Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Deteknix Quest] Post Up Your Number One Tip For New Treasure Hunters
[Deteknix Quest]: I’m in!

$$$$ I am attending [Deteknix Quest].Post and win our prize. $$$$
POST TO WIN.jpg
Price Quest Pro.png
Deteknix

Post up your number one tip for new treasure hunters. Can be anything from purchases, must have tools, hunting grounds, finding locations, sluicing tips etc.

:coffee2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone experienced any intimidation from other detectorists?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone experienced any intimidation from other detectorists?

Don't see too many other detectorist here where I am. I have met a few and they usually share places where things can be found. I know that is not common but it was still cool.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always keep spare batteries close by. Nothing worse than getting to a distant site and only hunting for a few minutes when you detector or pin pointer begins to tell you "I need new batteries".

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always let someone at home know where you are going. Never know what will happen.

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has to be in the ground for you to find it! Research location as much as possible, old maps will be extremely useful. All the resources you need to plan out your next hunt will be readily available online or at your local historical society.

GoldFinger006

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Nautilus DMC-IIB, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dig it! Dig everything about it, the great outdoors, the exercise, the alone time, the time with family and friends, and of course, finding great things.

Carpdogman

Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its about serenity and health. I still detect the hills and gulches of the prairie country where I live after 9 heart stoppages.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm a rank beginner I find I'm having a problem with one thing, mainly.... so my one piece of advice to newbies would be:

Have patience. You'll dig way more trash than treasure but keep at it and good things will come.

(At least I'm hoping so.)

:wink:

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm a rank beginner I find I'm having a problem with one thing, mainly.... so my one piece of advice to newbies would be:

Have patience. You'll dig way more trash than treasure but keep at it and good things will come.

(At least I'm hoping so.)

:wink:

Yes I'm a huge newbie still and patience is important. I find practicing pinpointing and knowing how to dig a plug. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but my practice plugs in my own yard seem to die after awhile so I wouldnt want that happening in a nice park or private yard. Great tips keep them coming.

fishnnut

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig those iffy signals sometimes a person is pleasantly rewarded...

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always remember to TAKE your battery pack with you!! I was thirty miles out of town when I remembered...DUH!!:censored:
Always keep spare batteries close by. Nothing worse than getting to a distant site and only hunting for a few minutes when you detector or pin pointer begins to tell you "I need new batteries".

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My huntin' buddy digs flaps....try that. We have re-hunted these areas and haven't seen any dead plugs:dontknow:
Yes I'm a huge newbie still and patience is important. I find practicing pinpointing and knowing how to dig a plug. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but my practice plugs in my own yard seem to die after awhile so I wouldnt want that happening in a nice park or private yard. Great tips keep them coming.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the time to learn your machine. Every machine is different. They have a language all their own, with subtleties of dialect and inflection. Study closely what you machine is telling you.

While learning, take a moment with each target to swing from multiple axis orientations, and from a little above the target.... maybe even change modes and do it again... note what your pinpoint mode tells you is the center of the target, and whether that is where your machine's hunting mode also says it is... if your machine has a VDI number, note how steady it is, or if it changes with swings from different directions...

Then dig.

If you do this... and are patient... and listen to what your machine is telling you... you will eventually develop the ability to know what you're digging before you dig it with a pretty high degree of confidence.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to have this problem too, until I watched a more experienced digger replace a plug.

If after replacing the plug, you use your digger to "cut in" the plug, by making small cuts with your digger around the periphery of the original plug so that the old soil blends with the replaced plug... you won't have this problem any longer.

I've gotten to the point where I can return to sites a day or a week later, and can't find any evidence of holes I know I've dug.

I like that.

Last edited:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig EVERYTHING repeatable. Figure out what the trash comes in as, after a few 1000 pieces, you'll get the hang of the Beep-Beep Dig.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My huntin' buddy digs flaps....try that. We have re-hunted these areas and haven't seen any dead plugs:dontknow:

What does that mean "flaps"? Does that mean leaving a hinge, could i possibly be sawing off the grass roots?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does that mean "flaps"? Does that mean leaving a hinge, could i possibly be sawing off the a hingee grass roots?

Yes, leave a hinge. I go from 2 O'clock to 10 O'clock with my digger and fold back about 2 inches depth if possible. That leaves enough connecting roots to feed the flap after you fold it back into its original place.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread