Id like to hear from people with considerable time on BOTH the Etrac and CTX 3030

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to hear from people with considerable time on BOTH the Etrac and CTX 3030

So I've had an Etrac for a year and a half or so and have put some serious time on it. I like it a lot, but I'm wondering if a move to the 3030 might be a good move next spring. Looking at comparisons online, most of them seem to be from right when the 3030 came out in 2012-2013 and most of the reviewers seem to be doing it right out of the box with no real time on the machines.

If you have both, and have considerable time on both, I'd like to hear what your take on it is and whether or not you felt the upgrade was worthwhile. My main reason for considering an upgrade is I feel I could do better in some of the trashy and iron-infested home sites with a machine that responded faster. The target trace option has my interest.

My main types of hunting sites are old home sites, public parks, cellar holes, and a fair amount of door-knocking at existing houses. I know the big draw to the 3030 is the waterproofing. I'm a coin guy, hands-down. If I find relics or other interesting stuff, so be it, but it's coin-producing sites I try to hit hardest most of the time. I have water hunted with my etrac in knee-deep water, but it's certainly not a priority and I'm not sure how much water hunting I'd really do...who knows, maybe it'll become a new favorite type of hunting if I tried it. I don't really see a major use for the GPS as far as I can tell.

Performance-wise, is the 3030 noticeably better in the types of sites I mentioned? I'd like to hear from people who know both machines well.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Teknetics T2 Special
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did an e-trac vs. CTX comparison video. If you are "hands down a coin guy" I would stick with the e-tac, it's better at distinguishing coins. I was actually set back by the CTX as a coin shooter, it's a lot different and was tricky for me to adapt too.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you are the minority. Saw your video and there was a lot of stuff myself personally I did not agree with. But I guess it is good to get different viewpoints.

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like you are the minority. Saw your video and there was a lot of stuff myself personally I did not agree with. But I guess it is good to get different viewpoints.

The review was geared toward people that don't have either machine. I think for someone who has never had a detector, or a cheap one, that going straight to the CTX would be very tough. I wasn't downing the CTX, I just personally prefer the e-trac. :) If you have the opportunity to own both. Even better!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion may not count.... Being I came from an ATP. They are completely and totally different being FBS2 vs. VLF, and I have been finding the learning curve very difficult being their are so many different settings, patterns and complexity. It has been a very rewarding change from ATP to CTX. One of my long time friends has owned an e-trac for a few years and we have compared signals on a handful of hunts. They are fairly constant with one another, however I find the numbers are far more stable on the CTX (settings and profile depending) but he does find more modern coin than I do. To me hat is okay. Pennies hit hard, so I have a million of those... Well, maybe a few thousand... And I mainly hunt for silver or gold, so that's where I find it excels, and it's all about location too.....

I do find it a lot lighter than the CTX, but I am a big guy and the weight is totally manageable for longtime use.

Bq

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have handed my machines to people who have never run a machine and most have said the Minelabs are easier to run. Myself personally I think these machines are a breeze to run and everything makes sense.. I absolutely do not buy into the HYPE that they are soo difficult. The machines consistencies and Info given make it way easier to learn IMO.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did an e-trac vs. CTX comparison video. If you are "hands down a coin guy" I would stick with the e-tac, it's better at distinguishing coins. I was actually set back by the CTX as a coin shooter, it's a lot different and was tricky for me to adapt too.

I watched this video the other day actually - I mean no disrespect, but I didn't really know what to make of your review because there was no field testing or anything to base it on (in the video anyway). Not knowing your background with the machines, I thought it seemed like the review was based on the stats Minelab publishes on each machine (features, modes, etc) rather than field time. If I'm wrong, I apologize, that's just the impression I got.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up the CTX used on here from another member. I'd had the E-Trac for over two years. That certainly helped me understand the CTX better. The major difference between the two machines is that the CTX is better when you have multiple targets in the ground which could mask a good signal - the CTX is better at picking through trash. There are other advanced bells & whistles on the CTX, but you may never use them. As for taking the CTX in the water = o-ring swaps, tips & tricks - I shied away from that.

I sold the E-Trac here and picked up a used Excal II from a very honorable member on this specific thread :) The coming Spring puts me in the water, and just maybe I'll be heading to the coast for a few days in less than two weeks and the weather will accommodate!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up the CTX used on here from another member. I'd had the E-Trac for over two years. That certainly helped me understand the CTX better. The major difference between the two machines is that the CTX is better when you have multiple targets in the ground which could mask a good signal - the CTX is better at picking through trash. There are other advanced bells & whistles on the CTX, but you may never use them. As for taking the CTX in the water = o-ring swaps, tips & tricks - I shied away from that.

I sold the E-Trac here and picked up a used Excal II from a very honorable member on this specific thread :) The coming Spring puts me in the water, and just maybe I'll be heading to the coast for a few days in less than two weeks and the weather will accommodate!

Can you guys recommend any good MD classified sites? I know where I'll get mine new if/when I get it, but if I come across a good deal on a used one I might jump sooner. Who knows?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just watched JD's video....

Ergonomically I have to disagree - just me, my age, physical condition, etc = whatever....

A couple hours on the E-Trac and my elbow was a killer. I can hunt all day with the CTX and it is not an issue whatsoever.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you guys recommend any good MD classified sites? I know where I'll get mine new if/when I get it, but if I come across a good deal on a used one I might jump sooner. Who knows?

Keep your eyes open in the classified ads section of TreasureNet. I've purchased a number of things from members here. Also, please consider supporting the independent dealers on here. Be very careful in case you consider Craigslist.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep your eyes open in the classified ads section of TreasureNet. I've purchased a number of things from members here. Also, please consider supporting the independent dealers on here. Be very careful in case you consider Craigslist.

Honestly I've been around here for 10 years and I don't think I ever knew there was a classifieds section on here!

My go-to guy is always Fort Bedford Metal Detectors....so Keith, if you get a 3030 in on trade, text me!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My 2 cents:

There is no depth difference, for commensurate coil-sizes, between the prior generation explorers (etrac, II, SE, etc...) versus the CTX. However: whereas the 10.5 or 11" coil seems to be the point at which you hit the "point of diminishing returns" (only add coverage, not depth, on coin sized targets), yet the CTX seems capable of handling the 17" coil to add more depth to coin sized targets. Naturally it comes at a price of very fishy/warbly performance, fishy pinpointing, more masking, etc... But for the open beach or fields (where targets are spread out and you're not prone to masking), I could see how the 17" coil w/CTX could eventually lead you to some coins deeper than reachable by the prior generation.

A big downer for the CTX is that it doesn't allow for an in-line sunray probe. THAT ALONE has kept scores of users from upgrading to the latest incarnation.

Hence unless someone needs water-proof (like if they intend to wade or scuba), I haven't seen the need to switch.

And I agree with Bquamb: The CTX is very difficult to learn, compared to the other explorers.

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched this video the other day actually - I mean no disrespect, but I didn't really know what to make of your review because there was no field testing or anything to base it on (in the video anyway). Not knowing your background with the machines, I thought it seemed like the review was based on the stats Minelab publishes on each machine (features, modes, etc) rather than field time. If I'm wrong, I apologize, that's just the impression I got.

Oops, quoted wrong comment on last reply. :)

Hi Jeff. I have almost 4 years on the E-Trac and and about a 2 years on the CTX, as the only machines I've used up until this year on a regular basis. I wasn't giving information on the CTX for those who are masters with metal detectors and get deep into the fine details, and did mention that the CTX is more stable and will hit some targets that the E-Trac won't. I just found the E-Trac much easier to understand out of the box. And as Tom in CA said is true for me. I just can't get past the idea of not having a probe, which is a game changer for me personally. I like to use the CTX after I hit a site hard with the e-trac because my recovery time is faster with the e-trac. And the CTX ads some firepower to pick up potential targets I missed. I think the machines are even better together as a team. And the fact that the CTX is waterproof is a huge plus. I found the menu extremely confusing on the CTX and it took me a long time just to learn my way around. I know a lot of people have hated the CTX, and gone back to the e-trac, and then there's a bunch that love it and say it's superior in most aspects. I guess it's hard to say whether there's some issues of being user friendly or those that don't like it just didn't understand it and give it more time. I like the CTX and still use it sometimes, but it never grew on me and felt natural as a main machine. As for the E-Trac, I don't think I've ever heard a single person complain about the machine overall. Kinda like the AT Pro, it may not be the best machine on the market, but people seem to love them to death. lol

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+ 1 on JD's post of overall preference of the E-Trac over the CTX . This Guy (JD's variety channel) is on the hunt more than most of us all do put together ! The tones of the E-Trac seem to speak clear in identification of targets. Several people have had a switchback from the CTX to the E-Trac because of this. Paul, of Oregon metal detecting, ran his CTX for a solid year cleansing the ground of nails and trash with mixed emotions of why he ever switched in the first place. Every person is going to have their own experiences with these machines, however I for one have not been sold on the CTX as a substantial improvement in technology over the E-Trac for dry land. Happy hunting !!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own Etrac and the 3030 and so far I found the 3030 easier to maneuver through menu than the ETrac, it has a faster processor and I like the fact it will show multiple targets under the coil at the same time........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Several people have had a switchback from the CTX to the E-Trac ...

Or back to the II or SE.

There's a certain expert hunter here in CA, who's amongst the top turf aces around. And in the last few years, got into relicky ghost townsy type sites. He has told me that he likes his CTX for his relicky sites, because he believes it handles better in iron (see through/around issues). But has said that if he ever was going to do turf for cherry picking deep silver , he'd return to a regular Exp. II.

I do a LOT of relicky ghost townsy type site hunting (urban demolition, ruins, etc...) and never lack for signals to dig with my regular explorer. For the power-house that it is, it's got great averaging/see through ability. Thus that, combined with the ability to use the in-line probe, means I'm not going to switch to the 3030.

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+ 1 on JD's post of overall preference of the E-Trac over the CTX . This Guy (JD's variety channel) is on the hunt more than most of us all do put together ! The tones of the E-Trac seem to speak clear in identification of targets. Several people have had a switchback from the CTX to the E-Trac because of this. Paul, of Oregon metal detecting, ran his CTX for a solid year cleansing the ground of nails and trash with mixed emotions of why he ever switched in the first place. Every person is going to have their own experiences with these machines, however I for one have not been sold on the CTX as a substantial improvement in technology over the E-Trac for dry land. Happy hunting !!!

I dig more nails with the CTX, they seem to squeak through the discrimination more. This could be because the machine is more powerful, but I'm only guessing. :)

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or back to the II or SE.

There's a certain expert hunter here in CA, who's amongst the top turf aces around. And in the last few years, got into relicky ghost townsy type sites. He has told me that he likes his CTX for his relicky sites, because he believes it handles better in iron (see through/around issues). But has said that if he ever was going to do turf for cherry picking deep silver , he'd return to a regular Exp. II.

I do a LOT of relicky ghost townsy type site hunting (urban demolition, ruins, etc...) and never lack for signals to dig with my regular explorer. For the power-house that it is, it's got great averaging/see through ability. Thus that, combined with the ability to use the in-line probe, means I'm not going to switch to the 3030.

Tom, I would agree fully the CTX is better on relic hunts than the E-Trac, it's slams the mid/low tones, no argument there! I noticed it gets more depth/targets between the heavy iron than the E-Trac. The target trace technology helps there a lot. Whereas some of these target on the e-trac may sound really faint or miss completely. The CTX does handle the iron better so you can swing a little faster. I also noticed the CTX is easier to use in areas with heavy interference, the E-Trac chatters a lot more, making you miss some of the audio on desirable targets. The CTX is a much better relic machine in comparison.

I just think the E-Trac is the best machine on the market for coin shooting. Hands down. I dig more silver coins than nails with it, and I'm not picky when it comes to signals. You just know, even if it's a coin close to iron.

It's the same way with the clad. Last week I cherry picked $26.00 in quarters out of an athletic field. And only dug ONE trash target that fooled me (piece of aluminum) I've never used another machine so efficient at cherry picking. :)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I was running the coil over some grass and got 3 mixed signals within several inches of each other. I switched to discriminate and was then only getting a coin signal so I dug.
In the same hole was 2 screws (one complete one just an 1/8" long tip) and a wheat penny. All three came in clear on the CTX and then the machine separated and focused only on the coin after discriminating the iron out.
Seems to work fantastic on multiple signal finds. The finds were at 9-10" approximately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions