Poll: (REAL) Other than product data, how much did you rely on reviews for your MD?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy any big ticket items until I have done my research, which is mostly finding out what others think of the ones they bought. You have to be careful of hype right at the beginning (everyone loves what they JUST bought) but give it a 2 or 3 months and see what they still think.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted for the first option, but my choice was made because of a variety of factors, including the reputation of the company and the price point. I knew I couldn't afford anything by Minelab even though they apparently make some of the finest md's out there... so I went with good solid name I knew, which was within my budget, and had a very large following online (YouTube, etc).

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like many, read the reviews, and look to others who made the purchase for their honest opinions. I am a cheap ******* and rarely pay retail. I rather someone else take the $$$ hit as I will buy used.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reviews are hard to trust. It's better to actually try them out, but not an easy task. Some detectors that are hard to learn but phemoninal will get reviews all across the board because they are tough to learn. Some easier to learn will be overblown . You will also find company shills pump out false reviews to sell more units. Study today's finds and certain detectors seem to rise above the rest. That what I did on what turned out to be my favorite and at first I thought I might have made a mistake but after a while it clicked.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is really a combination of #2 and #3.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I based much of my decision on what was being found, by whom, and what what machine was used. Reviews are all well and good, but, I like seeing results.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty much neutral when it comes to reviews.....my current everyday machine is a Tesoro DeLeon which is a mid price machine.

I read a review on it that stated they retrieved a silver dime at a measured 10/11 inches....ain't no way I've even come close to that depth say 6 maybe 7".

Regards + HH

Bill

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I based much of my decision on what was being found, by whom, and what what machine was used. Reviews are all well and good, but, I like seeing results.

I consider the finds made with a machine as part of its "review". When certain machines are showing a disproportionate number of old, deep finds then I consider that in my decision of what to purchase.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for reviews, I'd put more faith in the people here since you all are the ones actually using them out in the field a lot. Now I just gotta ask, have you EVER read a review saying this is the worst piece of junk I've ever reviewed? Me either............

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for reviews, I'd put more faith in the people here since you all are the ones actually using them out in the field a lot. Now I just gotta ask, have you EVER read a review saying this is the worst piece of junk I've ever reviewed? Me either............

If you are refering to the "reviews" in the magazines, no. Those are complete garbage and nothing but paid advertisements. On the forums, I have seen people give negative reviews to new machines. Remember all the problems of the AT-Pro when it was released? The O-ring problems of the CTX? Coil lugs breaking on the racer coils? Lots of machines are released before they are completely de-bugged. If a machine has problems, you WILL hear about it here!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all on My Explorer because of Circumstances.

However on what brand and my Sovereign , I spent probably over a Year researching all Brands
and Detectors before deciding Minelab & Sovereign were the Way to go.
Of course in 1999 the Sovereign was the Top of the Line Relic/coin Detector Minelab had.
The Explorer wasn't released till a bit later.

the biggest Factors that convinced me on Minelab was I was confident
the Spots I hunted were gone over by the Other Brands , But not with a Minelab at that point. and the BBS Technology was getting allot of Praise on the Net.

although I did Read Magazine Reviews, I must say, They were the Least Trustworthy in my personal Research opinion. Magazine reviewers Must give a Glowing report.
Or at least tiptoe around the drawbacks or risk being ostracized by the Brand insulted.
Personal User Reviews were More of what I went by.

Last edited:

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read every review I can before I make a purchase on just about anything. That's really how I ended up with the ATPro. Lots of great reviews and I knew Garrett was a great company that has a lot of good reviews too. So yes, I depend on regular folks writhing reviews.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of reviews and comparisons have left me scratching my head. People talk alot about service, seems the ones that break the most get their service bragged on the most.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of reviews and comparisons have left me scratching my head. People talk alot about service, seems the ones that break the most get their service bragged on the most.
You hit a good point! If you're getting a quality product, service should be at the very bottom of the list of pluses. If we're hearing about 20 broken malfunctioning machines we've got to assume there are tons more since a lot of people just figure it's normal, their fault, or don't even bother to send a defective machine back for repair.

Wonder how many of these machines are in the closet behind the 20 plus year old coats? :tongue3:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, I must be getting old. I bought my last detector GBII, word of mouth, 'cause at that time I couldn't spell computer, much less own one. :occasion14:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
My friend wants to upgrade from a cheap detector. He is overwhelmed by the choices. I suggested he look into the at pro because of its popularity. I also suggested the vaquero because he needs simple and besides that, I want to try it.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Total research and mainly look to actual consumer feedback rather than those who review them (detectors) that have ties to the manufacturer with a professional relationship. Even then, I look mainly to the negative reviews to see what issues/complaints people have with the product. The positive is just that, positive. All in all I usually fair well for what I am looking for.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best reviews come from those you know using the detector. When I bought my CTX 3030 it was a big investment. The reason I bought it was the reviews I got from other members of my metal detecting club who were using it and the fact that they were making more and better finds than anyone else. Turned out to be the right decision. In the 2 1/2 years I've had it I've found my first gold coin, seated half dollar, seated half dime, 2 Reale, 1 reale, Vermont copper, 3 cent silver, liberty cap half cent and a bunch of gold. I've also found more early coppers and more 2 cent pieces and shield nickels in the last year than in the previous 35. How's that for a review?

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best reviews come from those you know using the detector. When I bought my CTX 3030 it was a big investment. The reason I bought it was the reviews I got from other members of my metal detecting club who were using it and the fact that they were making more and better finds than anyone else. Turned out to be the right decision. In the 2 1/2 years I've had it I've found my first gold coin, seated half dollar, seated half dime, 2 Reale, 1 reale, Vermont copper, 3 cent silver, liberty cap half cent and a bunch of gold. I've also found more early coppers and more 2 cent pieces and shield nickels in the last year than in the previous 35. How's that for a review?

I'm gettin' ahold of Santa Claus right now!! Do ya think it's too late??:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions