Whos using what for batteries?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Who's using what for batteries?

Since I'm just getting back into detecting following a few years hiatus, it would seem the cost of "doing business" (batteries) has gone-up. IIRC, I used Rayovacs, and was always satisfied with cost and performance. Majority of my MD's require a single 9v, as well as the Garrett II PP, but my DeLeon requires 8-AA's.

I'd like to have the 8-AA's, as well as 4-5 /9v, as well as a charging station. I'd seen mention of Sanyo Eneloops, but also they run (produce) a lower voltage than alkalines. I tried a forum search, but didn't see anything recent.

Are there performance issues (loss of depth) in using these batteries? And if they have become popular to the point several here are using them, where's the best place to buy? Or should I just stick to buying Alkalines?

I'm hoping to MD as much as 3-5 days a week, if not more (once I catch up on research and permissions), so opinions are appreciated regarding the rechargeable vs non.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are hunting very often, you NEED to be using rechargeables. Eneloops are great batteries, and what I used before I got a detector with a factory recharge battery. No, there is no loss of performance. 99% (I'm only aware of 1) of modern detectors use voltage limiter circuits. If you detector is set to use 6 volts, it doesn't matter if you start with 9 or 12 volts. It only uses 6 and keeps using 6 until the battery can no longer provide 6 volts, and your detector dies. Eneloops will not give a steady drop like alkalines. You will drop to like 90% and stay for almost the life of the battery until it suddenly start dropping and 30 minutes later it's dead. But you get a lot longer life from a charge on eneloops than you get from alkalines.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use brand new alkalines, name brands only. I get minie balls 2' deeper with the new alkalines than the rechargeables. And when they get to 60", I recycle the batteries at work and get new ones.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Something I forgot to mention, Tesoros have extremely tight battery compartments, and I'd read where some of the 9v's (rechargables) are slightly longer than alkalines.

I did run-across this post:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...eed-input-true-9v-rechargeable-batteries.html

And this one (more recent):
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/483343-simplest-fix.html

Jason, you don't by chance use a Tesoro do you? Interested if how the rechargables fit if so.

STC- That's what I'm wondering, if I should just stick to Alkalines, and look for bulk prices online (or catch local on-sales). Loss of depth is something I'd prefer not to have regarding batteries.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ Think we were typing at same time Crappies.

Read further down in that simplest fix post....the EBL's I use were a tight fit in my Garrett Scorpion...took 3 of them. Make sure the alkalines have wiggle room or you may very well be in for a very tight squeeze with Li-Ions.

That being said...Li-ions are fantastic. I will never buy Ni-MH or alkalines again. Just throwing $$ down the trash IMO....

Like I said...for me...zero depth difference in my Garrett and my BH's with these EBL 600mAh 9V's. If they fit...they are awesome batteries. Great price...great reviews.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
^ Think we were typing at same time Crappies.

Read further down in that simplest fix post....the EBL's I use were a tight fit in my Garrett Scorpion...took 3 of them. Make sure the alkalines have wiggle room or you may very well be in for a very tight squeeze with Li-Ions.

That being said...Li-ions are fantastic. I will never buy Ni-MH or alkalines again. Just throwing $$ down the trash IMO....

Like I said...for me...zero depth difference in my Garrett and my BH's with these EBL 600mAh 9V's. If they fit...they are awesome batteries. Great price...great reviews.

That may be the deal breaker right there. Love my Tesoros, but they're tight in the battery compartment area. That said, I'm glad they they don't use the snap-on styl battery connectors, which is likely why the batteries fit as tight as they do.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use RNB's in both my machines. You can go on a 10 hour hunt and the battery meter never changes from full. Best money I have spent detecting.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, you don't by chance use a Tesoro do you? Interested if how the rechargables fit if so.

Not really. I have a compadre as a loaner, but don't swing it much. I don't have a rechargeable for it, as recharge 9V have been historically problematic and I could easily throw in one a year and never run it down.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the RNB in my White's machines, Duracell for Alkalines as I've found the hold up better than the others when it comes to not leaking in Arizona heat. And my other rechargables are Tenergy brand NiMH.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Tesoros when I don't want to dig junk iron. The batteries are tight, 9 volts ones, but doable.

On a broad field without much trash I use a pulse induction machine, just to get the deep stuff, but it doesn't go much deeper than the Tesoro Vaquera with the Tesoro's big loop. The PI machine cost double
what the Tesoro did. The Cibola with the small loop won't even get a whisper versus the Vaquera or the TDI, my PI machine. The PI machine will put you in an insane asylum in a camp where a brass cap for a musket is sitting next to a nail!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a cheap alkaline 9 volt battery with long life try the batteries at dollar general.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the advice! I was already on the fence (reason for this post), lol, and still am. I think right now, what with the holidays and overloaded USPS/FedEx/UPS deliveries, I'm going to hold-off any decision until after the 1st of the year. I'd done a little reading and price comparing last night, and looks like I'd have about $100 investment for everything I need (including chargers). Maybe between now and then I'll see how the fit is in my Tesoros.

If I don't get off my rear-end, and this rain doesn't stop, I'm not going to be needing much in the way of batteries, lol.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions