Best Frequency for gold detecting ?????

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Whites MXT PRO. I am thinking of getting another detector to use for gold detecting. The MXT Pro operates at 14KHz. I am looking at the Whites GMT at 48KHZ, the Nokta ForsGold at 19KHZ, the Gold Bug at 71KHz. Is the higher KHz better for gold prospecting over the lower KHz units? These detectors are in my price range. From what I have read the lower KHz is better than the higher KHz due to the higher KHz picking up more junk. I hope I am heading the correct direction. All feedback greatly appreciated Thanks ???
----------------
Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They all work great. The Goldbug II 71kHz, finds very small pickers at 5"-7.5" in depth. Smaller than a 19kHz machine - BUT NOT MUCH. If you are nuggetshooting, you should be in All Metal with an audible threshold in my opinion, but I'm an old guy.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't say what type of "gold hunting" you are wanting to do. Are you searching for gold jewelry on the beach or are you prospecting for nuggets and pickers?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jason in Enid was asking what I was wondering too. If you mean gold jewelry, then you really don't need any machine "better for finding gold". You can simply turn down the disc. on ANY machine, and go out to ANY parks, and load up your apron with low conductors. So lack-of-low conductors to choose from, in schools and parks are hardly an issue :) But if you mean nuggets, then disregard this :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tiny raw natural gold hunting is different than "gold jewelry" hunting --for natural gold nuggets / pickers much higher range models are the norm that must folks use...

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually the higher the frequency the smaller the gold the detector can "see". The trade off it that higher frequency equates to less ground penetration so lower frequency detectors often see larger nuggets, deeper then the high frequency detectors. There are many more smaller nuggets and flakes so the manufactures started making high frequency detectors years ago when electronic prospecting began. Do some research on your proposed detecting area to see what size gold has been found in the past, and then you can narrow down your choice of Gold detector. The MXT is an excellent all around detector including nugget hunting. It won't find nuggets as small as the GMT or Gold Bug 2 but it can find nuggets that are larger, and deeper than those two detectors. The 6 x 10" coil works very well as does the 3 x 6" Shooter coil for nugget hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread