[Deteknix Quest] What was your VERY FIRST metal detector?

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Deteknix Quest] What was your VERY FIRST metal detector?
[Deteknix Quest]: I’m in!

$$$$ I am attending [Deteknix Quest].Post and win our prize. $$$$
POST TO WIN.jpg
Price Quest Pro.png
Deteknix Forum

What was the very first metal detector you owned?

:coffee2:

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The orange Radio Shack detector, as I recall, it had a solid black coil... this was around 1980 or so.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post up pics too if you have any. :laughing7:

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was a Whites Coinmaster I believe, hip mount but it was huge. I'm positive it used D batteries. Purchased used at a pawn shop in Vancouver, BC in either 1979 or very early eighties.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Radio shack model 2008 Christmas Donated that one here online to the 4 H in SC Found My Avatar with My 2nd One A whites Now I'm Swinging A AtPro

CHUG

Red Started with A Whites Now is Swinging A Garrett's 250

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radio shack model 2008 Christmas Donated that one here online to the 4 H in SC Found My Avatar with My 2nd One A whites Now I'm Swinging A AtPro

CHUG

Red Started with A Whites Now is Swinging A Garrett's 250

Good Karma to you! Nice for doing that donation.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Treasure Cove TC 1023 about 5 years ago for around $80, I did not know how to set it up. It sat in the shed for 3 years until I found Tnet the winter of 2013/2014. I was intrigued by all of the finds, especially the old coins. I then read as many posts as possible and found a good set up for the detector. I began swinging it in May of 2014 and got bit hard by the MD bug. It is a hobby for many but an obsession for me. It came with a plastic sand scoop and a hand held detector with a 4" coil.

61hmT77btvL__SL1500_.jpg

After swinging it for about 60 days it paid for itself. I then upgraded to a lightly used Fisher F4 with the DD coil so I could go deeper ($295). The F4 paid for itself in 4 to 5 months and then I ran into a great deal for the F75 LTD SE. I used the TC 1023 as my back-up detector for a few months and taught my brother in law how to use it. I gave him a deal and sold it to him for $40. The F4 was sold to a local MDer (Tnet member) for $225. The place where I work gives out service points for 5, 10, 15 etc years service. I saved my 5 year points and bundled them with my 10 yr points and finally spent them on a BH Land Ranger Pro for use as my back-up loaner this past summer.

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I bought a Whites XLT in the '90's, still have it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrett Master Hunter Deepseeker ADS III

Great machine and I was sold into the hobby. Spent too much money on metal detectors after that, used it for over two years before switching to the Fisher 1260X.

Like many people here along the way bought too many others I've since forgotten about. Bought my step father a Garrett Groundhog, gave my father the Whites 6000DI, my wife a Groundhog, gave my brother the Ace 250 nearly 3 years ago - who gave it to Cousin Bill who's first dig was a clad quarter, and his second dig was a 10k gold ring. He's since found a gold locket.

Bought a Tesoro Royal Sabre and my first find with that was a silver dime.

Then of course came the modern evolution with the E-Trac, then the CTX, then the Excal II....

I guess I need rehab..... 13 total, or is that 14 now with the Excal? Age is the main enemy of memory....

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger...used it to help me prospect for black sand and nuggets as I got into prospecting before MDing. https://youtu.be/ZpzpkWWkkAY

Son wanted to be like dad so we got him a BH Gold Digger to play with....."play" as in find a 10K ring his first day out to a local lake. https://youtu.be/kYEPPSBBXU4

Those 2 machines and what they found kick-started the hobby for me. Recently sold the Garrett as I plan on something better for the 2016 gold season. But the BH Gold Digger....you'd have to pry that from my cold dead hands. IMO..the most under-rated detector in the hobby...and only $60.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very first detector was a MineLab Xterra 305 - We went to Cabelas durring a roadtrip up island (Live on an island) and saw it, always wanted to dig holes EVERYWHERE - So we get the unit, go out to the front lot and start swinging not having a single clue as to what we are doing. We find 5 or 6 pennies and I am instantly HOOKED. I started to rear reviews and found that the readout was far too simple for me, returned it and got myself an ATP - Awesome little machine, but i still found it too simple (But damn it hit hard on canadian clad) - Ended up trading it for a Used CTX 3030 and here I am today. I wish I had a 2nd Detector for the Wife as she is hooked as well, and being I have MY 3030, she needs her own to follow and dig with me =) I am a lucky man.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Master Hunter Deepseeker ADS III

Great machine and I was sold into the hobby. Spent too much money on metal detectors after that, used it for over two years before switching to the Fisher 1260X.

Like many people here along the way bought too many others I've since forgotten about. Bought my step father a Garrett Groundhog, gave my father the Whites 6000DI, my wife a Groundhog, gave my brother the Ace 250 nearly 3 years ago - who gave it to Cousin Bill who's first dig was a clad quarter, and his second dig was a 10k gold ring. He's since found a gold locket.

Bought a Tesoro Royal Sabre and my first find with that was a silver dime.

Then of course came the modern evolution with the E-Trac, then the CTX, then the Excal II....

I guess I need rehab..... 13 total, or is that 14 now with the Excal? Age is the main enemy of memory....

The only thing that goes bad with this addiction, is the knees!! It's still a great addiction!!:thumbsup:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom always told me, ever since a very young age - B, You seem to love to dig holes. Whether it be from your big mouth or all the holes in the yard... Oneday you'll find your calling. 20 Years later (Now 26) - I have found my calling, and it is a perfect fit, me and this hobby are like Flies and Poop, they just go together without thought.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Probe IV in June of 1970. Still have it but it doesn't work anymore. Came as a kit with 3 different coils and a plastic attache type case.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's 5000/D in 1976. Still have it and it still works if you could stand the horrible ground balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread