Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk to Keppy...pretty sure he only uses "top name brand detectors" according to his sig....he should have all the info on hand. :laughing7:
That is funny but i have no detector that goes that deep .... My detectors go the average depth 10 inches give or take .. Minelab Sovereign & Garrett AT Pro & ACE 250.. And a old Tesoro Golden sabre........That is my top name brand's... WOW 20 t0 50 feet you need a big back hoe.. no detector... Then you may never get 50 feet down ...

Last edited:

Campo Dave

Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you know ,I think 25 feet is max for those high dollar drag mats you put behind a atv, even those used in construction to locate water pipes, or sewer lines only go 20-25 feet , maybe a machine owned by US Customs for finding tunnels would go deeper hardly something you could find at the local detector shop, but how about somthing relevant which machine do you think is better Garrett ATX, or Minelabs SDC 2300 and how does either of these machines stack up against the GPX-4500, and in what ground.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
metal detectors would not be the favored equipment for those depths. Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) is what you need.

Ground penetrating radar, at best, can go about 30-feet in sandy soils - and that's at low frequency, which of course also reduces resolution.
In highly cooperative soils, a GPR could get you down to 10-20 feet with enough usable resolution to detect something the size of a 400 troy ounce gold bar.
Of course, that's not without the very real possibility of some false positives. (Hope you like shovels!)
In clay soils, the distance can be significantly less, maybe even only a few feet.

The only way I know of to get down 50-feet, is to remove the first 45-feet or so of earth, and then use a metal detector.

That said, "Gold bars buried 50-feet" smacks of an archetypal paradigm because:

50-feet is such a nice, even number.
Bars are a nice, even shape.
Gold is a universally recognized valuable substance.
"Buried" implies "hidden, lost or otherwise available with effort", and yet we recognize that gold bars are far more likely to be located in a bank vault, or other secure location.

In short, a fairy tale.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... In short, a fairy tale.

Ah but the human mind wants SO HARD to believe in such fanciful legends. Lest you be "left out". So matter how many facts point to the silliness and "telephone game" going on, yet no matter: It's still iron-clad true for the believer :tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And how do we know there are gold bars?:icon_scratch:

Because someone got a hand-drawn map, passed down from someone else's grandfather, who got it in a bar drawn on the back of a napkin by someone who'd been on Yamashito's army detail . Or because someone saw smoke or vapor coming from a hole in the ground. Or had a vision. Or someone who told someone who told someone who told .... well .... you get the picture . But of course, these are all iron-clad proof :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just think of the adventures we could make possible if each one of us on T-Net would draw a map and pass it on to someone in the future.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every woman's dream - - - Gold bars and something that goes deep ***********

canyon

Feb 11, 2006
are you just looking to pinpoint your location so you can come up with a recovery plan?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread