from a vendor on this site as I think you will have a better idea about everything after some time swinging. I would look for an Ace 250 or 350 on Craigslist and go from there...just my two cents. Whatever you get...read up and watch as many videos as you can about it then go out and enjoy this hobby. Good luck and Happy Hunting

BIGC

Nov 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the new Whites Treasure Pro, it has a lot a of features of the high dollar detectors and simplicity of turn and go

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you end up upgrading to a detector with a screen you will be glad you started out with one imo.I have some expierience with the f2 and was always a bit blown away by how much detector it really is.we still have my wifes and will prolly never sell it even tho she upgraded,coil options are nice on that one too.

I have heard alot of good things about the eurotek pro from folks who know what they are talking about also.either of these would be a great first vdi screen machine and you would be happy.

if you prefer to have no screen and sound only...a true beep and dig...no way you are going to beat the compadre,its a staple in the buisness as a beginer machine.

watch some youtube videos on each of your short list choices.you will learn much.make SURE you are comfortable with the sounds a machine make,you're gonna hear it ALOT.hunting should be fun.

good luck and let us know how you are progressing,we'll continue to help ya out all we can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread