Selling the stuff you find?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Never sold anything.... However divorce worked against me thoroughly :(

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post Skippy, a wiser way of looking at things. I never needed to sell anything I found, didn't even spend the clad I found.

My marriage was in trouble - I worked heavy hours and was never home till well after dark. One day she said she'd met someone. I owned the ancestral family farm, and the only way to keep her (his) hands out of this probably forcing a sale of the farm was to give her everything else - justified by telling myself I was doing it for the kids. Ended up taking the kids away from them in court.

I guess I really have no regrets.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just cash in the clad and cashed in some of my beat up silver coins for near melt....I'm lucky on the coins because one of the larger players is Kitco who's based in Montreal where I live.....just drop off the coins and get some extra money for my efforts.

The missus gets the woman's jewelry and the guy stuff I keep for a rainy day but yes best bet is to sell privately at a bit over melt on the jewelry.

Regards + HH

Bill

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alimony... ? You mean Allthemoney.

Danged near, kept a day job and contracted myself evenings and weekends as an engineering consultant. Set me back 5 solid years of clawing my way back. Went a week and a half one time without eating. Had $8.00 in my pocket saving for gas just in case somebody came along and wanted to pay me for some work. I did mailings. Over a 10 year period I mailed out intro letters to 9,000 mechanical contractors and engineering firms all over the nation. Seemed like every time my back was against the wall, a small contract would come in.

And then my older daughter called me and begged me to come get her, was on a project in Maryland. Went in the next morning, quit, and headed to Michigan. Four court appearances, and I took the kids. Did a whole lot of praying through that. The third court appearance after "they" left, the lady judge said "Mr. Turner, you take care of yourself". Next appearance I had the kids :)

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am glad it has worked out for you. Don't forget to hug your kids daily.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold to People who had an interest in the areas I hunted.

Examples: While searching a manmade drained lake that was used for many years for swimming.
and had historical interest to everyone who knew of it, I would lay all my finds on the hood of my car.
and People who stopped by would look at my finds And offer to buy things occasionally as Souvenirs.
I've also taken Rings to a community Yard sale & sold them. also sold rings to flea marketeers.
And Beer & Soda Cans from the 40's & earlier to a dealer at a Farmers Market, and sold them.
My brother placed some items on Ebay. I've sold Silver & Gold Jewelry & coins to Friends
and Precious Metal dealers Also. just about everything I find is for sale, Because I live by the rules.

1. it ain't worth crap till I got something for it.
(a $1.00 coin with a book Value of $1000.00 is still only worth $1.00
till you get more and Spend it on something else.)
and
2. If I found one, Eventually I'll find another.
or Not :tongue3: if time runs out.

the only find I have that I would have a hard time selling is the 1939 diamond Mills dime slot machine.
for two reasons 1 being nobody will ever offer me enough to convince me to part with it considering it's condition after being under Mud & water since the '40's. , and odds of me ever getting to the rest would take a major political change in the county :( or maybe a 2 million Dollar Bribe

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I developed a relationship with a local jeweler over the years, who tested and appraised gold and jewelry I dug up, as well as gold nuggets I brought back from my trips to Arizona. He has bought some of my stuff, and has helped me find buyers for coins and silver artifacts. You are always better off making private, quiet, cash only sales.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....so if I have one ounce of silver (925) and silver is say $14.00 an ounce. Can I expect to get at least 75% of the $14.00 per ounce ($10.50)? Or would I get less because of the silver being only 92.5% pure silver??
Thanks....

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find the book Urban Treasure Hunter the formula is in there as well as much useful information. Basically if you have 1 ounce of .92 multiply the spot value by .92

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread