Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a novice and answer only because I just went through this. With my unit came a 9" coil and a 9" to 9 1/2" is your standard coil. For greater depth you will need a larger coil as larger diameter equals more depth. For really trashy aras or nugget hunting or areas where there is a lot of interference like under metal bleachers you will need a small coil. Small equals pin point. I would get a wider coill than the one that comes with the unit and a small coil, 5" or less for nugget hunting. Those 3 coils should cover just about any situation you would encounter.

OP
OP
TxA_GunFighter

TxA_GunFighter

Feb 23, 2005
Fairview, Oklahoma
jimmileo,

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate your views and info. This is a great activity and I can't wait to get started.

Thanks again and GH,

gunny

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Hey Gunny
The best thing to do is first get use to your detector using the standard 8 or 9 in. coil it comes with.It is going to be your most used coil that you will always want to have with you no matter where or what you are hunting.
I use a 12 in. coil with my Fisher when I have a lot of open area to hunt and not much time to hunt it so I can cover more ground. And it seems to find small things OK also. But my standard 9in coil I trust more for reading accurately.
I have been told by 2 MD makers that the standard coil your machine comes with is the one it is going to work best using for all around hunting.
I would get the larger coil be for the smaller one but then I prefer hunting relics much more then parks.

Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread