ARRGGG... Should have brought my Metal Detector to Spain...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice photo.

Normal people look at a beautiful scene and think, "My, how beautiful."

We think, "I bet there are some great coins right there."

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice photo.

Normal people look at a beautiful scene and think, "My, how beautiful."

We think, "I bet there are some great coins right there."

I'm in the Caribbean as I type this, detectorless, with 10% of me thinking, "now, if I were a pirate, where would I have...." That it is only 10%, and I left my detector at home, is a victory in favor of my family and peace of mind :tongue3:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is Spain are you? I was stationed in Rota, not to far from the Costa Del Sol, beautiful beaches!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Of course, I'd have to have checked out local laws... but still......

there was a forum thread one time, of someone (from England I think), who had gone to Spain on vacation or business. And he'd brought his detector along, and had hit the tourist beaches. He did quite well. Came back and posted some great pix of a lineup of 15 gold rings or whatever. As the "atteboys" and "congratz" got posted to his thread, someone else came on to post "I thought it was illegal in Spain?". And that started a discussion about that.

The md'r said he'd checked/asked some corner street cop or beach security/lifeguard or whatever, and they'd just shrugged their shoulders and said "go ahead". And I think he'd even seen another md'r too, who had apparently been a "regular local" there. So he went ahead. And for a week or so, with nothing to hide, in full view, had no problems or issues.

Hence I think whatever you *might* find (from that oft-circulated list of European laws) applies , if you look closer, to antiquities type things. Reading closer you can see they're all couched in terms of cultural heritage, sometimes don't even actually mention "metal detectors". Like ARPA, pre-date detectors and were/are aimed at obvious historic monuments. And notice too any such citings of laws would apply to public land. Hence private land (farmer's fields with permission, etc...) would be outside the scope/reach of such laws.

In any case, there is no shortage of metal detecting going on in Spain I bet.

Chief Digger

Greenie
Oct 20, 2015
Vilonia AR
Detector(s) used
BH Land Ranger Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skip SH13, you mind sharing where in Caribbean... I'm on a cruise in march going to cozumel, Belize & Roatan. Would love to take my detector if I can find a place to use it.

I'm headed to the Caribbean in late January on a cruise. I have permission to use the detector on one stop. I think think it's a good balance!

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the Eastern Caribbean. Last year I was at those same stops. I think the best shot you'll have is at Cozumel, there's lots of sand beaches around there. Just get in a cab and ask them to take you to one. :) That being said, not every cruise ship allows them on board, you'll want to check first.

Probably the Captain didn't like the plugs being dug on the putting green, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread