need help with fisher id edge searching old home sites

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys need help in working old home sites.

I live in a metro area that is now covered with office parks and neighborhoods. Using the Historical Aerials: Environmental Assessment Photos | Southern California I can easily find the old home sites from the 1950's and earlier times using Historical Aerials: Environmental Assessment Photos | Southern California new maps and old map overlays. That will give me the GPS coordinates that I speak into the iPhone app Commander Compass. I drive to the location and then Commander compass leads me to within about 3 - 6 feet of the old home center. Yes these old home sites are often in office parks but about half of them are in green spaces which I detect on the weekend.

But the problem comes in the searching of the old home sites with my Fisher ID Edge with an 8" coil. I also use the Garrett pin pointer which works as described all the time. The Fisher ID Edge is another story. It seems to not be able to discriminate between old beer cans and old or new coins.

I have been told to ignore any OL (overload) signals. But every time I get a +33, +34, +36 and dig up an old beer can or sardine tin. Even setting the discrimination to +22 or using the factory preset to only find old coins, the beer cans and tin cans still spoof me. I have searched five old home sites in the last month with zero results in finding any coins. I rather suspect these old sites have not been metal detected by others.

Am I doing something wrong with the Fisher ID Edge?
Or is the Fisher ID Edge not up to the challenge?
Should I sell the ID Edge and get another metal detector, if so which brand and model since I am only searching old home sites.

thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately that's the way it works. Aluminum cans and other aluminum slaw and items ID the same as coins. If you can lift the coil and still get a good hit and the item is not right on the surface it's a good indication of a can. Can slaw depending on its size will ring up as anything. Sucks...but that's just what you deal with in this hobby. Good luck out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions